Going to the Americas?

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Going to the Americas?

Unread postby ChristianC » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:44 pm

Well, I posted this on my devart account, but I figured I'd bring it up here as well.

I've decided I should pay the big US of A (and maybe even the Ca...uh... Canada), and I will therefore, for that reason, start saving money. Having a full-time job, this is in fact a possibility.

So, obviously, I need to go places. I would prefer to go from the east coast to the west coast, and then back again, seeing as many people/states as I can on the budget... which I haven't settled on yet.

So I was kind of wondering what people think about this. Got a place for me to stop? A recommended travel route? A punch in the snout to establish superiority?

Anyway, I'd really like to hear people's opinions about this. Hopefully this'll be something I'll do next summer, if money permits, but next year's my goal anyhows.

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Re: Going to the Americas?

Unread postby Besyanteo » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:03 pm

If you'll be in VA for any length of time, we could likely have you over for a while. I don't know that we could take you anywhere, though; Bad things have happened to Kristen's car recently, and depending on how long it is until you make this trip they may not be corrected in time. We'll see I suppose. Mike, Dia, and Spleen are relatively close to this area, but I can't speak for them. I also know Gus is around here somewhere, but I've never actually learned where that is. I have heard DC? The folks in Ohio are about an 8 hour drive from here, or a 2 hour plane trip. After that I don't actually know for sure where most people are.

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:59 am

PREPARE TO GET MUGGED!!

If you stop by in California I'd be glad to do the honors.

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:40 pm

:D Haha, two stops immediately! I am so going to Vancouver Virginia, since I've been to NY twice I have wonderful friends and that made me sound like a prick!! And California is a must!

Man, I am so going to save money off of my ass for this trip. It'll probably take a while before I get rolling, but I'm glad there're some places in the US where a Swede can find respite from the harsh mugged that beats down on the pavement in a rhythm I can't find it in my heart to enjoy.
Last edited by ChristianC on Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kai
Fighting the Iron Law of Oligarchy Since 2006

Unread postby Kai » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:31 am

Well, Archmage and I are in Indiana, and just south of us is Amanda/Nekogami/Reiks. I don't know that I'd recommend the midwest per se, but you are certainly welcome with us if you're around.

Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Unread postby Spleen » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:41 pm

An alternative to Bes's place is the house where me, Darkknight, and ElComodoro live in Maryland. It's much closer to Dia and Koss than Bes is, and we don't have our parents living with us. We could even put you up for several days, if you want! However, it's not as nice an area, being a college town and all (and I've been to Bes's house, it's in a really, really nice area).
"Tell you what, Leto, I won't fight with you. Zeus' wives are pretty tough customers. You have my permission to boast openly that you have beaten the daylights out of me."
-Hermes, the Iliad (Stanley Lombardo, translator) Book 21

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:42 pm

Naturally my delicate Swedishness requires me to live only in the nicest of places :[ Seriously though, I don't mind where and how I spend my nights/days, as long as I get to meet people and have fun and hang out. So any place is fine and I'm glad you guys offer :D

Seriously though, I've been discussing things with Idran, and we've reached some kinds of alternatives, as a road-trip across the fucking states is going to cost a lot of spondulicks.

1) Wait until some convenient convention and go then, (definitely the cheapest alternative)
2) Visit maybe two, three states and meet as many RPGWWers as possible.

Then of course, alternative 3) Go everywhere, meet everyone, work full-time three years to earn the money needed.

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:02 pm

On issue 1, please see this thread, which seems to have died, but will hopefully see a resurgence when the time is closer. Still six months left.
Anime is kind of like fish in that it is better the less "fishy" it is.

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:12 pm

I will restate, definitely the cheapest alternative. I can get a flight ticket there and back again for ~600 bucks, and with a three day pass I could easily do this entire thing for 1000 dollars. That is money I can very easily save up until then. Therefore, this is a good alternative! So, who else is coming?

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:46 pm

Well, I now have extra reason to!

Because that is where I will kill you, Christian.
"Tell you what, Leto, I won't fight with you. Zeus' wives are pretty tough customers. You have my permission to boast openly that you have beaten the daylights out of me."

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:29 am

I see a mouth moving, but I hear no words. Bring it, Spleeny-boy!

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:40 pm

Alright... I've been thinking I ought to visit Texas as well!

So I started looking at Amtrak routes and what have yous, and a round-trip's going to land on a hefty ~380 $, and it'll be a two-day trip just in one direction, four days all in all.

Thing is, as things are looking right now, these kind of costs won't be too much of a problem; I've got two jobs, and earn enough to put away a budget I think I'll survive on until March, the only question is whether I should go to Texas, or some other place?

Really, I just want to meet people, so if there's a congregation of RPGWWers somewhere else, I'll rearrange my travelling plans accordingly.

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:07 am

Why a particular interest in Texas?

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:04 pm

I don't know, I figured there are some people living there, but one of my friends whom I in particular wanted to visit has since moved to Denver, so I don't know. Lex has offered me cake if I ever visit Texas though...

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:03 am

Oh silly Swedes. Nobody wants to go to Texas. Not even Texans want to go to Texas.

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:21 pm

Actually, in my experience, Texans are the people who want to go to Texas the most.

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:01 pm

There's a funny story in all this. I have a friend, who lived in New Jersey all her life, that was in love with Texas. I say was because she went to Texas on a road trip. Before the road trip, she was all about the country music and said that she planned to move to Texas when she finally got out of college. This road trip took her from NJ, through MD, across TN, over to Florida, then back up the east coast to NJ. Of course for her, the big highlight of the trip was stopping off in Texas. Really, that was her only goal. If her tire blew out and her engine block cracked in Texas, she would have been content to just stay there.

Until she got to Texas.

The day she got there I got a text message from her that went along the lines of "I hate Texas."

I don't know if she ever forgave the state. And the entire time she was on her way down there, my roommate said "Nobody ever wants to go to Texas. Not even Texans."

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:48 pm

I am a bastard, and know the token Texan who wants to go back to Texas, but lacks the funds to do it at the moment. Especially some place called "Little Boston" apparently. I also want to go, but that's mostly because Shaun is there and I have seen him one time in all of ever.

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:51 pm

If Shaun wants to be seen he'll get his ass to the MD/VA area where all the cool people are.

Clearly, Christian should just come hang out at our house the whole time and RPGWWers from around the country can come visit.

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:59 pm

I second that motion, though I might be biased in this matter.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:14 pm

Besyanteo wrote:I am a bastard, and know the token Texan who wants to go back to Texas, but lacks the funds to do it at the moment. Especially some place called "Little Boston" apparently.

Have you told him yet about the Big Boston up to your north?

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:13 am

Yes, she knows about that one. =P

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:52 pm

Guys, what's with all this hate?

Although I would totally enjoy the fuck out of having people visiting me in the Americas, that shit's not going to fly, boy.

No, I've decided to pay a visit at least to Dallas and Indianapolis/Indiana, aside from Boston. Texas is a big maybe.

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:13 pm

Haha, I have no hate for Texas. I would love to visit the area myself some time. I just find it hilarious the sorts of opinions associated with Texas.

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:54 am

You know Dallas is in Texas, right?

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:09 am

PSchaw. Lies.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:48 pm

Honestly, if you want to know where to visit in the US, you shouldn't ask Americans. You should ask non-Americans who have visited here what they enjoyed seeing. IMO, it'll be a lot more helpful. Americans take for granted what we have, because...well, it's ours. We can go see it anytime, you know? Or we have grown up around it so it's no big deal. Also, I'm not a Swede, and I don't know what you've grown up with, so I'm not entirely sure what would be new or novel to you, and what wouldn't.

That said, you could look into the following:
  • National Parks -- located throughout the country, but mostly in the West
  • the Library of Congress -- located in D.C.
  • the Vietnam Veterans' Memorial -- also located in D.C.; of all the monuments in D.C., this seems to be the one that affects people the strongest. I've seen it, personally, and wasn't so moved, though it is a beautiful tribute.
  • the MoMA museum -- located in Manhattan, New York. Your interest in this depends largely upon your interest in Modern Art.
  • the Nintendo World Store, also in New York
  • Disney Quest -- located in Orlando, FL -- where Disney World stashes all their arcade machines. I thoroughly recommend it: not only do you get unlimited access to the arcade machines (as well you should at the price), but you also get access to a "human pinball machine" and a bumper car game where your car is armed with giant nerf balls. Super fun!
  • a flea market. Any flea market, so long as you can get a deep-fried Snickers bar or Twinkie there. It's American.

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:32 pm

What I enjoyed in America? Why, why didn't you ask earlier?

Times Square, New York. It's just... utterly cool to see all those bright shiny ads absolutely EVERYWHERE you look. It's like the Temple of Capitalism. While you're there, if you have to hit just ONE store, hit Toys 'R' Us. It's like an indoor funfair.

Disneyland. Don't fear the scary rides. You'll regret it for years hence if you wimp out.

If you see a giant outdoor festival, go hit it. They're cool. I went to the Portland Jazz Festival a few summers ago... SO cool.

And past that... just... absorb all the culture you can. Don't be afraid to go into a city, cuz it'll surprise you... and yeah. See everything you can. That's about it.

Have fun!

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:03 pm

I've been to NY twice, and honestly it didn't really... catch me, in the way I'd imagined it too. Don't get me wrong, I love cities, but NY feels really... international, to me, and although I liked Times Square, the whole city just made me feel "I'm at home". I'd much rather see the American midlands, and the more rural or... well, some of the lesser known cities. I'm not much of a sightseer really, but I want a slice of the American life, more or less, not what's awesome for tourists... I'm weird like that.

Incidentally, I might add that the NY police force has a deadly team of hockey players.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:59 am

Shop. That'll expose you to a huge amount of American life. Be sure to stop by different kinds of stores--convenience stores, grocery stores, supermarkets, gas stations, laundromats, restaurants, shoe stores, clothes stores, toy stores, electronics stores, car dealerships (if you dare...)... Be sure to go to places aimed at different social classes (both the dollar store, the Pottery Barn, and...whatever it is rich-ass people go to; the used car dealership, the Toyota dealership, and the place that makes custom cars). Also, ride some buses or other public transit if you want to see the racial and other demographic differences between the haves and have-nots of the nation.

If you plan to go to rural places, never travel alone. Good advice for anyone, moreso for someone foreign, especially if you have any trait that people could interpret as marking you foreign (like if you have an accent, speak in a foreign language, wear giant flag of Not America on your chest, etc.). There's a lot of ire aimed at foreigners, especially in the South, near the Mexican-U.S. border, although whites and English-speakers are safer than most. I speak not just as an American, but also as someone who's been mistaken for a foreigner because of a nearly imperceptible speech impediment that sounds like an accent. (Some douche in my speech class told me my political opinion--which differed from his--didn't matter because I wasn't American, anyway. What a cock.)

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:00 pm

Well, I'm sweedish, blond, kinda tall and I'd like to think my accent is pretty standard american, 'though I occasionally shift into British pronunciation because of early school years... but I'll definitely keep it in mind. Shopping I want to do, absolutely, although that's of course going to be limited to my budget, but I actually find some childlike glee in going through the stores looking for all these awesome brands of candy and cold-medicines I've seen advertised, but never tried. I don't have a license, so no car-shopping, but I will be browsing like a maniac.

Mostly I just want to meet peeps, and people too, since I don't think peeps make for good conversation company.

I'm going to have to hear that impediment myself once we meet, and I'll be the final judge on whether or not you are, in fact, American. I have a Bachelor's in English, I know these things. :zoidberg:

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:21 am

I for one listen with bated breath to the political opinions of our American cousins. We poor benighted foreigners, inhabiting as we do this empty land of ghosts and wind, would otherwise lack any moral compass of our own.

I'm probably not the best person to consult on the cultural side of things; I spent most of my time in the states surrounded by other visitors, and then hared off on a mission to visit all the touristy stuff. I do have moderately horrified memories of a brief visit to a Hooters so that a fellow traveler could pick up a shirt. It's strange the things some people regard as iconic, unmissable parts of America.

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:30 am

Hooters reminded me of a sauna. I was there for the nachos. Just sayin'.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:05 pm

Window shopping is still shopping :]

Aside from the aforementioned stores, drop by a Goodwill, ReStore, Salvation Army, or St. Vincent de Paul. These are places that take donations of goods--for many people, things they no longer need or use, stuff they'd otherwise throw away--and sell them for the purpose of charity. What you'll find depends on what kind of neighborhood it's in, but I've found all sorts of bizarre, awesome stuff, including but not limited to:

• heaps of old video games -- I once saw a bundle of Atari 2600 games, 16 cartridges for $20. Didn't have the money to get them.
  • old video game consoles -- At one Salvation Army, there was a waise-high BIN full of them; at another Goodwill, I bought a Sega Genesis, complete with original, Sega brand controller and hookup cables, for $8.
  • music CDs -- I've seen the Dixie Chicks show up in quite a few stores, especially in Republican Kentucky and Georgia, perhaps because they were critical of George Bush.
  • 8-tracks, records, cassette tapes, video tapes, laser discs -- every kind of outdated audio or visual media you can imagine!
  • old books -- There are tons and tons of books, comics, and magazines, especially in the larger Goodwills, which will sometimes dedicate as much as 1/4 of the floorspace to them. It's worth pacing through the rows and rows of bookshelves, especially considering most books are 25 cents to a dollar. I've found an early print run of Dianetics, complete with underlining--I decided to pass it up for a volume in the "Complete Women's Encyclopedia" from 1917. (It's pretty horrific!) I bought some honest-to-goodness government progaganda, a mid 1900s pamphlet explaining the importance of getting a vaccination against tuberculosis (even if you feel healthy!) I bought a slightly outdated, fascinating textbook about Deaf culture. I bought a Sonic comic. I bought a few books I enjoyed as a kid. Good stuff.

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:17 am

This is so going on my to-do list when I get to the US. I also want to sit down in a roomy coffee-shop and talk with people, as I think the experience is going to be quite different from anything I've had in Sweden.

Basically, where I'm going is very dependant on PAX. This is why I'm still not sure where I'll be going. :X

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:45 pm

Well, I have some bad news.

Well, bad... kinda bad.

At best, I'll be able to attend PAX. Anything else will be completely out of my budget. Job's slowed down to a trickle, which means I rarely get to work, which means I'm straining to pay my bills at the moment. I'm looking for another job, but I've got to use all my saved money to eat and travel.

So basically, if I do get accepted back into the Uni (taking my teacher's permit), I'll most likely be able to afford going. Otherwise, not.

Kai
Fighting the Iron Law of Oligarchy Since 2006

Unread postby Kai » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:34 pm

Do what you need to, man. If you can make it out to Indiana, awesome. If not, you're not missing much other than the blistering aura of awesome surrounding Archmage and me. Which you can conveniently also get online.

Good luck sorting stuff out.

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:28 pm

*nod* The RPGWWers of Amerigoland will be happy to host you in whatever capacity you are able to manifest yourself on these shores.

Keep heart!

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:01 pm

Big news everyone!

I got into the school I applied to!

So!

I'm going to the US! of A! YES! I've decided! I'm going!

So, now, I really, really need to know...

Can I stay with someone?

I can leave between Friday 19th and Monday 22nd (arrive on the same day or so), this being a trip to Boston, specifically. I've heard that some people live close to Boston, but not exactly IN the city, so I guess I could book a flight to somewhere else, but the main questions remains:

1. Can I stay at someone's place before PAX?

2. Can I stay at someone's place / together with someone during PAX?

Return to Discussion Forum