RPGWW Recruitement ad on the RPG Directory

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

Reiks

RPGWW Recruitement ad on the RPG Directory

Unread postby Reiks » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:37 pm

I was chatting with Ashley not too long ago about looking for a steampunk RP when she linked me to the RPG Directory. I asked her if RPGWW was advertised and she it was not. I thought that it would be a good idea, she agreed and a few days later, lo, with her help I drafted an ad based on their template.

We'd like some input from all ya'll (a more encompassing form of ya'll) to see if its up to snuff.

Appreciate it, friends.

Name of Board: RPGWW
Link to Board: http://forums.rpgww.org
Location of Mini Banner: (Not sure where you'll want this)
Link to account on the Board: Kai
Directory Category: Mixture and Other Fantasy RPGs
Contact Details: PM this account

Activity: Low
Difficulty: Intermediate but ambitious beginners welcome
Rating: PG-13 (bad words, violence, sexual innuendo...)
Types of Characters/Creatures allowed: There are 37 listed races on the RPGWW Wiki, ranging from elves to humans, to Dog people to Fish people, to angels and demons, and everything in between.
Time of where the RP is set in: The Main world has the option for players to RP in its past, present, or future. There are also a number of alternate universes with their own timeline.

Plot/Story: There are no overarching plot lines or stories. There are usually several small plots running alongside each other that get added to the overall history of the universe.
Other notes:
RPGWW is a fully formed board with a variety of RP environments to engage the creativity of its members. Began in 2001 as a small group of spammy individuals, it has grown into its own and matured into a place of RP. The main world, Gaera, is a high fantasy world with multiple continents, races, countries, and is rich in an overall history created by its members.

Philsys is a custom and optional RP system created by RPGWWers to be balanced and fun. Like DnD or many other systems out there that strive to create an even distribution of power, it takes time to learn but it is optional unless an RP is run under Philsys but your GM and boardmates will be happy to help you. If you're a whiz at that kind of thing and you see something 'broken' in our system, put it out there! We want it to be the best that it can be.

RPGWW's goal is foster intelligent creativity, open mindedness, and have plenty of fun doing it. It's evolution is entirely driven by the actions and ideas of its members. There isn't a stratified social hierarchy or us-versus-them dichotomy between moderators and members. Really, the moderators are there to keep the boards organized not to lord over you. Members are encouraged to police themselves and discuss their issues as a part of resolution.

We like to rock to the boat and liked to be rocked. If you're craving a place that will allow you to express yourself and your ideas openly, we're the place to do it. Even if you're idea is not related to our preset worlds or ideas, try it. Make it fun and make it good, we'll dig it. In spite of our long history, newcomers are welcomed and judged solely on either abilities to behave as rational, good folk. If you're looking for a stable board of dedicated individuals this is a good place to start looking.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:08 pm

Sounds fine to me. Though now I'm going to have to figure out where to stick that banner so it'll fit into the site design. :P

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:04 pm

Yeah, I think this is an okay idea.

Although I'm not well aware of how things are in the RPGWW chat, Gaera RPs are very... very... very slow here on the board. And I think there's only like... one of them active.

On the other hand, we have at the moment two Other RPs, which both have nothing to do with our Original Setting or System. This should probably be added for clarification (the fact that people are very much allowed to roleplay whatever they want here, Gaera's certainly not the limit).

I'm all for seeing some new blood here, I just want people to be clear on the fact that this board isn't exactly teeming with activity.

Kyne
Convert

Unread postby Kyne » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:49 am

More advertising can only be good if done in the right places. This looks like a good idea.
[img]http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p241/stormchaser6/RPGWW/kynbannerrpgww.jpg[/img]

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:29 pm

Christian wrote:Yeah, I think this is an okay idea.

Although I'm not well aware of how things are in the RPGWW chat, Gaera RPs are very... very... very slow here on the board. And I think there's only like... one of them active.

On the other hand, we have at the moment two Other RPs, which both have nothing to do with our Original Setting or System. This should probably be added for clarification (the fact that people are very much allowed to roleplay whatever they want here, Gaera's certainly not the limit).

I'm all for seeing some new blood here, I just want people to be clear on the fact that this board isn't exactly teeming with activity.

There's actually two Gaeran RPs active on the board; my and Shini's Beyond Time and Space, and Bes's Belelmund, but otherwise, yeah.

Reiks

Unread postby Reiks » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:44 pm

Looks like we can publish this Ash. No one's stepped forward against it so far and at least 50 cats have looked at it.

Give it until the end of the week and post to RPG Directory Sunday?

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:55 pm

Proofread it.

Wait a second. Let me try that again.

Proofread it.
"You haven't told me what I'm looking for."
"Anything that might be of interest to Slitscan. Which is to say, anything that might be of interest to Slitscan's audience. Which is best visualized as a vicious, lazy, profoundly ignorant, perpetually hungry organism craving the warm god-flesh of the anointed. Personally I like to imagine something the size of a baby hippo, the color of a week-old boiled potato, that lives by itself, in the dark, in a double-wide on the outskirts of Topeka. It's covered with eyes and it sweats constantly. The sweat runs into those eyes and makes them sting. It has no mouth, Laney, no genitals, and can only express its mute extremes of murderous rage and infantile desire by changing the channels on a universal remote. Or by voting in presidential elections."
--Colin Laney and Kathy Torrance, William Gibson's Idoru

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:20 pm

Also, if possible, try to describe the Gaera setting in a way that extolls some of its peculiarities and virtues, thus making it out to be more than your standard generic setting.

Kai
Fighting the Iron Law of Oligarchy Since 2006

Unread postby Kai » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:00 pm

Capntastic wrote:Also, if possible, try to describe the Gaera setting in a way that extolls some of its peculiarities and virtues, thus making it out to be more than your standard generic setting.

Any ideas on what you think we should say? Trying to decide what specifically deserves a mention.

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:39 pm

RPGWW is a fully formed board with a variety of RP environments to engage the creativity of its members. Began in 2001 as a small group of spammy individuals, it has grown into its own and matured into a place of RP. The main world, Gaera, is a high fantasy world with multiple continents, races, countries, and is rich in an overall history created by its members.

There's very little meat in this paragraph. 2001, still around--the rest is fluffy and common enough to be meaningless.

Philsys is a custom and optional RP system created by RPGWWers to be balanced and fun. Like DnD or many other systems out there that strive to create an even distribution of power, it takes time to learn but it is optional unless an RP is run under Philsys but your GM and boardmates will be happy to help you. If you're a whiz at that kind of thing and you see something 'broken' in our system, put it out there! We want it to be the best that it can be.

We have a system. It's a system. We're not sure it's all that good, but we'll be happy to tell you about it.

RPGWW's goal is foster intelligent creativity, open mindedness, and have plenty of fun doing it. It's evolution is entirely driven by the actions and ideas of its members. There isn't a stratified social hierarchy or us-versus-them dichotomy between moderators and members. Really, the moderators are there to keep the boards organized not to lord over you. Members are encouraged to police themselves and discuss their issues as a part of resolution.

This paragraph probably says the most about the community. We're smart, and we like people who are smart. We're not dicks, and we like people who aren't dicks. Presuming it comes off as honest to the reader, that's actually something of note among the glut of RP boards out there. Of course, they all say they're open-minded and fun-oriented...

We like to rock to the boat and liked to be rocked. If you're craving a place that will allow you to express yourself and your ideas openly, we're the place to do it. Even if you're idea is not related to our preset worlds or ideas, try it. Make it fun and make it good, we'll dig it. In spite of our long history, newcomers are welcomed and judged solely on either abilities to behave as rational, good folk. If you're looking for a stable board of dedicated individuals this is a good place to start looking.

This paragraph is fluff, and somewhat of a lie. I know you weren't here for this, Reiks, but I was discussing this with Zero and he reminded me that the last time someone "rocked the boat," by which he indicated The War or whatever thing it was about the martial occupation of Doma, it resulted in a significant portion of our longest-standing members parting ways, never to return. We are a gated community, though we do not require applications or any other such specific formalities, and it's best we acknowledge that or address it.

I can draft up something more specific this weekend if nobody else has done so by then. I might also post again about the grammar and syntax errors, if I'm feeling particularly crotchety that day.
"Anything that might be of interest to Slitscan. Which is to say, anything that might be of interest to Slitscan's audience. Which is best visualized as a vicious, lazy, profoundly ignorant, perpetually hungry organism craving the warm god-flesh of the anointed. Personally I like to imagine something the size of a baby hippo, the color of a week-old boiled potato, that lives by itself, in the dark, in a double-wide on the outskirts of Topeka. It's covered with eyes and it sweats constantly. The sweat runs into those eyes and makes them sting. It has no mouth, Laney, no genitals, and can only express its mute extremes of murderous rage and infantile desire by changing the channels on a universal remote. Or by voting in presidential elections."

Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Unread postby Spleen » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:55 am

I was talking to Priam for a while last night, and I bounced some ideas off of him of stuff that I would want to see included in this, the stuff that has made me keep coming back since December of 2001. We came up, at the end, with a modest list of additions that reflect this.

I've never made it a secret that I'd rather do something new and untried: invent a new world, make my mark in someone's fresh setting, etc., rather than put my plots in an established world like Gaera. RPGWW has always been a great place to make that happen. I mean, look at threads like this. I think we should give attention to the fact that in addition to several already-established settings, we are fully open to experimentation like this - new settings, different systems, etc. Saying that we have a number of alternate universes doesn't get close to getting across one of the real strengths of our forum, which is that if you've got an idea for an RP and you can make it sound appealing, this is a good place to try to find interest.

What's above also applies to systems (though less so). In addition to PhilSys, D&D has a substantial foothold in the forum as well, and I think someone ran GURPS once maybe? I might be wrong about that last. Point is, I think if you're looking at RPGWW's ad and you're more familiar with one-system forums, that might be a selling point, that we're open to new systems. Or no system at all, of course.

And I think the part on PhilSys can be improved by explaining some more of its virtues - openness to entirely new mechanics, constructive peer review of new characters, descriptive of non-combat skills your character possesses, etc. It's a system to describe people as much as it is to describe combat, and I think that's something that we should get across.

Priam and I also thought it was notable that we have such a focus on character depth rather than power or fame or whatever else. He pointed out his opinion that if a newbie got on the forum and made a good impression and made it clear that he understood that it was a responsibility as well as a benefit, we'd accept a new character starting as the ruler of Inustan. I'm not entirely sure if that's true or relevant (I've always thought of 95% of the Gaera setting as background information for people in Doma to talk about or people from Doma to go), but I wanted to list it here. The point is that we don't expect new characters to conform to some kind of cap on wealth or power if their existence improves the setting and doesn't step on anyone's toes.

We also thought it was notable that character wealth is abstracted - Priam gave an example of a favor done for his character in appreciation for saying something particularly cynical. And I, personally, have always had the nagging feeling that I got away with murder by having my starting character be outfitted in full mythril plate armor, but people have always let it pass (of course, that might be because I'm old as dirt here now). In other words, we're not the sort of place where you expect to be a second-class citizen when you join because your character hasn't done his share of dungeons yet.

Maybe advertise the fact that we've got bitchin' good artists, too?

I've also used RPGWW as a place to find advice, video game opponents, candid discussions on mature themes, medical knowledge (although you've been all but supplanted by my friend who's in pre-nursing; sorry, Brian), math help, feedback on stories/pictures/music I've created, etc. We're not just an RP forum, we're a place where all of my oldest friends are! I love you guys ;_;
"Tell you what, Leto, I won't fight with you. Zeus' wives are pretty tough customers. You have my permission to boast openly that you have beaten the daylights out of me."
-Hermes, the Iliad (Stanley Lombardo, translator) Book 21

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:10 am

I think a good thing to focus on, bearing all these points in mind, is what people look for when they're looking for an RP board to land at, what kinds of questions they have about boards--and we should seek to answer those questions, wasting no verbiage because even the best of us can only read so much of an entry in a listing of a hundred thousand boards.

So let's figure out what it is that defines RPGWW as a roleplay board, beyond (though perhaps including) the quick but correct definition at the top of every page on the site. What do we all stay here for, what brought us here, and how can we convey that with suitable conciseness?

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:11 pm

Small point:

Maybe advertise the fact that we've got bitchin' good artists, too?

Most artists I've met/talked to online really, really don't like being bugged for art or having their skills advertised when they are not already advertising those skills themselves. Especially on the internet, where people generally don't notice that they're part of a crowd of people all excitedly chattering and squealing for free stuff. It starts to feel like being followed by a small army of greedy squirrels who caught sight of an acorn in your hair.

So yeah. I'd hesitate to make that part of the RPGWW pitch.

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:53 pm

Point ceded.
"Tell you what, Leto, I won't fight with you. Zeus' wives are pretty tough customers. You have my permission to boast openly that you have beaten the daylights out of me."

Reiks

Summary of points brought up

Unread postby Reiks » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:06 pm

General Points:
-- Proofread the ad. (Loud and Clear, Priam)
-- Priam to draft something (ad) more specific
-- what kinds of questions they have about boards--and we should seek to answer those questions,
-- figure out what it is that defines RPGWW as a roleplay board, beyond (though perhaps including) the quick but correct definition at the top of every page on the site

Gaera/RP Points:
-- Describe the Gaera setting in a way that extolls some of its peculiarities and virtues
--give attention to the fact that in addition to several already-established settings, we are fully open to experimentation like this - new settings, different systems, etc.
-- The point is that we don't expect new characters to conform to some kind of cap on wealth or power if their existence improves the setting and doesn't step on anyone's toes.
--we're not the sort of place where you expect to be a second-class citizen when you join because your character hasn't done his share of dungeons yet.

Phil/System Points:
--we're open to new systems. Or no system at all, of course.
--the part on PhilSys can be improved by explaining some more of its virtues - openness to entirely new mechanics, constructive peer review of new characters, descriptive of non-combat skills your character possesses, etc
--It's a system to describe people as much as it is to describe combat
--we have such a focus on character depth rather than power or fame or whatever else

Community Points:

--advertise the fact that we've got bitchin' good artists (this may or may not be a good idea/bug artist for commissions, especially unpaid ones)
--used RPGWW as a place to find advice, video game opponents, candid discussions on mature themes, medical knowledge (although you've been all but supplanted by my friend who's in pre-nursing; sorry, Brian), math help, feedback on stories/pictures/music I've created, etc.

---------

Did I miss anything? Anyone have something to add?

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:22 pm

Perhaps it should be clarified that not only are we open to new systems in relation to Gaera...

...but Other RPs is exactly that; anything goes. If you want to GM a GURPS 3rd edition game based in a Steampunk world where China turned the Opium-trade around and took over the British Empire for shits and giggles... well, you're free to GM it.

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:23 pm

OFFER THEM CANDY! OFFER THEM CANDY!

No, I'm done.

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:33 pm

I'd like to point out that a lot of the vet roleplay pros here are often more than glad to help neophytes out, often going through the trouble of running games just so they can step in at a leisurely pace.

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:36 pm

Submitted for consideration, formatted as the above draft.

Name of Board: RPGWW
Link to Board: http://forums.rpgww.org
Location of Mini Banner: (this is a placeholder)
Link to account on the Board: Kai
Directory Category: Mixture and Other Fantasy RPGs
Contact Details: PM this account

Activity: Low
Difficulty: Intermediate but ambitious beginners welcome
Rating: PG-13 (swear words, moderate violence, sexual innuendo...)
Types of Characters/Creatures allowed: There are 37 listed races on the RPGWW Wiki, ranging from elves to humans, to dog people and fish people, to angels and demons, and everything in between.
Time in which the RP is set: Swords and sorcery; medium-to-high magic, middling technology (there exists at least one pinball machine, the automobile is currently in the process of being invented). Psychic phenomena also exist, though their presence is not pronounced by any means. Not too far from the setting for The Princess Bride, except with more magic.

Plot/Story: The city of Doma lies at the heart of the world of Gaera, largely undisturbed for decades, if not centuries. The citizens go about their daily lives, dealing with their problems as they come up--unfortunately, these problems periodically involve demonic insurrections, accidental rifts to planes never before heard of let alone seen, and the occasional megalomaniacal dream mage with something to prove. Just stuff everyone has to deal with, right?

Of course if that isn't your style, one of RPGWW's main strengths is the willngness, often eagerness, of the members to try something new--a new setting, a new style, a new set of characters; the important thing at RPGWW is not that the characters are powerful, or that the plot is coherent and cohesive, but that the roleplay is well-written, thought out, and expressing of character depth. So long as that is there, any RP goes, in any setting and system you care to bring to the table.

Other notes: RPGWW members have created and maintain a dice system for their main-setting characters, called Philsys. Character creation has rules but no boundaries as far as creative freedom--want to invent a magic skill that nobody's ever heard of? Write it up, and those who know the system will help you make sure it's balanced, without taking away the fun element; RPGWW has a long history of crazy ideas brought to life after peer review.

The distilled essence of RPGWW is that it is a community dedicated to quality roleplaying, in a very real way. Everything else is mutable, changeable--the setting, the story, the system--but the actual playing of the role is paramount at RPGWW. If you're looking for a board without all the drama, the bigots, the politics; or you want a good group of highly capable roleplayers to join, you have found it.

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:50 am

I like this version.

Reiks

Unread postby Reiks » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:39 am

More Gaera specific which is probably a good thing as it is our foundation. Dig and dug, good sir. I think it's a nice ad.

I spoke with Ashley yet a again last night and mentioned that before go-live for the ad, we possibly could do some spring cleaning. Just clean up links, update the outdated information lingering around, and anything else we can think of. She mentioned there were probably some old links in the Character Closet but the Wiki should be up to date.

I bring this up so that newcomers can feel like we've got our stuff together and find their own answers easily, as well as be shot a reference easily. That way they'll pass the word along to their own circles that we're organized and player ready. Word of Mouth can be a strong advocate.

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:46 am

Does this ad answer every question you would have as a list-browser? Does it have any misleading phrases, such that one might be surprised when they come here? Is there anything it is missing that needs to be mentioned if we're going to consider it fully honest (the implication that there is no drama is not entirely accurate, for instance)? And does it say what we want to the kind of people we'd rather have here, and does it also say what we want to the kind of people we'd rather keep looking?

Kai

Unread postby Kai » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:21 pm

RPGWW--compared to other forums where I've been--is basically free of drama. Again, this is a relative measure, but members here are so comfortable with one another as a rule that conflict resolution doesn't involve a lot of silly passive-aggressive sniping and politicking through the mods.

I think it isn't inaccurate to say we're drama free, because we don't have the kind of oppressive political environment that most people are thinking of. However, it might be more accurate from an objective standpoint to say that--while all forums have conflicts and social rough patches--RPGWW prides itself on not allowing these to turn into drama.

Archmage
REAL DOCTOR. FROM AMERICA.

Unread postby Archmage » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:24 pm

Spleen wrote:medical knowledge (although you've been all but supplanted by my friend who's in pre-nursing; sorry, Brian)

Good, because aside from drug-related information, I am not an expert on general medical subjects, nor is it my job to be. =P

But I should hope that if you had a drug or medication-related question you'd come to me (assuming you didn't contact, say, a local pharmacist instead) because I have no problem saying that nurses know almost jack about drugs (just like I have only the most basic training possible at giving a physical exam and am not really trained in diagnosis by any stretch of the imagination).

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:11 am

So I take the silence from the rest to mean we have consensus that the ad is OK as-is?

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:15 pm

It's fine with me, so long as whoever's submitting it lets me know when they're going to long enough in advance to let me get the button up on the page.

Reiks

Unread postby Reiks » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:43 am

Read it, sat on it, liked it, read the list of points brought up again, then ready the ad again... I feel like something is missing but nothing major is missing. I think this a good write up to send to RPG-D. If we need to tweak it, I believe we can make necessary edits as long as they are within the rules if we think of anything more.

What do you think, Ash? You'll be our ambassador for this. Is it your username worthy?

Kai

Unread postby Kai » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:33 pm

I'm cool with it. We just need to get the button up before I post it.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:23 pm

Okay, done.

Kai

Unread postby Kai » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:22 pm

And done.

Return to Discussion Forum