Privatization of space travel has another success

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Privatization of space travel has another success

Unread postby Idran1701 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:01 pm

This is just amazing; there's not much else I can say about it. Space X Did It: Falcon 1 Made it to Space

SpaceX has made history. Its privately developed rocket has made it into space.

After three failed launches, the company founded by Elon Musk worked all of the bugs out of their Falcon 1 launch vehicles.

Eight minutes after leaving the ground, Falcon 1 reached a speed of 5200 meters per second and passed above the International Space Station.

The feat is a giant leap forward for privately-funded space ventures, and follows the spectacular 2004 suborbital flight of SpaceShipOne.

In addition to Falcon 1, SpaceX is planning a second model two-stage, Merlin-powered rocket known as Falcon 9. It is expected to cost $35 million USD, and is designed to boost 9,900 kg to low earth orbit, and 4,900 kg to geostationary transfer orbit. SpaceX is also planning a Falcon 9 Heavy model capable of carrying bigger payloads, and also a space craft with a pressurized cabin unit known as Dragon.

There's a video of the launch included on that page as well. But $35000/kg to get something into LEO and $70000/kg for geostationary transfer would be an amazing leap ahead of NASA's current costs. I couldn't be happier that private companies are starting to pick up the slack from where they've left off in recent years.

Edit: Zero linked me to this. :O

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:36 pm

I'm surprised that there hasn't been much ruckus over this- especially on the internet, where nerds tends to thrive.

I think it's somewhat monumental, and it'll most certainly force some sort of acknowledgement from governments sooner or later as this sort of thing becomes commonplace. Either with praise, or legal bindings.

Return to Discussion Forum