Advertisement of RPGWW?

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

Dragon Sage007
Property of the USMC

Advertisement of RPGWW?

Unread postby Dragon Sage007 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:43 pm

So, we all know I'll be leaving soon. However, what you don't know is that I have 500 dollars burning a hole in my pocket before boot camp comes around and kicks my ass quite thoroughly. So, I was considering something. Advertsiement of my favorite web community. However, with that comes a problem? Where should I do it? How should I do it? What banner should I use? SO MANY CHOICES. :O

Well, as for where, I'm actually leaning towards Dominic Deegan. As the MUD community of Sabrous can tell you, it tends to actually attract intelligent, decent people. It may have to do with the fact that it was a MUD, but still. I've already fired an e-mail at Mookie concerning this.

But banners? Well, I could just throw something together. But I'm sure people want to take a hand in their own community, so...

In any case! Consider this my 3-7 month farewell gift, as I'll be in boot camp until December, and then in technical training after that!

Ark
Cho wants to kill with cute

Unread postby Ark » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:52 pm

Well its an awful nice gesture but I'd be more inclined to suggest spending the money on something else more geared towards your own enjoyment, or preperation towards your training.

But hell I'm just a lurker these days anyway.
[img]http://www.fantasydragon.net/choark/Signature.jpg[/img]
Some detectives just have The Touch

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:16 pm

I'm really not sure about that, honestly. I know I proposed something like that myself some months ago, but I've since decided it's not exactly the best way to promote an internet community. Affiliation with another RP site is one thing, but buying a banner ad...it seems crass. Yeah, I want to promote the forum, but through word of mouth like affiliation set ups rather than through direct advertisement.

I mean, affiliation is a more directly-targeted manner of promotion, since it's basically saying "hey, you like high-quality RPing, here's another place where you can RP". But just going out and buying a banner ad on a webcomic because it happens to be fantasy also, the average staying factor from that would seem to me just from common sense to be even less than it otherwise is (which would be a pretty impressive feat, yeah).

I do appreciate what you want to do, and it's a nice gesture, but I don't think this is the best way to go about it. Not without more thought into where to do it, at least. We don't just want to bring in a lot of people, we want to bring in a lot of intelligent people that come here for what our site provides, the majority of which will be staying around.

Dragon Sage007
Property of the USMC

Unread postby Dragon Sage007 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:17 pm

For my own enjoyment? Maybe if i could actually take anything with me-I've actually given away 95% of everything I own. Be cheaper to re-buy things. And I'm already in a gym that's in walking distance-so yeah. I'd prefer to shake up RPGWW a little. It needs it, after all.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:35 pm

Well, no, it doesn't need shaking up, really. It needs new members that will stick around past the week or two that most members have stayed recently. Just sending out random ads won't necessarily achieve that, you need to target things better than that.

With an affiliation model, it's less of a concern because the slow trickle-through is to be expected. It's more like saying "hey, here are some other sites you might like if you want to try them". But with a banner ad, it's a lot more blatant, which is more likely to turn off the most intelligent of people. I'm sure you've noticed how the folks most willing to complain about banner ads are exactly the sorts of people we'd want to draw here. Now, it's not the entirety, true, but it definitely suggests that outright advertisement isn't the best way to bring new members that would want to stick around here, and that would enjoy the RPing we do here. It's product placement vs. commercials.

Dragon Sage007
Property of the USMC

Unread postby Dragon Sage007 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:56 pm

And I'd be a lot more concerned about this, honestly, if I hadn't seen the type of people that came through to Sabrous. A first-hand account of the folks that ended up there...yeah. That convinced me more than anything else did, especially considering I was one of those folks.

As for not needing shaking up...I hate to break this to you Idran, but RPGWW is pretty dead nowadays. I remember when chat had 10+ people in it at all times, spam forums were filled with silliness and hilarity, and we had fun/frustration with certain deadbeats. We're running out of stuff to do-we need us some new blood, mate. At least, in my opinion we do.

But then, we're only two people, and there's quite a few more around here. Thoughts, everyone?

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:11 pm

I think you missed the second sentence of what I said, Sage.

"Well, no, it doesn't need shaking up, really. It needs new members that will stick around past the week or two that most members have stayed recently."

If I had to choose, I would much rather have 1 new member that stayed for a good few months if not permanently than 100 new members that stay for a week or so. And people that visit a forum through a purchased banner ad in the long run won't stay. It's a waste of money for a site without a pre-existing reputation compared to word of mouth.

Also, honestly, I'd hardly say the board's dead. There's plenty of activity on the board. Right now, we've averaged 14-15 posts per day over the last 3 months, a quick database check reveals. That's plenty active to me. And as for chat? It's because people are older and have other responsibilities now, that's all. There's hardly even anyone in high school on the board anymore, if at all.

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:22 pm

... bribes?

But seriously, to start, I do thank you for seeing a giant wad of cash, and thinking of us. Yes, RPGWW's... dragging, and no ball of dough's gonna fix that. But maybe we could... update our image? Hire a pro web designer to spruce things up a bit? Not that I don't like the job we've done, but we should never look down on a fresh coat of paint.

*hopes his crappy idea will inspire good ones*

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:46 pm

Sage: We appreciate this and suchlike... honest. It's a nice thought that you want to get more people to RPGWW. It's not such a nice thought that you're so driven to do it that you'll ignore us kindly asking you not to do it because experience and research tell us it's a bad idea. Idran is trying to be really nice about it. Don't buy RPGWW a banner ad somewhere, please. Especially not a web comic, regardless of that web comic's content.

Also: RPGWW really isn't as "dead" as you think it is. I'm currently in two board RPs and three chat RPs that are all exclusive to people in this community. That hardly sounds "dead" to me.

TLDR summation: For the love of god, don't invite 20,000 more like SD and XMog because you believe we'll get a hand full of Great Daves and Ghastly Knights.

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:50 pm

Any roleplaying community (or internet community in general, really) I've seen that pays to advertise themselves usually sucks.

I'd suggest stashing the cash in a bank account or maybe buying some books or something.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:41 pm

Kyle has a good idea. If your plan is to repurchase things, sticking the money into an account to collect interest is a decent idea?

Dragon Sage007
Property of the USMC

Unread postby Dragon Sage007 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:51 pm

My plan is to repurchase about $1000 worth of things-without deducting things I'm sure to get for Christmas and Birthday-with the $3000 I'm going to get while in training. Money is not a big issue with me. (Especially given that I'm such a skinflint with the things I -do- want. I doubt I'll spend $200 a month after that first one.)

But, the people have spoken. Mine money shall not go to advertisement. For now, at least-I might bring this up again in three months or so, because I'm just that way.

Instead, ice cream! And lots of it!

Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin

Unread postby Molokidan » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:08 pm

Well, if you're REALLY out of options, you know, you could always give it to me. I've got rent to pay here!
"Well slap a dead fish on me and call me Molokidan!"

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:04 am

And I can't afford community college tuition!

So, Sage, are you the sort of person who wilfully denies others an education?

Dragon Sage007
Property of the USMC

Unread postby Dragon Sage007 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:58 am

Wait, what? Since when do I count as a person? I thought my identity as an incorporeal, otherworldly being had long been established.

EDITED:To be snarky despite my misreading of Zero's comments. Also, Cho, since I landed on Park Place last turn, my chances of landing on your spot and paying your rent is low.

Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Unread postby Spleen » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:37 am

Choark =/= Molokidan.

It's science.
"Tell you what, Leto, I won't fight with you. Zeus' wives are pretty tough customers. You have my permission to boast openly that you have beaten the daylights out of me."
-Hermes, the Iliad (Stanley Lombardo, translator) Book 21

Dragon Sage007
Property of the USMC

Unread postby Dragon Sage007 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:53 am

Didn't they fuse last episode?

Ark
Cho wants to kill with cute

Unread postby Ark » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:34 am

Actually that was a Skrull pretending to be me.
[img]http://www.fantasydragon.net/choark/Signature.jpg[/img]
Some detectives just have The Touch

Dragon Sage007
Property of the USMC

Unread postby Dragon Sage007 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:41 pm

Dammit Molokicho, no spoilers! >:

I also heartily recommend this thread be moved to spam now that it has served its purpose.

Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:42 pm

I wasn't aware any thread Sage makes serves any purpose.
Hey there! Can I give you a hand?

Dragon Sage007
Property of the USMC

Unread postby Dragon Sage007 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:52 pm

You learned something today then! Don't you feel special!

*Gives Shini a gold star*

Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin

Unread postby Molokidan » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:44 pm

Now, being called Choark, that I can handle, but a Skrull?

How DARE YOU!!
"Well slap a dead fish on me and call me Molokidan!"

Return to Discussion Forum