this thread is about Wii games

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

pd Rydia

this thread is about Wii games

Unread postby pd Rydia » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:53 pm

So Mike and I walked into a store the other day, and I <s>said ouch</s> found out from the salesclerk that there were Wiis in stock...so, you know, we got one. My question for you, then--should you choose to answer it--is about games; more specifically, what's worth buying, and what's not.

I'm especially interested in opinions on the VC collection as I haven't played most of those games. I'd also like to know who besides Blockbuster and online stores do game rentals, or if anyone has a favored store for renting.

:ghost: I chatted with BW about this yesterday, and it was a lot of fun. Let us be of game talking?

FF Fanatic 80
Driver of the OOC Bus

Unread postby FF Fanatic 80 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:27 pm

Sadly, most of my Wii experience is 2nd hand. =/
I did have some fun with WarioWare over a friend's, though that's probably more of a party-gamish one.

Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin

Unread postby Molokidan » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:16 pm

WarioWare gets old pretty fast, in my opinion.

Of course, Zelda is a must. More than plain ol' Wii games, though, you should definitely take advantage of the Virtual Console option! So many awesome games that are hard to get ahold of otherwise.

GameFly, which is pretty much like the videogame version of Netflix, is freaking AWESOME. http://www.gamefly.com/

So as far as rentals go, you can check that out.

Also, Super Paper Mario is amazing.
"Well slap a dead fish on me and call me Molokidan!"

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:45 pm

To be quite serious, most of the time I spend on our Wii is with either the <strike>Everybody Votes</strike> Cat's Butt Channel or Punch-Out!! or Zelda 2. I've finished Super Paper Mario, but the replay value isn't all that. Periodically we'll get people over here to play Mario Party (do not get 8, it is not really worth it--instead, play the older Gamecube ones). But that's about it.

Not a lot of games have come out for the thing that are really all that compelling except in a party aspect, which is only applicable if you have a regular influx of people which varies to some extent, which is comprised of gamers.

Did I mention that I hate the shit out of the idea that developers got that somehow every single game in existence has to implement waggle controls? Because I hate it a lot. I would sell my left nad for two-analog-axis functionality with the majority of Wii games. Elebits and Transformers pop to mind immediately.
"You haven't told me what I'm looking for."
"Anything that might be of interest to Slitscan. Which is to say, anything that might be of interest to Slitscan's audience. Which is best visualized as a vicious, lazy, profoundly ignorant, perpetually hungry organism craving the warm god-flesh of the anointed. Personally I like to imagine something the size of a baby hippo, the color of a week-old boiled potato, that lives by itself, in the dark, in a double-wide on the outskirts of Topeka. It's covered with eyes and it sweats constantly. The sweat runs into those eyes and makes them sting. It has no mouth, Laney, no genitals, and can only express its mute extremes of murderous rage and infantile desire by changing the channels on a universal remote. Or by voting in presidential elections."
--Colin Laney and Kathy Torrance, William Gibson's Idoru

Animala
HATED BY SKELETONS

Unread postby Animala » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:52 pm

Dia posting as <s>Mike</s> Animala:

WarioWare is a consideration; the home comes equipped with multiplayer, after all, and we've a third player in the form of my brother, who lives in the apartment complex. Rayman Raving Rabids has also been suggested, though I imagine getting both would be terribly overboard.

Molo:
Any specific VC recommendations? And yes, Super Paper Mario IS awesome, which is why we have it! ::high fives Molokidan:: Mike agrees on Zelda; we were deciding between the two games at the store and I vied for SPM, wanting something lighter in tone and easier to jump in and out of.

Priam:
Yeah, I've had Mario Party Wii/DS suggested to me by a hojillion folks, but as it turns out, I've yet to even try our Gamecube version. I'm sure I will at some point, but until then, I'm sure I can hold off on the Wii version.

But, more importantly, what IS Punch Out? I understand there is punching of some sort involved, but that's about it. Is the game at all comparable to, say, Rampage, cuz Rampage had a lot of punching, and I sure loved me some Rampage.

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:10 pm

Punch-Out!! is one of the funnest NES games ever, I am convinced. It's the boxing thing, the Mike Tyson one. King Hippo, Glass Joe, all that. You should play it.
"Anything that might be of interest to Slitscan. Which is to say, anything that might be of interest to Slitscan's audience. Which is best visualized as a vicious, lazy, profoundly ignorant, perpetually hungry organism craving the warm god-flesh of the anointed. Personally I like to imagine something the size of a baby hippo, the color of a week-old boiled potato, that lives by itself, in the dark, in a double-wide on the outskirts of Topeka. It's covered with eyes and it sweats constantly. The sweat runs into those eyes and makes them sting. It has no mouth, Laney, no genitals, and can only express its mute extremes of murderous rage and infantile desire by changing the channels on a universal remote. Or by voting in presidential elections."

WillBaseton
Self-Proclaimed Gaming Guru

Unread postby WillBaseton » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:12 am

As a Wii owner, I've been relatively lukewarm on the entire console since finishing Twilight Princess (I share Priam's rage at the inability of developers to make a game that doesn't have waggle shoehorned in), but there's certainly a few games on there worth getting.

Number one on the list: Gunstar. Fucking. Heroes. One of the best games on the Genesis in general, and one that actually has a halfway decent co-op play. Sure, it's a Virtual Console title, but it's worth the money. It was the first game I got on the VC, if I remember right. It's a classic.

As Priam said, Super Paper Mario's a decent game, but if sidequests or replayability are your game, it'll be sorely disappointing. I've actually not beaten it myself, but I tend to tire quickly of cuteness and its ilk. I'll probably finish it off at some point.

But if it's multiplayer you're looking for, Mario Strikers: Charged is actually quite a capable game, being the first US Wii game without the word Pokemon in the title to make use of the Wii's internet mode for PvP gaming. It's not the deepest game in the universe, but it's certainly fun, and it's endlessly entertaining to bean the hell out of Nintendo characters. Not to mention the music is pretty catchy for a sports game (Luigi's latin salsa theme, for example).

However, the single player mode has one fatal flaw: it has some of the most cruel, sadistic, mean, and assholish AI I've seen since the NES era. While the AI's relatively tame at the early levels, it starts to grow more insane as you progress and will VISIBLY cheat in the upper difficulty levels. However, as a game for two to four player hot-seat play, it's definitely worth a look (provided you have the Nunchuks to make it worthwhile, as it requires one per player).

I'll try to think of other noteworthy titles (I have something like 12 VC games and 7 disc-based games) tomorrow when I'm not exhausted, and if you want to talk in more depth on any of them, I'm available. Hope it helps some!

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:30 am

I'm not convinced that Waggle is a worse mechanic than Button Mashing, honestly. Not that I was ever terribly fond of button mashing.
Anime is kind of like fish in that it is better the less "fishy" it is.

Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin

Unread postby Molokidan » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:09 am

VC Recommendations:

Toejam & Earl. Just because you CAN.

Super Ghouls n' Ghosts. Want some masochistic, frustrating-as-hell old-school SNES action? This game swallowed my soul for two weeks. It's so hardcore, when you get to the last level, it makes you do something horrible. And I won't spoil it, because the realization is half the punishment.

Super Castlevania IV: This game can be beaten really quickly depending on your skill, but it is a classic.

Contra 3: If you have two controllers, this game is awesome.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms 4: Wall of Fire: This was such a random addition, IMO, that I had to download it and check it out. But I was actually surprised at how intricate it was, like an east Asian version of Civilization.

ActRaiser: This game is super fun.

I also agree with Gunstar Heroes. Additionally, they just released SHINING FORCE!!! for the VC, which is an absolute must.
"Well slap a dead fish on me and call me Molokidan!"

WillBaseton
Self-Proclaimed Gaming Guru

Unread postby WillBaseton » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:39 am

BrainWalker wrote:I'm not convinced that Waggle is a worse mechanic than Button Mashing, honestly. Not that I was ever terribly fond of button mashing.

For gamers with carpal tunnel syndrome, waggle is infinitely worse due to the repetitive wrist strain. It makes it impossible to play games for more than an hour at a time without cramping up. This is why I still to this day haven't beaten Sonic and the Secret Rings...you need to shake the controller just to attack. Ow.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:58 am

PriamNevhausten wrote:It's the boxing thing, the Mike Tyson one. King Hippo, Glass Joe, all that.
...Okay? :[??

FF Fanatic 80
Driver of the OOC Bus

Unread postby FF Fanatic 80 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:52 pm

Animala
HATED BY SKELETONS

Unread postby Animala » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:12 pm

:eng101: ...Okay!

Speaking of stuff, we got the Wii connected to the internets. So, wii coded and stuff!

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:36 pm

I am entirely and completely convinced that waggle is a way, way worse mechanic than button mashing. Do you know why? Because you can actually CONTROL buttonmashing. Waggle, it's a crapshoot all the way.

Also, the Glorious Condo's Wii code is as follows: 1959 9883 7421 2195

Return to Discussion Forum