Be All You Can Be...

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

Dragon Sage007
Property of the USMC

Be All You Can Be...

Unread postby Dragon Sage007 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:10 pm

So, your lovable, huggable Sage is off to join the Marines. Many of you know this already, but I felt an actual post was in order. I also feel I should explain why I did it in much more detail than I already have-seeing as how I have about a bajillion reasons why I'm doing it. (I needed them all to convince myself it was a good idea, so you know.)

First, the selfish reasons.
1)Money for College.
2)Money for later.
3)Free rent+food.
Those last two are minor to me-once I get enough money for room and board, and a little extra for nice stuff, I don't care much about money. Money for college, while nice, is not a complete necessity for me...but it's also a really nice thing.

Now, the less selfish but still personal reasons. These will actually be explained as I go on.
1)Physical improvement.
Yeah. I wanna be onna them -buff- geeks. I'm well on my way to this already.

2)Mental improvement.
I'm pretty sure I'll learn plenty while I'm there. This is one of the more minor ones, as I'm pretty sure I won't be doing -too- much of it while in boot camp...

3)Discipline improvement.
THIS is a big one. I've pretty much only barely scraped by the entire time I've been in school, and in college, I flunked out during the first semester. People were not happy with this, and neither was I-college was the one thing I had looked forward to my whole life, and then I just made a mess of it. However, once I go to boot camp, I'm pretty sure I'll be changing a lot of habits...

And now, for what I like to call the 'Nerd Hero' reasons.

1)Serving the country-and not just America.
Yeah, I know, I know. But I don't care what Micheal Moore the human manbeast says, nor the media, nor just about anyone else-I believe we're actually doing something worth doing overseas, and we've put away many evil men over the decade. So sue me if I want to be a part of it.

2)Being all I can be
Perhaps I'm looking at the bright side here, but I really do think that the thirteen weeks of hell/bootcamp I go through will really make me change for the better. I sincerely doubt I'll come back a guntoting maniac-or if I do, the only real difference you'll notice is the guntoting.

3)TO SAVE DER WORLD?! =D
...Well, okay, maybe not. But I'd like to at least protect a few families by what I do. Call it that hero complex. Mother always said those video games would be a bad influence on me...

So really, that's all the reasons I can think of off the top of my head. I ship out September 16th, and will be at boot camp for the 13 weeks following that. I'm off to the Marines, folks.

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:11 pm

... *ruffles Sage's hair* Stay alive, nerd-hero.

And don't get too gung-ho to post. Underneath the fatigues, still be our nerdhero, kay?

Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Unread postby Spleen » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:58 pm

"Be All You Can Be" is the Army, isn't it? Isn't the Marines' slogan "The Few. The Proud. The Marines."?

Either way: I'm proud to know someone whose devotion to his country is great enough to serve in the military. Godspeed, my friend.
"Tell you what, Leto, I won't fight with you. Zeus' wives are pretty tough customers. You have my permission to boast openly that you have beaten the daylights out of me."
-Hermes, the Iliad (Stanley Lombardo, translator) Book 21

Archmage
REAL DOCTOR. FROM AMERICA.

Unread postby Archmage » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:47 pm

Spleen wrote:Marines' slogan "The Few. The Proud. The Marines."?

Their other motto is "Semper fi."

Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Unread postby Spleen » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:01 pm

I said "slogan", not "motto".
"Tell you what, Leto, I won't fight with you. Zeus' wives are pretty tough customers. You have my permission to boast openly that you have beaten the daylights out of me."
-Hermes, the Iliad (Stanley Lombardo, translator) Book 21

Dragon Sage007
Property of the USMC

Unread postby Dragon Sage007 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:01 pm

I chose the slogan closest to my reasons to joining, truthfully, instead of the actual Marine one. Now hush about it.

Also, I've been told that there will be a thing on August 18th-something of a going away/enlistment party. There will be food, small children, and outdoors-those of you with a fear of the daystar would be advised to stay away. However, those of you with means to get to the greater Dayton area-specifically, Miamisburg-are more than welcome to come!

EDIT:I will probably need names, phone numbers, and/or addresses from folks that decide to, however-those throwing it want to send fancy invitations.

Kai
Fighting the Iron Law of Oligarchy Since 2006

Unread postby Kai » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:07 am

Glad you've found something that you're willing to put so much time and effort into. Full moral support from Der Kai!

Vampire Jester Jinx

Unread postby Vampire Jester Jinx » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:35 pm

Ganbatte! I'm rooting for you!

Dragon Sage007
Property of the USMC

Unread postby Dragon Sage007 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:50 am

Welp, I leave today. I'll see you folks again in three months time!

I graduate on my birthday, oddly enough. So, yeah. I get ten days leave starting on December 15. 'Till then, try and stay insane without me.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:00 pm

Bye. :[

Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin

Unread postby Molokidan » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:48 pm

Good luck, man. Here's to hoping it has a positive effect on you!
"Well slap a dead fish on me and call me Molokidan!"

Return to Discussion Forum