New signature mod

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

Idran1701
None some call is air am

New signature mod

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sun May 06, 2007 4:38 am

Since there's been a bit of talk about overly-large signatures over the last few weeks, I've installed a signature control mod for the board. Both amount of text and image size are limited now, though it's not retroactive; current sigs that are outside the limits won't be affected until a change of signature is made. Here're the current settings; if there are any objections to any of these, go ahead and bring them up. I'm open to changing them if there's a wish to expand things a bit.

I still, unfortunately, haven't had any luck on a per-board signature limiting mod, but hopefully this'll be a minor compromise on that.

Text
  • Number of characters: 1024
  • Number of lines: 5
  • Max consecutive characters without a space: 100
  • Allowed bbCode: all
  • Text size limits: none
  • Smilies allowed: yes
  • URLs allowed: yes

Images
  • Maximum number of images: no limit
  • Maximum dimensions: 75 x 500
  • Maximum size: 25kb

These seem fairly reasonable to me, but go ahead and post if any of you disagree.

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Sun May 06, 2007 11:05 am

I really hope you mean 500 x 75. 75 x 500 is a very tall, thin image. Either way: Somehow I didn't think my sig was grossly oversized, but it would fail the new standards terribly.

Edit: I also can't seem to find the signature edit option anywhere. o_O
Edit2: Adjusted the image at the source, but the fact remains that suddenly there's no signature editting box in the profile section. :-/

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sun May 06, 2007 5:10 pm

...Hmm. All right, I think I know what might be causing the problem there. And yeah, 75 height, 500 width.

Edit: Fixed it. Made a slight glitch while installing the mod originally.

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Sun May 06, 2007 8:27 pm

There's been talk about overly large signatures on the boards?

You know, I don't want to sound like a bitch here, but, like, aren't we all adults? Can we not ask someone to change their sig if it is too large? And if they refuse and we will not accept that, then aren't we also computer literate? Can we not take out an offending sig per post until the problem is remedied?
"You haven't told me what I'm looking for."
"Anything that might be of interest to Slitscan. Which is to say, anything that might be of interest to Slitscan's audience. Which is best visualized as a vicious, lazy, profoundly ignorant, perpetually hungry organism craving the warm god-flesh of the anointed. Personally I like to imagine something the size of a baby hippo, the color of a week-old boiled potato, that lives by itself, in the dark, in a double-wide on the outskirts of Topeka. It's covered with eyes and it sweats constantly. The sweat runs into those eyes and makes them sting. It has no mouth, Laney, no genitals, and can only express its mute extremes of murderous rage and infantile desire by changing the channels on a universal remote. Or by voting in presidential elections."
--Colin Laney and Kathy Torrance, William Gibson's Idoru

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sun May 06, 2007 8:43 pm

Well, not a lot of talk. A couple of times, maybe. Those times came to mind when I found the mod, so I figured why not. But that's a good point, yeah, and that is how it was solved before. Maybe I jumped the gun with installing this.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Sun May 06, 2007 9:48 pm

If we have a mutual definition for large, it might as well be set as a limit. We don't have a mutual definition, of course, since we browse on different resolutions, browser settings, etc., which affect the size and obnoxiousness of signatures.

I still think the ideal situation would be where each thread displayed each user's signature only in their first post to the thread, but I wasn't able to find a mod to that affect. :[

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Sun May 06, 2007 11:40 pm

But seting a limit will prevent hilarious pranks and april fool's silly sigs and so on. How can you sleep at night knowing you have put an end to this?

Seriously though, I agree with Priam. People understand that overly large sigs are not welcome here, but I would like the freedom to create such sigs to exist, because there should always be exceptions to the rule.

Kai
Fighting the Iron Law of Oligarchy Since 2006

Unread postby Kai » Sun May 06, 2007 11:56 pm

I personally like the idea of having some kind of limit on sigs because some people just... have... really long signatures, and they're distracting.

However, the general concensus seems to be that people want to be able to self-regulate, and that also sounds good. If we don't have a programmed guideline for this, though, I'd feel oodles better if we had some sort of definition for "common courtesy when making huge and/or annoying signatures."

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Mon May 07, 2007 12:03 am

Let me be a little more concrete. *points down*
"You haven't told me what I'm looking for."
"Anything that might be of interest to Slitscan. Which is to say, anything that might be of interest to Slitscan's audience. Which is best visualized as a vicious, lazy, profoundly ignorant, perpetually hungry organism craving the warm god-flesh of the anointed. Personally I like to imagine something the size of a baby hippo, the color of a week-old boiled potato, that lives by itself, in the dark, in a double-wide on the outskirts of Topeka. It's covered with eyes and it sweats constantly. The sweat runs into those eyes and makes them sting. It has no mouth, Laney, no genitals, and can only express its mute extremes of murderous rage and infantile desire by changing the channels on a universal remote. Or by voting in presidential elections."
--Colin Laney and Kathy Torrance, William Gibson's Idoru

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Mon May 07, 2007 1:47 am

Well, since the general consensus looks to be self-regulation, I'll go ahead and remove it next chance I get. My bad here, all; should have asked for the general opinion before installing it. I'll keep that in mind next time.

Edit: The mod should be removed now. :O

DrSteveMcSexy

Unread postby DrSteveMcSexy » Mon May 07, 2007 11:05 am

Well, really the true problem here is that you don't have a way of installing this mod on the rest of the internet.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Mon May 07, 2007 11:16 am

Return to Discussion Forum