Holy fuck I need some help.

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

DrSteveMcSexy

Holy fuck I need some help.

Unread postby DrSteveMcSexy » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

Okay so I finally got a tablet right and it's cool and all but I have no idea how to use it like I know you have to point the pencil thing at the tablet right and it makes the mouse go around and do stuff okay but it totally don't feel natural at all to me and I'm having trouble adjusting you know and I was wondering if I'm doing something wrong you know so I was just thinking that there's some artsy folk around here right so maybe one of you would be able give me some tips or maybe link me to a tutorial or something you know I mean I really want to use this thing but if I don't get some friggin' help I just don't know man you know anyhow thanks for the help okay bye.

Kai
Fighting the Iron Law of Oligarchy Since 2006

Unread postby Kai » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:32 pm

Learn to use normal writing utensils.

Congratulations, you now understand the entire premise of a drawing tablet.

DrSteveMcSexy

Unread postby DrSteveMcSexy » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:35 pm

Well that was pretty useless.

Lets hear from bachelor number two.

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:55 pm

I have heard that it's hard to adjust to not looking directly at what you're drawing with your hands, but in time you learn to watch the screen and it all synchs together? I guess practicin' will help but I don't know much about tablets or art.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:35 am

Is that Rube? Cus the first post is wackystuffs.

[edit] Ahem. Rube.

Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Unread postby Spleen » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:54 am

If it's not, there's something fundamentally wrong with reality.
"Tell you what, Leto, I won't fight with you. Zeus' wives are pretty tough customers. You have my permission to boast openly that you have beaten the daylights out of me."
-Hermes, the Iliad (Stanley Lombardo, translator) Book 21

FlameRaven
Geek of Many Colors

Unread postby FlameRaven » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:34 am

Um, well, that's pretty much it. You just need to adjust to drawing on the screen instead of looking right at the pen. I've had my tablet for around 5 years now, so I can't say I can give advice on that... I'm too used to it to remember.
[url=http://parallelparchment.com]Parallel Parchment[/url]|[url=http://flameraven.deviantart.com]dA[/url]|[url=http://flameybird_art.livejournal.com]Sketch Journal[/url]

Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Unread postby Spleen » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:01 am

I'm inclined to think that if Steve :( really wanted help with something, he'd use proper English sentence structure. I think this is just his way of saying "HI I'M STILL ALIVE :O"

HI.

EDIT: Wait, his original name is filtered out as Steve :(? How come Dia can say it?
"Tell you what, Leto, I won't fight with you. Zeus' wives are pretty tough customers. You have my permission to boast openly that you have beaten the daylights out of me."
-Hermes, the Iliad (Stanley Lombardo, translator) Book 21

DrSteveMcSexy

Unread postby DrSteveMcSexy » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:02 am

Hi. :(

My first post there was just me taking inspiration from one of the more interesting posters on the official WoW forums of my realm. I likes the sillys talks, yesh.

Andynow, my biggest issue when adjusting to using the tablet isn't the whole "get used to seein' what you be drawing on the screen rather then on what you actually be drawin' on" deal. That's easy. Drawing with a mouse for god knows how long has got me into that mindset. My biggest issues are with the fact that the tablet itself is way too smooth. There's no friction there, and that's just plain weird to me when drawing. Is this a "get used to it, sucka" thing or do they actually make tablets with some "tooth" to 'em?

I was also hoping that someone somewhere might know of some place where there are tutorials to tablet usage. Mine is second hand via Dr. Girlfriend, so it don't come with any softwares or manuals or nothin'.

Anyways, it's not a big deal if no one has anything that constructive to say. I figgure I'll get a hang of this shit on my own. In the mean time here is some Franky.

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:23 pm

Use a brillo pad if you want friction.

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:13 pm

It's something you get used to, if it was rough at all your lines would get all squiggly. That fucker's sensetive.

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:26 pm

Texture, eh? This may or may not be complete insanity, but you could maybe, like... lay something over it? Like, a tissue or some onionskin paper or something? That would almost certainly meet with disastrous failure, but it's all I could come up with. Seems most touch-interface devices are built to be even smoother than the ass of the baby Jesus. I've yet to find one that offered even the slightest bit of friction. Doesn't exactly match the experience of using "normal writing utensils," does it?

Also, Gus's idea is frightening.
Anime is kind of like fish in that it is better the less "fishy" it is.

Return to Discussion Forum