Nutritionists

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

Archmage
REAL DOCTOR. FROM AMERICA.

Nutritionists

Unread postby Archmage » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:14 pm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/food/Story/0, ... rss&feed=1

An interesting article. Mostly centered on "Dr." Gillian McKeith, but there's also some very interesting commentary about the "nutrition industry at large."

Zemyla

Unread postby Zemyla » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:20 pm

This is slightly unrelated, but he says in his article that "This is a very poor working-class area, and the male life expectancy is about 70 years."

That, to me, is the real triumph of science. Even poor people can live about three-quarters of a century.

Anyways, this chick? She's just another one of the quacks like that Kevin Trudeau guy. "Regular science wants to keep you sick!"
I think boobs are the lesser of two evils. - Inverse (Pervy)
Dammit, Dan, I'm not dating a damn NPC! - OOC Will (Will Baseton)
Of course! Anything worth doing is worth doing completely wrong! - Travis English
Ultimately, wizards and clerics don't say, "Gee, I want to become a lich because weapons hurt less and I don't have to worry about being backstabbed; that whole 'eternal life' thing is just a fringe benefit."-Darklion
But this one time I killed a walrus with my bare hands, and I suddenly understood spherical coordinates. - KnightsofSquare
Also, when you've worked a 36-hour shift as an intern you too just might pour yourself a catful of coffee and sit down to cuddle with your travel mug. -eirehound

Archmage

Unread postby Archmage » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:33 pm

Zemyla wrote:Anyways, this chick? She's just another one of the quacks like that Kevin Trudeau guy. "Regular science wants to keep you sick!"

Quite right. But I thought someone besides me might find the article about her entertaining. I especially like how her response to anyone questioning her credentials is threatening to sue (and typically not following through on it). I imagine that would make for a great court case.

"Your honor, my client charges that the defense is guilty of libel for stating that my client does not have a real medical license from an accredited institution."
"Does your client have a medical license?"
"No."
"....."

Edit: I also like the broader statements about nutritionists that the article makes. "Eat a balanced diet and get plenty of exercise and rest" doesn't sell, so nutritionists have to field wild theories about chlorophyll, digestive enzymes, antioxidant megadoses and other supplement products to turn a profit.

Squintz Altec
Administrator

Unread postby Squintz Altec » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:38 pm

Wow, what a card.

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:50 pm

Yeah, her advertisements were everywhere in England. This also isn't the first time her scientific authenticity has been questioned, but I cannot find the older article. Something about her having to withdraw a product.

Also: I guess she'll now have to change her url as well! http://www.drgillianmckeith.com/

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:35 pm

Zem has a point. Wonder what the quality of life is, and the values of the same qualities in your average/random poor working class area in the U.S.

As for the article--cripes, I couldn't read it all. I got to the part about clorophyll oxygenating blood, and just kinda started skimming the rest.

So...amazingly...wrong.

Archmage

Unread postby Archmage » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:50 pm

On the subject, I thought this quote really summed everything up nicely:

Max Clifford, her PR representative, said McKeith's degree had not played a part in her career or popularity. He added: "Personally, I wish it had never been mentioned. She never needed it and it's done nothing but cause her embarrassment."

Return to Discussion Forum