What'll we do with Testing?

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

Testing: Keep or remove?

Poll ended at Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:38 pm

Keep
29%
Remove
71%

Total votes : 17

Idran1701
None some call is air am

What'll we do with Testing?

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:38 pm

All right, we mentioned this a while ago, but nothing's come of it yet, so a final poll. This'll be open for 3 days from the time of posting, and when it's done, that'll be the decision.

Testing: Keep or remove?

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:14 pm

I say keep it. I'd rather not muddy up the Inn when I screw up my new sig.

Deeum

Unread postby Deeum » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:45 pm

Except, sigs should be automatically updated when you change? Unless someone fixed it so it doesn't?

I say nix it

Edit: Yep. I just checked again and it does change when you update your sig.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:15 pm

Just eat it.

(I don't care if it's cooold)

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:09 am

Cement shoes!
Anime is kind of like fish in that it is better the less "fishy" it is.

Zemyla

Unread postby Zemyla » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:37 pm

I'm surprised at you, Brian. I remember you used the Testing forum to show off some very cool HTML effects on ezBoard.
I think boobs are the lesser of two evils. - Inverse (Pervy)
Dammit, Dan, I'm not dating a damn NPC! - OOC Will (Will Baseton)
Of course! Anything worth doing is worth doing completely wrong! - Travis English
Ultimately, wizards and clerics don't say, "Gee, I want to become a lich because weapons hurt less and I don't have to worry about being backstabbed; that whole 'eternal life' thing is just a fringe benefit."-Darklion
But this one time I killed a walrus with my bare hands, and I suddenly understood spherical coordinates. - KnightsofSquare
Also, when you've worked a 36-hour shift as an intern you too just might pour yourself a catful of coffee and sit down to cuddle with your travel mug. -eirehound

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:05 pm

Which we couldn't do here anyway, because most HTML is disabled.

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:49 pm

Apathy! It might still be nice to test out postrank stuff, or whatever else is not handlable by way of a post-edit. I dunno, I guess I don't see a reason to be rid of it.

Archmage
REAL DOCTOR. FROM AMERICA.

Unread postby Archmage » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:10 pm

I think the real strike against it is that it's completely redundant. You can't use it to test your sig without messing up with rest of the forum because sig changes are retroactive and universal, and that also goes for the other editable aspects of your stuff (like postrank).

However, I do suppose that while you're in the process of making things work that you wouldn't want to post a thread in spam or anything for the sheer purpose of making sure your new sig was working correctly. On the other hand, if you wanted to know if it was working, you could just look at any of your old posts...

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:21 pm

How in the world are we supposed to edit our own postranks?

Deeum

Unread postby Deeum » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:27 pm

PriamNevhausten wrote:How in the world are we supposed to edit our own postranks?

Go to profiles? Anyone can do it from there now.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:47 pm

DM, you avatar is awesome.

Also, the reason I see to be rid of it is because it's useless. Superfluous forum is superfluous.

Zemyla

Unread postby Zemyla » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:19 am

It's not just for testing avatars and sigs, but for getting people's opinions on them.
Of course! Anything worth doing is worth doing completely wrong! - Travis English
Ultimately, wizards and clerics don't say, "Gee, I want to become a lich because weapons hurt less and I don't have to worry about being backstabbed; that whole 'eternal life' thing is just a fringe benefit."-Darklion
But this one time I killed a walrus with my bare hands, and I suddenly understood spherical coordinates. - KnightsofSquare
Also, when you've worked a 36-hour shift as an intern you too just might pour yourself a catful of coffee and sit down to cuddle with your travel mug. -eirehound

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:24 pm

Which...can't be done through other means? I mean, I've always left my opinion in whatever thread I first see the avatar which is viable (hi DM!).

This isn't about the testing forum's usefulness, so much as what it can do and do so well that the rest of the forum just can't handle.

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:42 pm

I've always seen the testing forum as superfluous, even on the old board.

If you really wanna show off or test your new avamatar, you can post an amusing thread in spamola~

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:24 am

Oh gods, nyoro~n :(

Delete it, sez I. It served its purpose.

Ark
Cho wants to kill with cute

Unread postby Ark » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:27 am

*Grabs onto the Test Forum floor*
Noooo! Noooooo!
Don't take it away from me! I promise to use it more! I'll be good. Please! Nooooooo!
[img]http://www.fantasydragon.net/choark/Signature.jpg[/img]
Some detectives just have The Touch

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:25 pm

Muwahahaha!

Take the Testing forum away-pyo! Let us revel in Choark's misery-pyo! It is more evil that way-pyo!

Zemyla

Unread postby Zemyla » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:20 pm

This is a utilitarian question.

Keep: No one is harmed by keeping it, and some people actually benefit from it. Positive utility.
Remove: No one is really helped by removing it, and some people actually are harmed. Negative utility.

It seems to be clear.

Archmage

Unread postby Archmage » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:36 pm

You're overlooking something.

Keep: The threads and data stored on the testing forum remain part of the forum's database and are included in forum backups, consuming extra disk space, which costs money. Negative utility.

The testing forum is going to the great big pile of 1's and 0's in the sky in about four hours.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:48 pm

To be fair, no it doesn't, Brian. The cost of my plan is entirely independent of any conceivable level of hard drive or bandwidth usage we could get. Right now, I am allowed a total of 224.3 gigs of hard drive space and 2681 gigs of annual bandwidth before they start charging me more.

Archmage

Unread postby Archmage » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:30 pm

I stand corrected!

Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:48 pm

If all posts are changed retroactively now (As far as sigs and such), there's not a terribly huge point in keeping it.
Hey there! Can I give you a hand?

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:27 pm

Deleting it might actually discourage people from testing their new stuff. Like, who wants to create a spam topic for a change that might not actually take, no matter how you try to work the code? Even if it works, you now have a topic for not-a-damn-thing; and if it doesn't work then it's not-a-damn-thing-plus-brokenness. And who wants to make something like that? Not me. Plus, don't forget that postranks and avatars are not the only things that people have tested in the Testing forum--board code can be messed with, too, in order to learn ways to do things.

I'm with Zem. It doesn't hurt anyone, and there are those who find it useful. Why should we be compelled to destroy it?

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:21 am

Personally, I never used the test forum: I just edited my sig and made a random post somewhere and previewed it without posting.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:52 am

There is no board code to test, though. phpBB is different from ezBoard in that it is actually documented. There are no hidden features of board code, and the only available HTML code is the HTML code that we explicitly allow.

And you have a point, but it's the opposite one from what you're intending to make, Priam, in that we don't even need any topics to test something anymore. Anything you might want to test is retroactive to every post, including sigs, so you don't need to make a new post to test anything.

Anyway, the results are in, and it's 30/70 in favor of removing it. I'll page through it to see if there's anything that needs archiving, and then I'll remove it.

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:05 pm

I highly doubt things in the body of posts are retroactive.

But, while we're on the subject of HTML, I guess, it might be cool if the <a> tags actually worked. I guess they technically do work, but the href parameter gets deleted when the post is applied.

So does this mean the Newcomers forum is the place where folks not accustomed to our norms ask about common sig and avatar size conventions? Because, like, the Testing forum has been used, and recently. Several times.

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:15 pm

PriamNevhausten wrote:So does this mean the Newcomers forum is the place where folks not accustomed to our norms ask about common sig and avatar size conventions?

Why not?

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:44 pm

Priam, sigs are retroactive, because sigs aren't in the body of posts. The forum parsing software saves signatures and post test separately, and retrieves each signature as it is needed upon displaying the post, placing the signature text in the post after the post text. This is how I was able to disable showing signatures to people that are logged out. It doesn't grab signature text on posting and insert it into the post body; thus why when you edit a post with your signature in it, your signature isn't displayed in the post editing field.

And HTML a tags work fine for me.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:49 pm

Double-posting so I can disable HTML and still show you what I mean. This is the relevant part of the post display code in the forum's template.

Code: Select all
            <td valign="top" nowrap="nowrap">{postrow.QUOTE_IMG} {postrow.EDIT_IMG} {postrow.DELETE_IMG} {postrow.IP_IMG}</td>
         </tr>
         <tr>
            <td colspan="2"><hr /></td>
         </tr>
         <tr>
            <td colspan="2"><span class="postbody">{postrow.MESSAGE}{postrow.SIGNATURE}   </span><span class="gensmall">{postrow.EDITED_MESSAGE}</span>   </td>
         </tr>
      </table></td>

Thus, when the value stored in postrow.SIGNATURE is altered, it's altered retroactively in every post on the board, as the board grabs the signatures on display. It does this because it requires far less database space than it would to store the signature a given poster has with every single post they make.

Return to Discussion Forum