EzBoard Gold subscription

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

FF Fanatic 80
Driver of the OOC Bus

EzBoard Gold subscription

Unread postby FF Fanatic 80 » Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:13 pm

I'm not sure if anyone else noticed (and given everyone being busy off the board now, not surprising =X), but our Gold Subscription is going to run out in a month. I kicked in a donation for the hell of it, but it doesn't seem to be applying yet. Going to give it another week before I ask someone on the support forums about it.

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Re: EzBoard Gold subscription

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:48 pm

Bah. Now I'm going to have to figure out how to get my PayPal account activated after all these years. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:36 pm

Oh God, I'm not an admin. I don't have to worry about alerting people to this anymore.

Dave you are wonderful. <p>
<div style="text-align:center">dictionary.com | encyclopædia dramatica
"he is the godamn batman! thats why! if he can breath in space you damn bet he can wear a panty on his head!" glu-glu</div></p>

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:03 pm

I told Idran last night and he didn't respond!

Anyways I can shell out some cash. IF I AM ASKED POLITELY.

Kai
Fighting the Iron Law of Oligarchy Since 2006

Unread postby Kai » Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:03 pm

All donations would be welcome. Because, as an admin, I'm kinda sorta responsible for keeping things awesome around here, I'll make a donation. Need to deposit some paychecks, but the forum will certainly get a cut should it become necessary. <p>-------------------------
"It has always been the prerogative of children and half-wits to point out that the emperor has no clothes. But the half-wit remains a half-wit and the emperor remains an emperor." -- Sandman "The Kindly Ones" </p>

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:11 am

We should host a pledge drive.

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:41 pm

You know, this is just musing, but I bet we could get another forum somewhere on a non-ezboard host for less money. Something to think about.

I'm not sure about the specifics of this, but something tells me it might be possible. <p>
<div style="text-align:center">Image

RPGWW Wiki!</div></p>

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:59 pm

Personally, I'd rather not move again unless we had to, just because of all the threads we have archived here. I'm sure that if the board suddenly went inactive, it wouldn't be long before it was removed in a regular wipe. Plus, it would kill what little user trickle we get as is.

Edit: Though to be fair, I should mention that apparantly I would be able to provide a phpBB forum. <p>

"Never let your morals get in the way of doing what is right" - Salvor Hardin
</p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=idran1701>Idran1701</A] at: 10/15/06 18:10

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:47 am

I'm against moving mainly because archiving threads would be a pain.

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:59 am

The current cost for another year of Gold subscription is $151, so if the consensus is that not having to worry about moving threads or archiving stuff is worth that much money, that's fine with me.

I know it's possible to archive ezBoard threads and convert them directly over to a new forum, but I don't know the details on how that works. This is not my area of expertise.

I'm totally willing to donate some money as soon as I get a few account deposits made, but I just want to make sure that we as a community don't want to do something different first. Isn't there some weird ezboard deal called Yuku that is set to fuxx0r us all at some point in the near future? <p>
<div style="text-align:center">Image

RPGWW Wiki!</div></p>

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:32 am

It's not an implicit function of ezBoard that I could find, but I did find this third-party utility for phpBB specifically: sourceforge.net/projects/ezboard-conv

Now, I am perfectly willing to set one up on my own space, but if people would rather a different alternative choice, I can look into similar conversion utilities for other forum types. And honestly, I didn't realize the cost was so high; at that price, I am somewhat more leaning towards a move, personally. Though only if a majority of the threads here (if not the entirety) can be moved successfully. <p>

</p>Edited by: Idran1701 at: 10/16/06 10:37

Kai

Unread postby Kai » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:10 am

The other forum I'm exploring (Unicorn's Visions) just moved their entire forum and all its content to a new phpBB location. One reservation I have is that the order of posts in some threads was a little messed up. Posts were transposed seemingly at random. This is mainly a problem for me in RP threads, so it's something I wanted to bring up.

That said! If it's something people are interested in, there's no reason why I couldn't ask around and see how they did it. <p>-------------------------
"It has always been the prerogative of children and half-wits to point out that the emperor has no clothes. But the half-wit remains a half-wit and the emperor remains an emperor." -- Sandman "The Kindly Ones" </p>

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:52 am

Sure, though from the looks of things any such options would have to rely on third-party utilities regardless of what type of forum was chosen, since as far as I can tell there is no deeper database access possible for even a board's ezOp. <p>

</p>

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:05 pm

Just playing devil's advocate here, but what are the downsides if we don't renew? It basically amounts to banner ads (which I think we can all live with) and pop-ups, which, let's face it, every browser known to man now guards against. <p>Centuries of threats of "I'll turn you all to stone!" and "I'll knock you all down!" have caused Domans to develop an instinct to form small groups. For safety, I assure you. – Keir</p>

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:30 pm

I think it also caps threads at a certain number of posts, and we lose out on some neat things like custom post icons and whatnot.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:34 pm

Also, our threads will not be backed up in the case of another EZFluke.

I kinda like the idea of moving to another forum. Though, that'll have an impact on, say, participation. There'll be people who won't like the new board, won't participate as much, drift away, yadda yadda. As I recall, there was a lull are the initial bustle after the move to ezforum. <p>
"he is the godamn batman! thats why! if he can breath in space you damn bet he can wear a panty on his head!" glu-glu</div></p>Edited by: pd Rydia&nbsp; Image at: 10/27/06 19:36

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:35 pm

I see. <p>Centuries of threats of "I'll turn you all to stone!" and "I'll knock you all down!" have caused Domans to develop an instinct to form small groups. For safety, I assure you. – Keir</p>

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:18 pm

Plus, if we're worried about newmembership, if we changed our name to unlinkage ourself from the now-fairly-defunct RPGW it might help us with that. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

Kai

Unread postby Kai » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:24 pm

To Dia and Priam:

The reason Idran and I decided that moving to another location wasn't on the menu right now is mainly that with ezconvert (the third-party program on the table right now) you have no way of making sure that post order is maintained. Now, I realize not everyone RPs on the forum, or even reads the archived board RPs, but the idea of all that getting irrevokably fucked up is a little bothersome.

This is based on the problems acquaintances have had with ezconvert. If someone can find a program that doesn't have that problem, post it. So far no one's addressed that problem or offered an alternative.

Also, to Priam: I don't know that we need to change the name. I mean, this forum has been around for a while, and I don't think it would be a fruitful effort since most people who have been around would continue to call it RPGWW. <p>-------------------------
<span style="font-size:xx-small;">I've always followed my father's advice: he told me, first to always keep my word and, second, to never insult anybody unintentionally. If I insult you, you can be goddamn sure I intend to. And, third, he told me not to go around looking for trouble. --John Wayne</span></p>

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:07 am

Well, to be fair, I did address that problem back when we were first talking, Kai. I offered to go into the databases and manually readjust post order where necessary. In fact, thinking about it just now, I don't know if I'd even have to do that; depending on how detailed the information ezConvert grabs is, I might just be able to sort it by original post timestamp and we'd be good.

And since it's on my mind now, I wonder if it might not even have been a problem with UV specifically. Maybe there was something about their original forum configuration, or some mistake they made in converting it over, or something. If it wouldn't be mildly disruptive, I'd offer to convert one of the lesser-used subforums here over as a test, just to see how bad it is, but to do that I'd have to reset one of the subforums to the ezBoard classic theme and unsticky/open all threads in the subforum. <p>

</p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=idran1701>Idran1701</A] at: 10/28/06 8:14

Kai

Unread postby Kai » Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:23 pm

Yeah, go ahead and try it with the testing forum or something.

For, you know. Testing purposes. <p>-------------------------
<span style="font-size:xx-small;">I've always followed my father's advice: he told me, first to always keep my word and, second, to never insult anybody unintentionally. If I insult you, you can be goddamn sure I intend to. And, third, he told me not to go around looking for trouble. --John Wayne</span></p>

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:49 pm

Well, I'd figured we could, you know, manually save the RPs and upload them somewhere or somewheres. Since forums are kinda quirky about saving threads permanent-like to begin with. <p>
"he is the godamn batman! thats why! if he can breath in space you damn bet he can wear a panty on his head!" glu-glu</div></p>Edited by: pd Rydia&nbsp; Image at: 10/28/06 14:49

Kai

Unread postby Kai » Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:09 pm

Well, I keep copies on my computer of just about everything I'm in since the massive ezchomp a while back. If someone wanted to go through and re-archive everything, that'd be fine.

Tasks for moving:
*Check to make sure we can restore post order.
*Check to make sure we can archive past RPs.
*Check to make sure we can find a stable server.
*Decide what the hell is going to happen to the community chest, and the donations therein.
*Check to make sure we have manpower to do all of this shit that doesn't equal, "Hey Idran, build us a forum and transfer everything, plzkthnx."

People are free to add tasks, but so far this is what moving is going to entail.

Edit: I can gather together either chat or board RPs from the zeke servers, but fanart and other stuff will probably have to go to someone else.

Also, on the community chest:

You expressly understand and acknowledge that any fees due or paid by you under the CSC program are non-refundable in part or in whole. ezboard currently accepts payment by PayPal, or credit card, and reserves the right to modify its acceptable forms of payment at any time without notice.

I didn't give the most money, but I did give some, and I find a bit vexing that those of us who donated would essentially lose that money for no reason. <p>-------------------------
<span style="font-size:xx-small;">I've always followed my father's advice: he told me, first to always keep my word and, second, to never insult anybody unintentionally. If I insult you, you can be goddamn sure I intend to. And, third, he told me not to go around looking for trouble. --John Wayne</span></p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=kai@rpgww60462>Kai</A]&nbsp; Image at: 10/28/06 16:35

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:49 pm

The Gus speaks.

Right, the problem here is that you have 14 days to make a decision and that if you leave you stand to lose $90, which would be a shame as that's money that a lot of different people have given to show how much this forum means to them.

Luckily there is a half-way line between scrounging for the amount need for 12 months of gold and simply waving bye-bye to our money. EZboard is offering us 6 months of gold for $89. Taking this offer would give us 6 months to decide whether to move or not, and would reduce our losses from $90 to $1.

That sounds like a good option to me, plus while everyone's suggesting moving, nobody seems to have actually given an example of a place to move to.
<p>

"Moreover, when on the following night, much to his dismay, [Caesar] had a dream of raping his own mother, the soothsayers greatly encouraged him by their interpretations of it: namely, that he was destined to conquer the earth" - Suetonius, The Twelve Caesars - Julius Caesar, chapter 7</p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=suicidalsprite>Suicidal] at: 10/28/06 16:49

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:14 pm

I agree with Gus, taking six months of Gold sounds like a good middle ground for now. It'll put us in less of a time crunch, and make any decision everyone ends up making less rushed.

Just to get a better idea of its feasibility, though, I'll still be testing out this transfer software later tonight on the Testing forum, once it looks like most everyone's gone for the day. Yeah, it's just the Testing forum and so I could probably do it now, but waiting until then'll give me a good idea of what sort of time investment this'll end up taking per forum if we do end up moving. <p>

</p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=idran1701>Idran1701</A] at: 10/28/06 17:15

Kai

Unread postby Kai » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:54 pm

Renewed. We're good for a while now. <p>-------------------------

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:21 pm

Cool. <p>
"he is the godamn batman! thats why! if he can breath in space you damn bet he can wear a panty on his head!" glu-glu</div></p>

Return to Discussion Forum