Divination

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

Manga no Manda

Divination

Unread postby Manga no Manda » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:06 pm

I'm curious as to how many people here might practice divination, either with tarot, runes, or, hell, even aeromancy.

I'm primarily a runic folk, thanks largely to Diane, but I'm trying to pick up Tarot. I'd love to know some good spreads for either. There's also the off chance that someone might be familiar with other divination sources (though the 8-ball is a debatable divination source)!

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Re: Divination

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:44 pm

I used to believe, for a couple months, in the whole telepathy thing, that certain impulses could be interpreted to have external meaning. Most of these have turned out to be irrelevant, although my according luck with dice has been a strange anomaly in accuracy.

I also made my own tarot deck once out of Netrunner cards (don't laugh too hard, even tarot practitioners say you should use a deck that has acquired personal meaning and affinity to the reader, and Netrunner fits that bill perfectly for me), and did a couple readings. The problem with that was that I found that while I was doing a 'reading' I was often engaging my bullshit cortex, which is most often involved in other activities along the lines of inventing meanings to dreams or absurd movie occurrences or other highly-random possibly-freudian things. Haven't really gone back to it, accordingly. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

Manga no Manda

re: Divination

Unread postby Manga no Manda » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:32 pm

For me, it's less the fortune telling and more the way that divination helps structure a situation in your mind. Say, you're having a problem deciding whether or not to buy a set of sheets. Throw down a lay and at least you're a foot better off than you were wrestling with you own unseen thought process.

I think that divination is certainly good for that since the cards, no matter what you pull, can apply to anything (or nothing).

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Re: re: Divination

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:42 pm

Hm! This is actually something I had not thought of, and is actually a good use of the tarot.

Strangely, though, I've applied the same principle, though diluted, to my own preferred randomization devices (dice, for those of you who have not been paying attention). When you are having trouble making a decision, flip a coin on it. While the coin is turning in the air, if you get a sinking feeling that "Man, I hope it doesn't land on heads" then you know what choice you really wanted to make in the first place. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

Manga no Manda

re:divination

Unread postby Manga no Manda » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:25 pm

I do the same with Eenie Meenie Miney Mo!!!

Return to Discussion Forum