Oilers, Hockey, and Sports

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

Wolfbelly

Oilers, Hockey, and Sports

Unread postby Wolfbelly » Sun May 28, 2006 2:27 pm

The Edmonton Oilers just recently thwomped Anaheim into submission with a 2-1 victory to put them into the NHL finals for the Stanley Cup. I've been paying close attention to this season, and I have to say it's pretty damn rad. I'm normally not much of a sports watcher, but having watched these last .... 8 (?) games, I gotta say it's an addictive thing.

How many of you watch sports? If so, what kind? If not, why not? <p>Image</p>

Choark

Pfft Sports is only an anagram of Tsorps

Unread postby Choark » Sun May 28, 2006 2:34 pm

I do not watch sports.

Why? Because I don't watch T.V.

Why? Because I'm too tight to pay for a T.V. Licence for 5 channels of crude and even more tight to pay an extra £30 or whatever a month for Sky Digital.

Even if I had T.V. though I'd never watch sports.

Why? Because I don't feel the competativeness of others I guess. I never get as riled up at a game and I never really care if any team wins or loses, even if I so happen to be rooting for a particular team. Sports are normally good to be played, though honestly again I lack the fire or care if I win or lose at something even then, so it still doesn't do much for me. I'm defiantly not into watching something I don't care about. <p><div style="text-align:center"> </div>
<div style="text-align:center"> Image </div>
<div style="text-align:center"> <span style="font-family:century gothic;font-size:x-small;">HEROES DON'T NEED PANTS</span> </div></p>

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Re: Pfft Sports is only an anagram of Tsorps

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Sun May 28, 2006 3:32 pm

I watch hockey. I WAS rooting for the Flames. >.>

I'll also watch football. It's not that I'm averse to watching sports, it's just that I won't usually go out of my way to do so... <p>

<div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Re: Pfft Sports is only an anagram of Tsorps

Unread postby Spleen » Sun May 28, 2006 4:05 pm

I don't like watching other people play games. <p>-_-___-___-___-_-

"The universe is all in the mind that perceives it, and sensation is the first and only reality. If a tree falls in the forest with no creature to hear it, then there is no tree."
-Dungeons and Dragons: Complete Arcane, page 167

Arch mage144: Spleen doesn't bother with penis size contests; instead, he goes straight to penis number.</p>

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Protss

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Sun May 28, 2006 4:32 pm

I don't mind watching sports, although I find them highly boring when compared to any number of other things I might be otherwise doing. What bothers me most, though, are people who watch sports and feel the need to act like they're involved. Shouting at the television, et cetera. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

BrainWalker
✔+

Re: Storps

Unread postby BrainWalker » Mon May 29, 2006 3:12 pm

Sports have never really been a big thing for me. I suppose it probably has something to do with growing up as a "smart kid" and thus having the traditional smart-kid disdain for jocks and the respect they get despite the quality of their academics or character. It might also have something to do with growing up as a "fat kid," as well, and having the traditional fat-kid complete lack of any sort of physical prowess whatsoever. Except soccer and kickball, I was actually halfway decent at those two.

Anyway, my ridiculous childhood aside, being a sports fan is like being a gamer. Some people are into it, and some people aren't, and it's really hard for those who are "into it" to explain themselves to people who just don't get it. I don't know who the teams are, except a couple local teams, and I certainly don't know who any of the individual players are, unless they've been in the news or something. I've never understood people who track players and their stats and spend hours crunching numbers and analyzing game footage and whatever, but at the same time there's probably people out there who will never understand why I would want to play an RPG a second time. Or a first time. At the start of a game, I usually don't know who's who, so I usually don't care who wins, and I often end up doing the "chick thing," which is making up random shit about the teams and players involved and basing my decision on who I think should win on totally arbitrary things, like wether or not the guy that made the last touchdown had a good victory dance.

Having said all that, though, a sporting event can be really entertaining to watch if there's two good teams and the action is really close. The problem with watching a whole game, though, is that things tend to get repetitive pretty quickly. I don't know that I have ever watched any one sporting event all the way through from start to finish, except for the football games I had to attend as part of the marching band in high school. I tend to lose interest and go off to do something else for awhile, after which I may or may not come back to the game. Sports with a faster pace like basketball and soccer tend to hold my interest a lot better than slower-paced sports like baseball, football, and fucking golf. How anyone can stand to watch golf is beyond me. Hell, I might actually agree to watch a game of b-ball or soccer with someone. There also seems to be more variety in these sports, although it might just seem that way because I've seen more of them.

About hockey, though... I haven't watched much hockey, so I can't really say how much I do or don't dig it. I did, however, happen to catch some of the women's hockey during the winter olympics, and I have to say it was surprisingly engaging. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=brainwalker>BrainWalker</A]&nbsp; Image at: 5/29/06 15:12

Return to Discussion Forum