comic book recommendation: Runaways

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

pd Rydia

comic book recommendation: Runaways

Unread postby pd Rydia » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:16 pm

I never envisioned myself getting into a Marvel comic. Not due to prejudice quite as much that superhero/supervillain thingies don't really seem to be my genre of fiction. However, I remember seeing some Runaways cover art when I bought Street Angel (which has ninja, pirates, and algebra! A comic for another thread), and thinking it was quite spiffy, so when I found a bound volume on the shelves of the book store the other day, I went ahead and picked it up to sample.

What can I say? It starts off with MMORPG humor. I laughed, and kept reading. D= And now I wish to pass on the grooviness to you.

Marvel.com has a sampling of the first few pages, which I've screencapped and provided for your ease [00 - 01 - 02 - 03]. You'd do better to get to their site, though, in order to actually be able to read the script--my res is sadly limited. Go to the digital comics section and look for Runaways #1.

The MMORPG jokery is tangential to the story, mostly--that is, it is not a .hack// comic. But it has pretty art, and groovy character conflict and...stuff.

That's why I don't try to write actual summaries or reasons to buy things. Here, have a picture:

I think KoD and AshF may enjoy this, especially. <p>
<div style="text-align:center">dictionary.com | encyclopædia dramatica</div></p>Edited by: pd Rydia&nbsp; Image at: 3/16/06 19:17

Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Re: comic book recommendation: Runaways

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:02 am

I was actually looking into this awhile back.

Because I know the main group of supervillians is about as nonsensical as you can get. Seriously, they're literally at conflict with their own goals. :( <p>
<div style="text-align:center">What's wrong with this ring?!</div></p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=shinigoriv2>Shinigori]&nbsp; Image at: 3/17/06 6:07

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Re: comic book recommendation: Runaways

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:50 pm

Heard about it. Like the concept. Should read it.

... but comic books and my current wage DO NOT MIX. Well. <p>

<div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

viator22

Runaways

Unread postby viator22 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:58 am

I'm going to back Dia. I've got the first three volumnes, and so far the series has just been unanimously well done, writing and art. Some really nice use of obscure marvel U heros too. How often do you see a Cloak and Dagger cameo?

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Re: Runaways

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:15 am

Old Spider-Man games. <p>

<div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

darkknight61189
Rice President

Re: Runaways

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:37 pm

Looks like great. Pretty funny. <p>

<div style="text-align:center">Image</div>