Okay, so I have an issue...

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

Groxley Grunk

Okay, so I have an issue...

Unread postby Groxley Grunk » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:08 pm

And I'd like to disscuss it. Thoughtfully.

I'd like to attempt to spend my time on doing something more creative or something but I've been finding myself having issues in doing so. Mostly, I'm bothered by the fact that any project I've started in the past 10 or so years that I'd really like to do ends up getting put on the back burner for an ungodly amount of time until I can't bear to think about it anymore. So, before when I was willing to at least start projects and let them die, now I can't even bear to get that far.

...wow, that's all sorts of depressing to think about.

Any McHow, I'm not here to talk about this phantom project or any other failed... uh... thingie that I've previously worked on. No, what I'm here to talk about is.... MODIVATION. Which is to say, how the fuckity fuck does anyone manage to keep thier mind focused on one goal for enough time to actually accompish any sort of creative endevors around here? I'm sick and tired about being sick and tired about this partciular issue, and I'd like to at least hear some kind of opinion on it for a while. Even if it's "You're a lazy fuck. Get over it."

Now, don't misunderstand what I'm saying here. I don't give a shit about your petty little issues even if they're exactly the same as what I'm talkin' about here. A whole thread about people bitching about not being modivated isn't gonna help anyone here, least of all help me. And if you're shocked by my lack of conceren for anyone other then myself, allow me to say that you'll get used to it in time.

What I *am* saying here is that I'd like to see some thoughts from people who do have goals and dreams and other things who have made sigifigant progress towards them. What have you been working on? Why haven't you let it drop yet? What do you do when you should just let it go? Shit like that there.

Hopefully, we'll get a good discussion going here and I'll be able to figure out what the hell my modivational issues are all about. Then after finding the easy solution to all my problems, ya'll will get to be the first to see the fruits of my creative labor. However, I wouldn't be at all surpised if I just lose intrest in finding out what my problems are and revert back to my lazy, video game playin', masturbatin' self in a few days/hours.

Groxley Grunk

Re: Okay, so I have an issue...

Unread postby Groxley Grunk » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:10 pm

I should also add that dispite my offically going all emo on ya'lls asses, my custom title makes me smile.

Archmage144

Account theft. This is the great and powerful Kai.

Unread postby Archmage144 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:54 pm

I often have a hard time doing things I don't enjoy as a result of some childish "I don' wanna..." response. What usually forces me to do something is that usually, if I don't get something done, no one will.

It's hard to be motivated when things are being taken care of for you, you know? I never had a job until I got to college, but once it became clear my parents were no longer of much use to me, it occurred to me that maybe a new approach was in order. I don't know about your situation, but that's been my experience. It seems like a good rule whether it applies to you or not.

Desperation is a good motivator, but when you have the things you want or at least have some hope that you can still get them without effort, the motivation usually doesn't come.

<p>
<div style="text-align:center">Image</div>

</p>

Groxley Grunk

This is no longer Kai

Unread postby Groxley Grunk » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:58 pm

Well, my issue isn't one of Need. If I need something, that's no issue. It's how I work a steady 40 hours a week.

My issue is that I want to create something. Or learn something new. Or improve myself somehow. Or something like that. I have the desire to do these things, but not the modivation. But I don't really need to do it to survive, you know?

Archmage144

Except this totally is Kai.

Unread postby Archmage144 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:40 pm

Well, I don't know what to tell you. I generally want to do things I'll enjoy. I have little difficulty forcing myself to do those things. Usually that's enough. <p>

</p>

Groxley Grunk

I AM NOT KAI, DAMN IT.

Unread postby Groxley Grunk » Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:57 pm

See, that's the thing. Soon as something becomes constructive my brain is all like: "Shit dude, this is like, work and stuff. Zzzzzzzz."

It's totally annoying.

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=groxleygrunk>Groxley] at: 12/15/05 23:58

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

DAMMIT QUIT STEALING MY NAME.

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:37 am

See, what I have found that I personally need to do in order to get something finished that isn't a required thing--I have to never put it down, or else it never gets picked back up. I did this once with a home assignment recently--breaks for restroom and food notwithstanding, I sat and did this thing for fucking fourteen hours or more. But I got that shit done.

Don't put something down until you are done. And if you have to put it down for sleep or whatever, leave something undone that you know will bug the shit out of you until it *gets* done. If you have to trick yourself like this to get it done, then do it. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=priamnevhausten>PriamNevhausten</A]&nbsp; Image at: 12/16/05 8:55

Archmage144

I FUCKING BLOODY WELL AM

Unread postby Archmage144 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:48 am

Priam is wise. I have to do my artwork in one sitting or it never gets done. Heed the wisdom of Der Priam. <p>

</p>

Nick Shogun

Homage to the Greatest Space Venturer in... um... Space!

Unread postby Nick Shogun » Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:20 am

Motivation is a tough subject in this age of diversions and ADD.

I've been drawing comics for decade(s) now, and I find the best motivation is to surprise yourself. I write comic series with no idea what I'm going to write next.

Be motivated by the unknown. The mystery usually pulls you back. That's why it's so hard to re-read a thriller novel, or watch a movie like Memento once you know the ending.

Make something without any plan, and fix it later if it doesn't work out. That's what does it for me. <p><div style="text-align:center">
www.livejournal.com/users/jankenpo/
Jan-Ken-Po, an Online Webcomic. Updated M-W-F!
</div></p>

Wolfbelly

Unread postby Wolfbelly » Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:53 pm

Oh, sweet, I get to bust out a bunch of the crazy shit I learn at my job.

If I read the thread correctly (I wasn't motivated to pay full attention) then you have an issue with finishing projects that you start. You get an idea, start working towards a goal, and then think "Woah, this feels like work" and stop. If I'm wrong, correct me later. But that's what I'll use for now.

First, I'd like to say that you can't draw a line between motivation and not following through with something you put your mind to. That's because you had something driving you towards starting something, and then once you started you had something driving you towards stopping it. That driving power was essentially the same in both instances, except that it just ran against your intentions. I say it's the same because that driving power is emotion.

Y'see, this is something I've been thinking about for a while. Emotions are fuel for us doing things. If you feel absolutely nothing towards cleaning yourself and making yourself look presentable, then you will not pay attention to your appearance. If you feel anxiety over how others think of you, then you will have motivation to look good. And if you feel anger towards your peers, then you will have motivation to make yourself look bad or not fit in. The stronger the emotion, the stronger the drive to get something done. And, likewise, the harder you will work.

So in your case, it's obvious that you have an emotion driving you to create some creative projects or whatever. That's great! But once you start it, you suddenly go against your intent and sabatoge your efforts. From the way you described it, it sounds as though you have some emotions that are actually motivating you to not complete things once you start them. Chances are that you don't even fully realize what these are, or where these emotions come into play. But if you just analyze your habits, look at your actions, you'll be able to see the actions that took you out, and then you can begin wondering as to what the emotions that motivated those actions were.

So, my advice to you is to not try to see what others do to keep themselves in the game. But rather see what you do to take yourself out of the game. Trying to apply other people's tricks and trades to staying motivated will just get you to tread water. You won't be motivated to finish what you're doing, you'll be motivated to try out what works for them. If that motivation to try out something new overpowers your motivation to not follow through, then you will succeed in attaining a goal. Maybe you'll change, maybe not. I would assume that any changes you undergo in applying other people's methods will be purely superficial, as your underlying cause of not following through will remain exactly where it is and it will not be affected. <p>Image</p>

Groxley Grunk

Unread postby Groxley Grunk » Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:57 pm

Wow Luj, that was actually pretty good. Really gives me a different angle to look at all of this from. I might have to take back a few of the bad things I've said about you.

Nothing major, mind. Just something about your mother maybe.

Anykapow... thinking about it briefly, I may have some misgivings about failure or somesuch. As in, I'm afriad the things I do will come out shitty, so I just give up. After all, you don't try, you don't fail! :D! More research into such things may be in order.

Furthermore, I'm seriously thinking about some kind of councilling or headshrinking or the like. I don't know if this is the sort of thing they'll care about however. Hell, I don't even know if my health insurance will cover it. Sucks being a working stiff.

Wolfbelly

Unread postby Wolfbelly » Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:23 am

Yeah, a therapist may be able to help you with that. I'd suggest checking in with more holistic approaches before going for therapy though. I may be ignorant as to the workings of mainstream therapy nowadays, but I'd imagine their cure for what ails ya would be "Pills! Pills! And more Pills!!!" See what you can find in the realm of guided self-discovery and investigation. More than likely your issue is caused by some issue that you took to heart when you really shouldn't have back in your life. All you'd need (I assume) would be for someone to help you find it.

Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Unread postby Spleen » Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:13 pm

See a psychologist, not a psychiatrist. A psychologist isn't authorized to prescribe medication (because they don't have medical degrees). Thus, a psychologist will only suggest medication as a last resort, because then you'd have to change doctors. <p>-_-___-___-___-_-

"The universe is all in the mind that perceives it, and sensation is the first and only reality. If a tree falls in the forest with no creature to hear it, then there is no tree."
-Dungeons and Dragons: Complete Arcane, page 167

"I don't know who's a bigger fool: Him for going, you for following, or me for not leaving you both."
-Demona, Gargoyles (Episode 11: Long Way to Morning)</p>

Groxley Grunk

Unread postby Groxley Grunk » Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:39 pm

Don't worry. I know enough about the way the medical feild works to know that the moment someone says "Let's throw pills at it" is the moment I find a new doctor.

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:50 am

Hear, hear! <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

Return to Discussion Forum