The Excellent fellows at Penny Arcade

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

The Excellent fellows at Penny Arcade

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:59 am

I was waiting till it was it's own isolated news post.

Impressions on the whole situation, folks.

BTW: Mine is, WOW I respect those guys. <p>

<div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

Archmage144

Re: The Excellent fellows at Penny Arcade

Unread postby Archmage144 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:30 pm

I've been following the situation for the past few days. The whole thing leaves me in the position that I think most gamers (and rational, thinking people, in many cases) would be: Disgusted with Mr. Thompson and pleased/amused with the PA boys for their work. Naturally, there have been so many crusades against video entertainment in the past decade that at this point it's not even original to blame video games for the ills of society. These people need a new racket. Supposedly "morally sensitive" people have been complaining about the various aspects of the "wholesomeness" of the media for years. Plays and other theatrical productions with "shocking" content have been trashed by reviewers for centuries or banned. Through the middle part of the last century, before movies were rated on the G:PG:PG-13:R:NC-17 scale, there was a nationwide prohibition on anything deemed "indecent" in movies, including "bad guys" that weren't "justly punished for their immorality" by the end of the movie. In the 80's activists complained about Death Race, a game that now looks about as violent as Twister.

There will always be people who think they can make a name for themselves by pointing out so-called indecency and "alerting" the general populace to the horrible things that they are allowing to fester under their noses. This story is techncially new, but it's still old news. No matter how many radical conservatives decide to make a stand against various aspects of pop media, my response is always going to be the same.

"If you don't like it, don't watch it." <p>
<div style="text-align:center">Image</div>

</p>

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:21 pm

That is a sexy, sexy piece of paper.

Seriously.

[edit] I thought I might find something relevant at 4chan...
http://www.gamesarefun.com/news.php?newsid=5687
News - FBA Investigating Jack Thompson, Miami Lawyer Calls for Peaceful Settlement
Posted by Ashton Liu at 09:37:29 AM EST on 10.20.2005.

Multiple sources have recently indicated that the Florida Bar have apparently begun to investigate Jack Thompson on his methods of madness. Joystiq and ars technica have reported that the Florida Bar has recieved a torrent of emails, letters, and faxes pressing them to take action against the Miami lawyer. The former site has quoted a Wikipedia entry on Jack Thompson as saying the FBA "received an overwhelming amount of complaints in the last several days about the issue, and is calling an emergency meeting to deal with the issue."

While still acting as an expert on the subject, Jack Thompson has called VSDA and IEMA for a meeting to settle differences instead of continuing pushing for government regulation of the industry, an action which many believe to be a move of desperation. Jack Thompson said that he believed that were this convenient opportunity to slip by, there may be no turning back. He was quoted as saying, "Trust me, I know what I know." However, Thompson has said that he believes that both the game industry and the pro-family groups need not clash and can come to an agreement. "We can do it together," he says.

However, his sharp blade of a tongue has yet to be sheathed, as he uses this opportunity to jab at Doug Lowenstein some more, describing the ESA president in an open letter to the ESA as a "self immolating clown" and that "Doug has done for your industry what leprosy does for dating." Regardless, this is quite an interesting and unexpected turn of events. Is this a move of desperation? Trying to stall for time to reload his weapons, as it were? Or has Jack finally decided that the best way to settle things is peacefully?

You be the judge.
In the comments attached to this article, there's a post by 'imran' (10.20.2005 at 11:35:41 AM) that reads "It's worth it to mention that the Penny-Arcade forums are the ones that spearheaded the campaign to contact the Florida Bar Association."

[edit^2] And, here's (one of) the games...it's a text-based game in SWF format, made by Old Grandma Hardcore
oghc.blogspot.com/2005/10/we-made-jack-thompsons-game-await.html
There's others around and about... <p>
<div style="text-align:center">dictionary.com | encyclopædia dramatica</div></p>Edited by: pd Rydia&nbsp; Image at: 10/21/05 11:24

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:54 pm

I was wondering when we'd start talking about this. I've been following this whole PA/JT thing for a couple days and chuckling to myself all the while. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. That's what I call wholesome entertainment. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

Animala
HATED BY SKELETONS

Unread postby Animala » Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:43 pm

"[edit] I thought I might find something relevant at 4chan..."

Well, that statement broke my brain. <p>
to make the pain go away
i cut the universe
with ribbons
because that makes perfect sense.</p>

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:40 pm

... I really don't like PA comics. I don't think they're funny, downright fucking boring and/or stupid at times.

But god I love them so right now. All my base are belong to them, and that check. <p>

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:58 am

It bears mentioning that the comics are slightly less than half of PA. It often merits reading the posts of Gabe and Tycho as a sort of infrequent news. Plus, Tycho's writing style is *awesome.* <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:34 pm

"LESBIAN STUDIES INSTITUTE is a nonprofit corporation founded December 12, 1995.

"OUR MISSION STATEMENT: To track, synthesize and expose the secret, social and political corruption of America's powerful, government financed Lesbian Mafia."
http://lesbianstudies.com/oldsite/reno.htm
"It is vital for the average unsuspecting citizen to understand why I have chosen to feature Mz Reno on the Internet; the public has a right to know. It is also important to understand two underlying factors which contributes to Mz Reno's aberrant behavior.

* LESBIANISM--Mz Reno is a closet lesbian (not very closeted anymore).

* Mental disorder--It's a clinical proven fact that lesbianism is a mental disorder with profound antisocial behaviors, paranoia, violent aggressive outbursts and forever seeking but never finding gratification and fulfillment.

[...] before I close I want to stress two critical denominators that are responsible for America's social ills.

1. Lesbianism--

2. And the psychotic driven engine of hate towards all heterosexuals especially men. This is the engine that makes Mz Reno more dangerous than Adolph Hitler and Joseph Stalin combined."
Something linked from the penny arcade JT megathread. More Thompson drama--but this time, old news.

So, when did it change from Lesbians destroying America, to video games?

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. <p>
<div style="text-align:center">dictionary.com | encyclopædia dramatica</div></p>

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:47 pm

... Wow. I can't even begin to extol on the stupidity of what has just been displayed to me. It is as though my brain were trying to analyze a being that existed in some fourth dimension of space. What in the blue fuck. o_o <p>

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:16 pm

Proof that Jack is doing better than he was in the past. <p>
<div style="text-align:center">dictionary.com | encyclopædia dramatica</div></p>

Return to Discussion Forum