Dennis Shepard

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

Lauritz Melchior

Dennis Shepard

Unread postby Lauritz Melchior » Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:13 pm

My senior year of highschool I played Dennis Shepard in The Laramie Project. It was quite the experience for me, not only because I was able to play a dramatic role (in a sense) but also because it made me much more acutely aware of homophobia in people around me. My roommate is a very liberal minded person, but some of his thoughts really bother me. But that's beside the point. Earlier this year, I was trying to remember the Dennis Shepard monologue, and came across his entire speech to the court at Aaron McKinney's trial. This is admittedly a long read, but I feel that it is worth it. If anything, it makes you think. Personally, it made me cry, but that might well be because I'm a sensitive person =p].

Anyhow, here it is:

Dennis Shepard's speech to the court

Dennis Shepard is the father of Matthew Shepard, a gay University of Wyoming student who was beaten to death in 1998. His killers, Aaron James McKinney and Russel Arthur Henderson are serving life-sentences in jail.

I know that it looks like dry court testimony at first glance, however, it is anything but dry.

Edited by: Lauritz Melchior at: 4/8/05 18:53

JasonAB17

Re: Dennis Shepard

Unread postby JasonAB17 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:11 pm

I'm gay and I still don't care enough to read it all.

Sorry, but it's true. :{ <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:22 am

Emotional pandering, didn't read. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

Ganonfro

Unread postby Ganonfro » Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:10 pm

Bes, that's your excuse for everything...

But I also didn't read it, because if people can kill someone for being gay, and be put in jail with it, why can't they kill Michael Jackson? *Semi-serious*

Lauritz Melchior

Unread postby Lauritz Melchior » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:20 am

Oh well. I kind of figured that many people wouldn't read it. After all, it's extremely long. It's out here if anybody wants to read it though.

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=lauritzmelchior>Lauritz] at: 4/11/05 7:21

Return to Discussion Forum