On the issue of timeattack videos.

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

Divinegon2130

On the issue of timeattack videos.

Unread postby Divinegon2130 » Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:01 pm

Some of you have doubtless watched videos of games where the author performs crazy tricks and the like, and/or completes a game unusually fast. The majority of the time, these 'timeattacks' aren't really for demonstrating skill in a game - they are there for entertainment, at least according to a site I know of that specializes in timeattack runs.

I admit we have had posts about timeattacks before, and a few of you may be aware of this, but I am taking the time to note that I plan on submitting a timeattack run in the near future to one of these sites (I know which one already, so please refrain from suggesting sites to submit to). What I need from people are suggestions for games for the timeattack run.

There are a couple of criteria I would like to bring up for game selection:
-The game should not be a puzzle game, unless it has a mode with a finite set of levels, or an RPG, unless it can be completed within the time limit noted in the next point. I also do not want most sports or fighting games, although I have the last say in what I will accept as ideas.
-The game in question must be completable within 70 minutes by a normal person with some skill. If a game has multiple difficulty levels, this time limit shall apply to the most difficult skill level.
-The game must have some entertainment value when played normally - from what I have seen, lackluster games make for lackluster timeattacks.
-The game should not be slow-paced.
-The game must be a Genesis, Super NES, or NES game to be made into a timeattack. (Forgot this rule initially.)

I also have a couple of recommendations for game selection in this regard:
-If a game has glitches that allow areas to be skipped, point that fact out.
-If you know a game has a timeattack out already for sure, DO NOT suggest that game, unless more than two minutes can be shaved off the time in that run.
-If there is a luck factor in the game, let me know - some of these timeattacks manipulate luck.
-I seriously recommend games with either US or European versions, rather than Japanese-only games - although I may use a Japanese version of a game.

With those things in mind, I open the thread to game suggestions and general timeattack talk. <p>

<span style="font-size:medium;"> Quotes of the Moment: </span> <span style="font-size:xx-small;">

=="Yeah, well STUDY THIS!!" - Sonya Blade, "Mortal Kombat"
=="Buckle your seat belt Dorothy, 'cause Kansas is goin' bye bye." - Cypher, "The Matrix"

View my online journal here.
Also, if you have a question about my characters, look here.
And I've been having image trouble, so those are out for a while. </span></p>Edited by: Divinegon2130 at: 9/9/04 6:17 pm

FlamingDeth

Re: On the issue of timeattack videos.

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:09 pm

I suggest Megaman 6 (for the NES, obviously), as it's entertaining but not anywhere near the most popular game in the series, so I doubt there's a timeattack video out for it yet.

Alternatively, the comedy "Tetris" option! <p>
<hr width="70%"><center>This month's "Transformer of the Month" is Pipes! He turns into a truck, and his primary function is not taking out the trash.</center></p>

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:15 pm

Starfox, Duke 3D, or Doom. <p>--------------------
Image I HAVE FURY!</p>

Divinegon2130

Unread postby Divinegon2130 » Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:20 pm

FD: A good thought, but there are already timeattacks for all the NES Mega Man games out there - and the first three games of the Mega Man X series (the ones that were on Super NES).

KoD: Starfox and Doom are considered (since they are both Super NES games), but Duke Nukem 3D cannot be done as a timeattack, for it was a strictly-PC game. <p>

<span style="font-size:medium;"> Quotes of the Moment: </span> <span style="font-size:xx-small;"><br /><br />=="Yeah, well STUDY THIS!!" - Sonya Blade, "Mortal Kombat"
=="Buckle your seat belt Dorothy, 'cause Kansas is goin' bye bye." - Cypher, "The Matrix"<br />
View my online journal here.<br />Also, if you have a question about my characters, look here.<br /> And I've been having image trouble, so those are out for a while. </span></p>

SuperRube

RE: Whatever was just said.

Unread postby SuperRube » Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:51 pm

"Do You Like Horny Bunnies? 2"

Divinegon2130

Re: Whatever was just said.

Unread postby Divinegon2130 » Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:11 pm

That sounds like something that I don't think the site I'm posting to would accept, Rube.

Besides, I'm sure that's not even a real game. <p>

<span style="font-size:medium;"> Quotes of the Moment: </span> <span style="font-size:xx-small;"><br /><br />=="Yeah, well STUDY THIS!!" - Sonya Blade, "Mortal Kombat"
=="Buckle your seat belt Dorothy, 'cause Kansas is goin' bye bye." - Cypher, "The Matrix"<br />
View my online journal here.<br />Also, if you have a question about my characters, look here.<br /> And I've been having image trouble, so those are out for a while. </span></p>

Deeum

Unread postby Deeum » Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:12 pm

Actually. It IS a real game.
Japanese hentai game infact <p><div style="text-align:center">
</div></p>

Divinegon2130

Unread postby Divinegon2130 » Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:17 pm

.....I'll be damned.

Although the site I'm sending the timeattack to would probably never take a hentai game. And honestly, I'm not even going to try such a thing. <p>

SuperRube

Unread postby SuperRube » Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:29 pm

Still, it never hurts to try.

I mean, the worst they could say is: "Jesus fucking christ, what in the name of Satan's firey dickhole is wrong with you?"

Uncle Pervy

Re: Re: Whatever was just said.

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:52 pm

Goddamnit, it is like some kind of beefy lava shower

Also: Castevania 3, or Eight Eyes

Because Eight Eyes is fawking hard. <p>
-------------------------------------
NebbieQ: After all, nothing says romance like fighting the forces of Cobra and Druggies with a Rocket Launcher of 80s Justice.</p>

The Great Nevareh

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:21 am

8 Eyes IS hard. Especially on its hardest level.

I'd suggest Ninja Gaiden, the original, if there weren't a 100% chance that an infinite number of people have already submitted Time Attacks for it. And an even larger number of people probably have submitted for Castlevania games.

I'm somewhat partial to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles games. TMNT: Turtles in Time (for SNES) is okay, but the NES games are pure fun to play. So, that's what I'd recommend- a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game that isn't the first one on the NES, since that's more like Startropics than an action game.

Actually, would Startropics count? Or is it too long? <p>"There is great disorder under Heaven, and the situation is excellent."
-Mao Tse-Tung</p>

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:29 am

That settles it! A Boy And His Blob. <p>
<hr width="70%"><center>This month's "Transformer of the Month" is Pipes! He turns into a truck, and his primary function is not taking out the trash.</center></p>

Divinegon2130

Unread postby Divinegon2130 » Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:41 am

Pervy: All of the Castlevania games on NES, SNES, and Genesis have been done already, but Eight Eyes is now on the 'considered' list.

Nev: The first and third Ninja Gaiden games do not have already-made timeattacks, according to the site I'm submitting to, although the second one does. As for TMNT, the first game hasn't been done (I believe the site said that was a suggested one), the second game has been done, the third hasn't been done yet, and the SNES one, Turtles in Time, as well as the Genesis one, Hyperstone Heist, have been done.

I'll investigate Startropics a little more later.

FD: "A Boy and his Blob" has been done already. <p>

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:09 am

Ahhh. Why not try one of the Sonic games? It seems someone's covered S3&K, but that's with Sonic. You can always try with Tails or Knuckles, though I believe Knux would make for a faster game (Tails' flight isn't the fastest).

You could also give Sonic 1 or 2 a shot. I'm fairly sure you can hit a faster speed in Sonic 2 due to the presence of the spindash, so it's worth a shot.

I'd also like to recommend either Ghouls & Ghosts (Genesis) or Super Ghouls & Ghosts (SNES) if only because they haven't been covered yet. <p>

Takorou: Look here. It's a word used to refer to everyone: old, young, man, and woman. "Rou-nyaku-nan-nyo". But you would say "rou-nyaku-nan-nyo-nyo". Here's another one. In Italy, there's a region called Bologna. You would say, "Bologna-nyo". In Buddhism, there's a word called "nyorai", but you'd say "nyorai-nyo". Could you stop saying, "nyo"?
Dejiko: No-nyo. I don't plan to stop-nyo. Go somewhere else-nyo.</p>

SuperRube

Unread postby SuperRube » Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:10 pm

Knux would make for a shorter game only because he has fewer levels to fight through.

And I'm sure people have attempted the various G&G games, but where driven mad before they could complete a decent time. <p>

I have a deviantart gallery. I no longer have any shame. :(</p>

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:16 pm

That's true about Knux, which means some lazyass should go about posting one under fifteen minutes or so. Ten minutes if it's Sonic & Knuckles alone (with the fifteen-seconds or less Hidden Palace Zone).

The G&G games are doable as long as you have drugs. <p>

Takorou: Look here. It's a word used to refer to everyone: old, young, man, and woman. "Rou-nyaku-nan-nyo". But you would say "rou-nyaku-nan-nyo-nyo". Here's another one. In Italy, there's a region called Bologna. You would say, "Bologna-nyo". In Buddhism, there's a word called "nyorai", but you'd say "nyorai-nyo". Could you stop saying, "nyo"?

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:52 pm

Battletoads. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

Lord Hatsuma

Unread postby Lord Hatsuma » Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:40 am

The Lost Vikings.

~Hatsuma!

Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:04 am

Starcraft. <p>
<div style="text-align:center">Image</div>
<div style="text-align:center">Why Barius has no family reunions.</div></p>

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Sat Sep 11, 2004 7:36 am

Shini is stupid and needs to read the rules again.

Also: Little Nemo, the Dream Master =D <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

Will Rennar

Unread postby Will Rennar » Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:20 pm

Stargate for SNES. Anyone who's played it would probably WANT to finish it ridiculously quick in order to be done with the "Hup!" sound effect that rivals Ocarina of Time's "Hey! LISTEN!" in annoying repetitiveness. <p>Will Rennar / Asura Calibre

The Rosetta Stone -- The Sketchpad -- Asura's Harem</p>

SuperRube

Unread postby SuperRube » Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:40 pm

I second the vote for Battletoads, and would also like to nominate Dynamite Headdy.

Becuase Dynamite Headdy was frikkin' awesome. <p>

Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sat Sep 11, 2004 6:22 pm

Sim City. <p>
<div style="text-align:center">Why Barius has no family reunions.</div></p>

Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Unread postby Spleen » Sat Sep 11, 2004 6:41 pm

Shini loses.

After some deliberation, my suggestion is any Road-Runner game, because they're face-paced and I doubt if they've been done before. I could be wrong, though. <p>-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

"If a tree falls in the middle of a forest and no one's around to hear it, it was obviously the work of ninja."
-Darkknight

"We know there's no soy milk, because there's no soy titties."
-Lewis Black</p>

Divinegon2130

Unread postby Divinegon2130 » Sat Sep 11, 2004 7:03 pm

Okay.

After looking through these, here are the ones I have on my "considered" list thus far:

=Doom (unlikely)
=Eight Eyes (most probable)
=Ninja Gaiden 1 and 3 (maybe)
=TMNT 1 and 3 (maybe, though I'd prefer the third one)
=Startropics (unlikely)
=Sonic the Hedgehog 1 and 2 (rather not do 3, and these two are only 'maybe's as it is)
=Lost Vikings (maybe)
=Stargate (quite possible; if I did a second one, which I may, this would be the most probable for that)
=Little Nemo (maybe)
=Dynamite Headdy (maybe)
=Road Runner: Death Valley Rally (maybe; I'd prefer this one over the NES Road Runner game)
=Rocket Knight Adventures (or what I think is a similar SNES game, Sparkster; quite likely)
=Kabuki: Quantum Fighter (maybe)
=Vectorman 1 and 2 (both maybes, but I'd probably do the first one)
=Out of This World (unlikely due to graphic quality, but this game is somewhat oddly appealing)

As for ones that are not up there and have not been already explained, I have comments.

Battletoads: The NES Battletoads has been done, but Battlemaniacs (the SNES Battletoads game) and the "Battletoads and Double Dragon" games haven't been tried. I can consider those if that is desired.

Starfox: After consideration, I have trashed the thought of doing this one.

Starcraft: Simply can't do it - it's not on any of the systems mentioned, and those three are the ONLY ones acceptable for these timeattacks.

Sim City (SNES version): If you can explain just what the timeattack would be of, I'll think about it, but let me state that either way, it is VERY unlikely this game will get on the 'considered' list.

NiGHTS: Into Dreams: When I looked this up, it said the game was on Sega Saturn. If you can find me a Sega Saturn emulator that allows recording and RE-recording (the latter is very important to making timeattacks), I'll consider it, but for now, no.

As for anyone that wishes to put more games up for consideration, I am going to stop taking ideas on the 17th of September (next Friday) and start narrowing the field then. <p>

<span style="font-size:medium;"> Quotes of the Moment: </span> <span style="font-size:xx-small;">

=="Yeah, well STUDY THIS!!" - Sonya Blade, "Mortal Kombat"
=="Buckle your seat belt Dorothy, 'cause Kansas is goin' bye bye." - Cypher, "The Matrix"

View my online journal here.
Also, if you have a question about my characters, look here.
And I've been having image trouble, so those are out for a while. </span></p>Edited by: Divinegon2130 at: 9/12/04 10:45 pm

EKDS5k

Unread postby EKDS5k » Sat Sep 11, 2004 7:13 pm

Nethack.

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:22 pm

Sim City was on SNES. Spleen loses! Just wanted to note this.

ALSO: Vectorman on Genesis. Vectorman 2 also, maybe, although it's generally easier. <p>

Dejiko: No-nyo. I don't plan to stop-nyo. Go somewhere else-nyo.</p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=crawlingreshiki>Crawling] at: 9/11/04 9:23 pm

SuperRube

Unread postby SuperRube » Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:05 pm

It's also ass on a stick.

Rocket Night Adventures was awesome. You could try that.

On very hard. In which if you get touched you die. And have to start from scrach. <p>

Banjooie

Unread postby Banjooie » Sun Sep 12, 2004 1:30 am

Kabuki: Quantum Fighter. <p><Chat> <Matto says, "What's up?"
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Angst."
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Drama."
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Betrayal."
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Plushies."</p>

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Sun Sep 12, 2004 6:08 am

NiGHTS: Into Dreams. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:03 am

Out of This World. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

SuperRube

Unread postby SuperRube » Sun Sep 12, 2004 2:25 pm

Oh! Oh! Metal Storm.

...wait a minute, I could do a time attack for that. <p>

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:35 pm

Starfox is not a good "time attack" game because its autoscrolling nature means that you simply can't beat the game much faster than someone else. The only issue is that of how fast you kill the bosses, more or less.

Starcraft is a very silly idea because it is. Trust me on this.

Simcity has no ultimate win condition. Besides, can you imagine how boring watching someone play Simcity as fast as possible could be? In general, Sims/RTS are not good time attack games. The best type are definitely oldskool platformers or certain puzzle games (Adventure of Lolo might be interesting...) <p>

</p>

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:03 pm

What's wrong with Vectorman 2?

And sadly, there are no stable Saturn emulators anywhere, as far as I know. And if there are, they aren't free. <p>

Ganonfro

Unread postby Ganonfro » Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:34 am

Congo's Caper.

....If anyone knows about this game, I'm sorry.

Banjooie

Unread postby Banjooie » Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:57 pm

That game was /ace/, damnit.

SUPER SAIYAN MONKEY-BOY <p><Chat> <Matto says, "What's up?"
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Angst."
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Drama."
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Betrayal."
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Plushies."</p>

Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin

Unread postby Molokidan » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:35 pm

Haha, Sim City. That`s easy! Just call armageddon. Game finished!

But actually, I have a very good idea for time attack...

.....SimAnt!!! <p>---------------

"Well slap a dead fish on me and call me Molokidan!"</p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=molokidan>Molokidan</A]&nbsp; Image at: 9/14/04 8:36 pm

Divinegon2130

Unread postby Divinegon2130 » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:38 pm

Congo's Caper I might investigate, but SimAnt would be unlikely and, even if I wanted to do it, it would almost certainly take longer than the 70 minute time limit.

Though isn't there some sort of scenario mode for Sim City and for Sim Ant? <p>

Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin

Unread postby Molokidan » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:39 pm

Okay, okay...Skate or Die? <p>---------------

"Well slap a dead fish on me and call me Molokidan!"</p>

Ganonfro

Unread postby Ganonfro » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:42 pm

HFS.... Banj knows of this game???

Next

Return to Discussion Forum