New computer time!

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

RedEye Dragon89

New computer time!

Unread postby RedEye Dragon89 » Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:18 pm

My computer is dying... The hard drive has more bad sectors than I can count. Since the computer was given to me by a friend who got it from a friend who got it from another friend, it's nigh impossible now to install a new hard drive because the BIOS is protected by a password. Draining the battery won't work because apparently the password is stored somewhere else on the motherboard. This is why I haven't gotten much of the requests done.

Anywho, with the background story aside, I'm getting a new computer all together. Right now I'm looking at the EMachines T2682 (Link1 Link 2) though it's not finalized...

So, can you guys recommend a system that's under $700 (US) that isn't crap. Muchly appreciated.

Edited by: RedEye Dragon89 at: 12/16/03 11:23 pm

FlamingDeth

Re: New computer time!

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:25 pm

Most motherboards ahve a little jumpre you can move around to reset the BIOS. Try finding that before throwing away hundreds of dollars on a new machine.

...unless you're just dying to get a new one anyways and are just using this as an excuse.

In which case, just get a bunch of parts from http://www.newegg.com if you're a do-it-yourself guy, or if you want a package deal, try getting a Dell, as those are the best pre-built things I've found yet. <p><center><table border=0><td>Image</td><td>

I don't know what the hell this thing is, but the chicks dig it.

</td></table></center></p>

RedEye Dragon89

Unread postby RedEye Dragon89 » Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:35 pm

I'll look into that jumper thing, but I think I'll keep on looking for some new gear. I've got a new 80GB hard drive lined up but I doubt my Pentium II can handle it.

EKDS5k

Unread postby EKDS5k » Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:53 pm

You could go with a Dell, though personally I'd get a Toshiba.

If money's a concern, though, you'll get more computer for your dollar by buying the pieces individually and assembling your box like that. My suggestion would be one of those motherboards from Intel, where everything (video, audio, ethernet and the like) is onboard, but is upgradeable.

Actually, that's probably the best thing to do. The fact that you're using a PII right now is indicative that your computer isn't exactly top of the line, so the latest models are probably a step up anyway. You said you had a harddrive lined up already, and I would assume you're already got at least a CD-ROM and a floppy drive that are functional. Buy the motherboard, and maybe a new case, and you can just move that stuff over, along with whatever video cards and such you want.

Zemyla

Unread postby Zemyla » Wed Dec 17, 2003 4:48 pm

And besides, I've heard bad things about EMachines. This is just hearsay, though. <p>-----
Do not taunt Happy Fun Zemyla.

I think boobs are the lesser of two evils. - Inverse (Pervy)
Dammit, Dan, I'm not dating a damn NPC! - OOC Will (Will Baseton)
Of course! Anything worth doing is worth doing completely wrong! - Travis English

Adventurers! | RPG World World | The Phantom Lord's OT Board mkII | Indie Madnesse | Brotherhood of Elitist Bastards</p>

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:41 pm

Yeah, my friend bought an Emachine and he said that it was really not worth it. In his opinion it is cheap and affordable, but not very good at all. If anythign, go get yuouself a dell, those are nice.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:44 pm

This thread is over a month old. We typically don't revive topics this old unless the topic is really revive-worthy. <p>
<center>Hello, I'm Dia. I'm a dragongirl, and I bite. RAWR!
Image</center>-=- "Y'know, I've always been told that dragons are bigger. And less bi-pedal." -- Cuimacc (MovieMan)
-=- "Got Dragonale?" -- Richard (Nakibe)
-=- "Half elves? Uh oh, they are eaten by Dragons, we call them Dwagon Kibble here..." -- Lord McBastard
-=- "*Today's important Lesson. Dragongirls Bite. Nekojin nip*" -- UnclePervy</p>

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Wed Jan 21, 2004 8:58 pm

Woops, I'm sorry... I didn't notice the date on it : D

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:07 pm

It happens. <p>
<center>Hello, I'm Dia. I'm a dragongirl, and I bite. RAWR!
Image</center>-=- "Y'know, I've always been told that dragons are bigger. And less bi-pedal." -- Cuimacc (MovieMan)
-=- "Got Dragonale?" -- Richard (Nakibe)
-=- "Half elves? Uh oh, they are eaten by Dragons, we call them Dwagon Kibble here..." -- Lord McBastard
-=- "*Today's important Lesson. Dragongirls Bite. Nekojin nip*" -- UnclePervy</p>

Return to Discussion Forum