RP Angst: A sign from within?

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

Ajil6

RP Angst: A sign from within?

Unread postby Ajil6 » Fri Jul 04, 2003 3:48 am

I am, as we speak this, the epitome of useless angst as I type this, so I'm going to sound probably a lot sillier than I normally do when I have my rows with Bob teh Catx0r, as well as more than likely make a lot less sense.

Alright, this being the internet, I'm nearly certain that some of us RP on many other places than just RPGWorldWorld, from larping, to various MUDs, MUSHes, and MUCKs, to forums, chatrooms, and so forth and etc.

But.

Have you ever found out something that someone RP's and it just really upset you? Like, you didn't know why, but it did? I mean. It's all RP, so it's not real and stuff...

But have you ever really wondered, if people RP'ed certain things that you just.. don't like... what that says about them in reality? Like, say someone RP'ed really nasty gross stuff (think of something that disgusts you in reality, and you'd never think of RPing) and say they RP'ed it on a regular basis, and enjoy that sort of thing.

Would you say that reflects what they're like as a person inside? People have noted all my characters are all like, good, happy, nice and heroic (not here, as I don't really RP with a lot of you people in-depth). Or sometimes angsty and nonchalant, but generally pleasent. But they note that I end up resembling my characters a whole lot no matter who they are, race, gender, etc. I've noticed this about a lot of people I RP with too. Which leads me to believe that you can tell things someone's personality from the way they RP, or things about them by the way they RP.

So my non-sensical question that I ask is, basically. Does someone's RP preferences, kinks, nooks, and crannies, tell you anything about them OOCly? Does it upset you in anyway? Or am I alone in this, and am I a 'tard? Or am I just a 'tard, but not alone in this? Respond, and if it becomes controversial, lock the topic! But let people respond first, damn you all. <p>|---------|

O_O

I am wearing delicious donuts on my face, and if you've got something to say about that, you're a goddamned racist.

As my great and powerful leader and teacher, Master Walnut once said...

Go to hell.
OHDEAR.

"I found that honkey in a cracker jack box!" - Me.</p>

SuperRube

Re: RP Angst: A sign from within?

Unread postby SuperRube » Fri Jul 04, 2003 6:08 am

I'd mention that this is sort of why I don't RP much... but that'd get me shot out of a cannon.

So I'll just say that "Bob teh Catx0r" is a funny line. <p>

"Carrying a ham into a room, Mr. Connery says, 'hon mono.' It basically means that the ham he carries is genuine or real. We expect nothing less."</p>

KraKeN

Unread postby KraKeN » Fri Jul 04, 2003 6:32 am

I think I agree with you to a large extent, my very few characters take a lot after me or how I would wish to be but in my opinion that is because I am not a very good RPer. To me a good RPer is someone who can create a character who has absolutely no resemblance to them at all and rollplay them well and accurately (like an author in a way). <p>
<div style="text-align:center"> Image<br />"Now apparently just apathetic."</div></p>

SALSAlys

Unread postby SALSAlys » Fri Jul 04, 2003 10:35 am

Right, stereotypical line coming up:

"A good roleplayer is able to effectively roleplay characters who are completely different from themselves, or from eachother."

I don't know, though— people are pretty complex things, and you can find that you often share certain aspects, or SOME similarities with other people, as well as your own chars. I know I tend to do that a lot, but I emphasize certain character traits, and downplay others, for each of my characters. However, I try to get the ability to roleplay them from the fact that they ARE based a bit on my own personality.

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:27 pm

To give an example of someone RPing "gross stuff that you wonder if they're really interested in that," I have a villain character I played for the GURPS RP sessions I did who was a necrophiliac. It should be noted that I am by no means similarily attracted to the deceased.

There's almost automatically a little bit of yourself in every character you create, and your characters affect you--but I think a good RPer can distance his or her characters from him or herself and whatnot to some extent. <p>
<div style="text-align:center">Image</div>

</p>

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:07 pm

I don't think Ajil is talking about "questionable content" that occurs sporatically, or even often among one character... I think he's asking about behavior that seems to happen often spanning across multiple characters of an RPer. In that respect, I can kind of understand what he's getting at... <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

SALSAlys

Unread postby SALSAlys » Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:27 pm

Mm. Maybe. I know several of my characters are nymphomaniacs, or pretty close.

*shrug* Of course, that may not be considered 'questionable', or percentage-wise, they aren't that many of my characters.

...considering I mess around with being chibi, though, if it reflected me, that would be disturbing. >.o

Ajil6

Unread postby Ajil6 » Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:06 pm

>_> All my characters are either clueless, or the "I WANT TO BE A HERO. TEH PRINCESS SI TEH SAVEDEDX0RS OMFG ARIMASU."

So yeah. I'm the wanna be nice guy hero with the "holier than thou" attitude.

Hence why I'm Jesus. :D <p>|---------|

O_O

I am wearing delicious donuts on my face, and if you've got something to say about that, you're a goddamned racist.

As my great and powerful leader and teacher, Master Walnut once said...

Go to hell.
OHDEAR.

"I found that honkey in a cracker jack box!" - Me.</p>

WhiteShadow

Unread postby WhiteShadow » Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:16 pm

Heck, we're all the main character in the stories of our lives, so our RP characters can quite understandably follow suit.

Of course, there are differences. Say if you were in a chat RP you could RP a complete nut, with all the strangest urges you think of. Or, you could RP yourself in that context. No RP character is ever exactly like their creator (for me at least) or that person would have very little need for their imagination, and therefore would have less fun.

It's all about fantasy, and that extends to your characters. I know if my chars were just me they'd be wandering around going "Damn, look at that! I don't think I'm in Ingle Farm anymore" a lot. Pretty boring, and definitely not offensive :D <p>-----------------------------------------------------
"To fall, to fall... Glorious!"</p>

NSman1

Unread postby NSman1 » Sat Jul 05, 2003 4:15 am

There's a whole truckload of garbage that comes in off the internet. The fact is that you can't get rid of it, but just pick and choose where your time is spent most valuably. So, why are you reading this? It's nothing more than a plug for a website. Go! Don't waste your life like this!

Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=squintzaltec>Squintz]&nbsp; Image at: 7/5/03 2:41 pm

SuperRube

Unread postby SuperRube » Sat Jul 05, 2003 10:18 am

*Flashes the "Koss Signal"* <p>

"Carrying a ham into a room, Mr. Connery says, 'hon mono.' It basically means that the ham he carries is genuine or real. We expect nothing less."</p>

Return to Discussion Forum