Serious gamers please come here.

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

bunnygirle78

Serious gamers please come here.

Unread postby bunnygirle78 » Thu May 29, 2003 11:59 am

Ok. I am putting forth a request right here right now. I want all video game players to go to "The View," page and tell them that "VIDEO GAMES ARE NOT EVIL!" I swear to god. These women are totally bashing all video games. They think that they are all shooters.

Granted there are shooters out there.

What I am asking is that people please write them from their site and tell them about rpg's and some of the other games. I mean as a serious gamer it really pissis me off that people blame games for everything their kids do. I am hoping that if gamers write in that someone post or email will get on the view and stand up for us gamers who understand a good game.

Oh and please include that there is a age limit for most games, its the retailers that sell the games to kids. If your like me, and you get angry at people who bash video games, please write in.

Personally I am getting sick of people bashing something I really enjoy.

Ps. I will only post the link to the view site if I get premison to do so by the moderators. Till then just type "The Veiw" in at yahoo to find the site. <p>"Seek out a Kingdom worthy of your soul."

Reign the conquer.</p>

Jak Snide

Re: Serious gamers please come here.

Unread postby Jak Snide » Thu May 29, 2003 1:22 pm

If this is The View you're talking about, then the banner at the top makes me feel all sorts of "bloody hell..."

Also, I play violent, brutal and often sadistic video games, which may even involve me chuckling as I decapitate someone with a spade. Do I do this in real life? No! :D!

Also, even though this debate's been done 100 times over, I'm sure someone else with a better counter-argument than me will come along.

Rainbow Fright

Unread postby Rainbow Fright » Thu May 29, 2003 1:34 pm

I am *so* tempted to write to these people. Not only because of the video games, but the "Help, my kid looks like a freak!" issue. That's lovely. Give them a hideous makeover and suppress their individuality because you and a bunch of middle-aged women on a painfully boring TV show can't understand why they want to look that way. -_-

May I never really become an "adult". Sure I'll have to stop dying my hair and looking like a B-Movie vampire chick sooner or later, but I'm not going to tell my kids what they should look like, what music they can or can't listen to, or not to play video games because they're "evil" and "promote violence". Hell, I'd probably be hanging over said kid's shoulder waiting for my turn to play. I am not going to suck all the fun out of other people's lives because I can't understand why they like the things they do.

Here's to not growing up. <p><div style="text-align:center">"Hey mother look at me,
I made my connection
As I'm steppin' into heaven
Hey, don't you pity me
I'll put on perfection
As I'm steppin' into heaven"
- Zilch,"Into Heaven"</div></p>

E Mouse

Unread postby E Mouse » Thu May 29, 2003 3:30 pm

"Remember kids, you're never too old to be immature!"

- Hsu, or maybe Chan.

Actually, as I've heard argued many times in the same gaming magazine that first included that quote, the power to enforce the gaming ratings is as much the parent's responsibility as the retailer's. A good parent should keep an eye on what their kids are playing, and enforce any limits they find reasonable. For example, a smart parent would not let their 3-year-old child rent Grand Theft Auto, even for a day. The "M" rating is a bit of a giveaway.

From what I'm hearing here, these 'The View' people are not good parents. I'm betting they're the same lazy, gossiping idiots (or overworking career-obsessed moneygrubbers) who sit their kids in front of the TV and call that parenting.

It's not.

The retailers aren't entirely without fault (selling M-rated games to overeager kids with flimsy alibis, without directly asking for their parents...?), but then again, sometimes questioning things like that leads to having an angry Stupid Parent showing up and ratting you out for not selling the game to an obvious cretin such as their son. This is even after you point out the M rating and explain it.

Then again, not every kid under 18 is really too 'young' for some of the M-rated games out there. And not every 18-year-old is mature enough for them. Emotional and mental maturity are much, much more important than physical, but so far no one's come up with a way to measure it, so we're still stuck with flimsy age-based enforcements that don't really work in every situation.

This is also true of cigarettes, alchohol, sex, and everything else judged solely by the 'age' mentality.

That's my view on things, but it's a bit too informal to toss in their faces, huh? <p>-------

E'S QUOTE OF THE WHENEVER:

"I'm here to burn the lollipops."</p>

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Thu May 29, 2003 3:46 pm

People are idiots. That's about all there is to it.

At least, all that Emouse and Rain didn't say already. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=brainwalker>BrainWalker</A]&nbsp; Image at: 5/29/03 3:48:26 pm

E Mouse

Unread postby E Mouse » Thu May 29, 2003 3:50 pm

All based on that assumption of course.

If I have to list my religion, it'd probably have to be something like 'Cynic.' What else can you say about someone who finds logical arguments in the writings of both Dave Barry and Scott Adams? <p>-------

Yari Koneko

Unread postby Yari Koneko » Thu May 29, 2003 5:27 pm

"Hello, kindred. Glad to see you have some sense."

Or at least, that's what I would say. <p>

Sig pending. Live with it.</p>

bunnygirle78

Unread postby bunnygirle78 » Thu May 29, 2003 5:50 pm

I know kids try to do these things in real life. But I just want them to talk about the games that arn't like that. <p>"Seek out a Kingdom worthy of your soul."

Reign the conquer.</p>

E Mouse

Unread postby E Mouse » Thu May 29, 2003 5:58 pm

And since you asked for it:

There are such things as E-rated games as well. Some of them are just as awesome as the M-rated ones that somehow end up getting all the attention for some strange reason possibly involving idiots. Even if the popular M-rated one isn't so good anyway.

EXAMPLES: Mario, Zelda, many other Nintendo games.

Some Teen-rated games are actually fairly innocent, as well (coughSSBMcough), so those are also possibilities.

Or are you talking about forcing the kids playing games to talk about the E-rated ones? <p>-------

bunnygirle78

Unread postby bunnygirle78 » Thu May 29, 2003 6:04 pm

no Im not saying force them to play thoes. I'm just saying to talk about the ones that are fun for kids. And as for the retailes.

I just want them to examin both sides of the issue. <p>"Seek out a Kingdom worthy of your soul."

Reign the conquer.</p>

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Thu May 29, 2003 6:15 pm

Eh.

People are stupid. <p>

Image</p>

E Mouse

Unread postby E Mouse » Thu May 29, 2003 8:23 pm

Yes, End, we have established that people are stupid. Do you have any other insights to add? <p>-------

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Thu May 29, 2003 9:55 pm

...so...um...what makes this any different from all the OTHER people that no one really listens to that bash videogames nonstop? <p>
I AM A CHEF. MY MISSION IS TO COOK FOOD.

That was a recipe for kicking your ass!</p>

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Thu May 29, 2003 10:28 pm

Really, everything has already been said. This is no different from any other attempt by some source to bash gaming.

.. as posted by FD, that wily devil. I really, really doubt that if those other source aren't perceived, that 'The View' will be received any better. <p>

Image</p>

bunnygirle78

Unread postby bunnygirle78 » Fri May 30, 2003 10:47 am

Oh well, thanks for reading my post anyway. <p>"Seek out a Kingdom worthy of your soul."

Reign the conquer.</p>

ikozaedro

Unread postby ikozaedro » Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:03 pm

ok....most of the thing i think have been already said (like the stuff about parents not paying attention to the ESRB rating), so i'll say this: if i had kids, i think its better to let them get rid of their anger by killing virtual characters than real people. <p><div style="text-align:center"><span style="color:fuchsia;font-family:comic sans ms;font-size:large;">LAMBO SWIMS LIKE A BRICK!!!</span></div>
<div style="text-align:center">Image
Beware, the man eating fairy</div></p>

Ash Fanrico
The Key Master

Unread postby Ash Fanrico » Sun Jun 08, 2003 7:26 pm

Like Leiberbitch. One of the reasons why I'm still glad Gore never won was cause I knew that Senater Leiberman would use his vice-presidency to the greatest extent to fuck gamers, music lovers, and movie fans over. He's a big jackass through and through, and is in need of a serious ass-kicking. He thinks that games, music and movies (well ones that he doesn't like) turn kids into murderers, psychos, and rapists. I'll be honest with you all for a second. If anyone ever really does get into trouble cause he killed someone cause his video game or favorite band or movie told him to... I'd be very much for him getting his dumbass fried or injected. Cause if you are that base and that dumb to let something like a game or a song or a movie to influence you to the point of killing people or breaking the law, then your stupid fucking self belongs in prison or at least 6 feet under cause you are a retard or easily manipulated to the point where someone could easily convince you to jump off a building.

I play violent video games, as well as the e-rated ones and Teen rated ones. I play anything that I feel will be fun to play. I've never had the urge to go off and kill someone cause I saw Mario, or Link or Duke Nukem or Ash do something similar in a video game. I've never gone off and killed people cause I saw the Terminator, Predator, or Natural Born Killers. I never went off to sacrifice a girl or rape her or kill her cause I listened to Slayer, Manson, or Korn.

It's all a big fuckin' stupid argument and if kids really do say that they did this or that cause they saw it being done in a video game, spoken about in a song, or saw it happen in a movie... they're obviously lying so they don't get in trouble or get people like Leiberbitch to help them out of it.

It's almost as retarded as frivilous lawsuits. <p>"You know if someone's good if all they need to kick your sorry ass is a long piece of wood with hay attatched at the end! That or they're fucking nuts." --- About da Broom</p>

WhiteShadow

Unread postby WhiteShadow » Mon Jun 09, 2003 9:48 pm

I tells ya, by the time we're all adults with kids, it'll be a great time... to be a kid! Considering we'll understand games and they're effects and those who bash games now will be elderly and unfortunately noone listens to them, at least in popular circles.

But here in Australia, things are just slightly worse, or better, depending on your view. When GTAIII first came out, it was pulled from shelves and the "sleeping with prostitutes" thing was removed, and in GTA:Vice City a cut-scene was removed. And don't even try to say that the more cartoony games will escape notice, as there was a furore at the time about getting Jet Set Radio banned! I even rang up a local talkback station and had a rant about that one, best publicity the Dreamcast ever got over here :D.

Why is it better? Because we still get the games, and the uptight folks are satiated to some degree, and no gameplay is lost. Everybody wins, basically.

However, I would like to raise one small point. The things that were removed were of a sexual nature, not a violent one. It may be different over there, but Australians seem to have a policy of violence being more acceptable then the legal, natural act of gettin' it on.

How they were conceived is not for kids eyes but beating people with baseball bats is? <p>-----------------------------------------------------
"To fall, to fall... Glorious!"</p>

Excaliburned

Unread postby Excaliburned » Sun Jun 15, 2003 4:25 am

Hmm, so we're not alone.

Yeah, I read an article in the paper a few days back that commented on various taboos. Apparently, in the US and Canada (as well as Australia it would appear) there's very little problem with graphic violence, and weapons are far more permissable in comparison to Europe. There sex and nudity is far more permissable and common, while violence and weapons are taboo and greatly frowned upon.

I'm somewhat curious as to why Europe prefers sex to violence, while the major nations decended from Britain (because all of the major nations are either European, Japan, China, or former British Colonies (US, Canada, Australia, India, Pakistan if it counts)) prefer their violence over sex. <p>---------
Beware of Drunken Paladins</p>

Return to Discussion Forum