Being a teacher rocks - By Christian, age 25

Mmm, spam. Light discussion and silliness!

Moderators: BrainWalker, FlamingDeth, PriamNevhausten

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Being a teacher rocks - By Christian, age 25

Unread postby ChristianC » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:08 am

Hello.
I have worked full-time for a month today.

I have at times been stressed, angry and confused. But I have never once doubted my career choice.

It feels unreal though, so I try not to think too much about how I'm basically in charge of making sure that the kids learn something.

<3
"That's not interactive, there's no back-and-forth with the other player and how much fun is it to watch someone incredibly good at moving their eyes? And then whichever Seeker gets lucky swoops in and grabs the Snitch and makes everyone else's work moot. It's like someone took a real game and grafted on this pointless extra position just so that you could be the Most Important Player without needing to really get involved or learn the rest of it. Who was the first Seeker, the King's idiot son who wanted to play Quidditch but couldn't understand the rules?" Actually, now that Harry thought about it, that seemed like a surprisingly good hypothesis. Put him on a broomstick and tell him to catch the shiny thing...

BrainWalker
✔+

Re: Being a teacher rocks - By Christian, age 25

Unread postby BrainWalker » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:20 pm

I was 25 once. Those were dark times. Didn't have time for teachers. A boy learned what he could while fightin' to stay alive, and hoped he survived long enough to become a man and impart some of his wisdom on to the next generation.

Yep. Dark times.

In all seriousness, though, it's always heartwarming when a friend ends up in a career they find fulfilling. Kudos.
Anime is kind of like fish in that it is better the less "fishy" it is.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:28 am

I'm always glad to see someone who is a teacher because they want to be a teacher. Back in the home country (read: the state of Kentucky, not the United States of America), the trend was to aspire to become a teacher if you were a girl with no ambition or skills, and for your teachers (particularly elementary school teachers) to encourage this.

There are a lot of very poor elementary school teachers in the home country.

Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin

Unread postby Molokidan » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:39 am

Congrats, Christian! Teaching is probably the most important job in the world. It's a shame the people who do the job and the job itself is/are so abused, ignored, and basically left to rot in many countries. (Not just the US.)

I'm trying to find a lecturer position in Japan right now. I'd love a chance to teach at an actual school (not private english lessons...) but the economy is tough right now, and lots of schools look to be going out of business.
"Well slap a dead fish on me and call me Molokidan!"

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:09 am

Thank you guys!

I sort of forgot I posted this, but I'm still loving my work. I really dreaded going back to it though, just a week off gets you out of the system real fast, but then you're right back in once you get there... until your voice breaks and you can only whisper after an hour.
"That's not interactive, there's no back-and-forth with the other player and how much fun is it to watch someone incredibly good at moving their eyes? And then whichever Seeker gets lucky swoops in and grabs the Snitch and makes everyone else's work moot. It's like someone took a real game and grafted on this pointless extra position just so that you could be the Most Important Player without needing to really get involved or learn the rest of it. Who was the first Seeker, the King's idiot son who wanted to play Quidditch but couldn't understand the rules?" Actually, now that Harry thought about it, that seemed like a surprisingly good hypothesis. Put him on a broomstick and tell him to catch the shiny thing...

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:17 pm

Get a bullhorn, and whisper into it. :kirteach:

Return to Kotoki's Bar and Inn