Dear Idran

Mmm, spam. Light discussion and silliness!

Moderators: BrainWalker, FlamingDeth, PriamNevhausten

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Dear Idran

Unread postby ChristianC » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:01 am

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Re: Dear Idran

Unread postby ChristianC » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:26 am

o_รณ

THAT IS MY EXPRESSION WHEN I AM READING THIS!

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:24 am

fanfiction.net

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:40 pm

That was my first thought too, Jak. But read the first 5 chapters or so and see what you think then. :D

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:07 pm

Five chapters is an awful lot of investment to ask of someone with regards to fanfiction.net, especially without introduction or qualification.
"You haven't told me what I'm looking for."
"Anything that might be of interest to Slitscan. Which is to say, anything that might be of interest to Slitscan's audience. Which is best visualized as a vicious, lazy, profoundly ignorant, perpetually hungry organism craving the warm god-flesh of the anointed. Personally I like to imagine something the size of a baby hippo, the color of a week-old boiled potato, that lives by itself, in the dark, in a double-wide on the outskirts of Topeka. It's covered with eyes and it sweats constantly. The sweat runs into those eyes and makes them sting. It has no mouth, Laney, no genitals, and can only express its mute extremes of murderous rage and infantile desire by changing the channels on a universal remote. Or by voting in presidential elections."
--Colin Laney and Kathy Torrance, William Gibson's Idoru

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:55 pm

It's a funny story.
"That's not interactive, there's no back-and-forth with the other player and how much fun is it to watch someone incredibly good at moving their eyes? And then whichever Seeker gets lucky swoops in and grabs the Snitch and makes everyone else's work moot. It's like someone took a real game and grafted on this pointless extra position just so that you could be the Most Important Player without needing to really get involved or learn the rest of it. Who was the first Seeker, the King's idiot son who wanted to play Quidditch but couldn't understand the rules?" Actually, now that Harry thought about it, that seemed like a surprisingly good hypothesis. Put him on a broomstick and tell him to catch the shiny thing...

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:18 pm

PriamNevhausten wrote:Five chapters is an awful lot of investment to ask of someone with regards to fanfiction.net, especially without introduction or qualification.

Harry Potter as a rationalist, seeking to apply scientific principles to understanding and uncovering the methods behind magic. As if he'd been raised by Richard Dawkins, you might say. Written by a relatively prominent AI and cognitive science researcher, Eliezer Yudkowsky, so he's got a lot of rationalism background to draw from for his writing. Well-reviewed by both David Brin (author of the Uplift setting) and Eric S. Raymond (the guy behind the Jargon File).

And yeah, also it's a funny story.

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:57 pm

Brin also wrote The Postman, which is about life in a post-apocalyptic world and delves into social roles in a mail dominated society.

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:20 pm

And stars Kevin Costner.
Yo dawg I heard you like memes so I put a meme in your meme so you can meme while you meme.

Kai
Fighting the Iron Law of Oligarchy Since 2006

Unread postby Kai » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:23 pm

Wait, Yudkowsky wrote this?

Okay, I'll read it.

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:00 pm

This almost makes me wish I had read any of the Harry Potter books.
Anime is kind of like fish in that it is better the less "fishy" it is.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:58 pm

I'd recommend giving this a try anyway, BW. I know there are plenty of fans of Methods of Rationality that have never read the books, that this is their only exposure to the setting at all.

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:25 am

I'd recommend the opposite. There's a wonderful feeling of crushed child-hood dreams when you've read 7 books of the stuff and he starts blowing it apart piece by bloody piece!
:kettle:
"That's not interactive, there's no back-and-forth with the other player and how much fun is it to watch someone incredibly good at moving their eyes? And then whichever Seeker gets lucky swoops in and grabs the Snitch and makes everyone else's work moot. It's like someone took a real game and grafted on this pointless extra position just so that you could be the Most Important Player without needing to really get involved or learn the rest of it. Who was the first Seeker, the King's idiot son who wanted to play Quidditch but couldn't understand the rules?" Actually, now that Harry thought about it, that seemed like a surprisingly good hypothesis. Put him on a broomstick and tell him to catch the shiny thing...

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:27 pm

SNAKES ARE SENTIENT?

If you excuse me, I have to go lie down for a while. Also, I'm going to pick up my History of Western Philosophy book again... and maybe start studying physics... and math... urrrrr

Return to Kotoki's Bar and Inn