Would You Rather Think The Game's THAT Stupid?

Mmm, spam. Light discussion and silliness!

Moderators: BrainWalker, FlamingDeth, PriamNevhausten

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Would You Rather Think The Game's THAT Stupid?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:50 pm

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Re: Would You Rather Think The Game's THAT Stupid?

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:06 pm

I never knew random battles were part of life flashing before one's eyes.
"You haven't told me what I'm looking for."
"Anything that might be of interest to Slitscan. Which is to say, anything that might be of interest to Slitscan's audience. Which is best visualized as a vicious, lazy, profoundly ignorant, perpetually hungry organism craving the warm god-flesh of the anointed. Personally I like to imagine something the size of a baby hippo, the color of a week-old boiled potato, that lives by itself, in the dark, in a double-wide on the outskirts of Topeka. It's covered with eyes and it sweats constantly. The sweat runs into those eyes and makes them sting. It has no mouth, Laney, no genitals, and can only express its mute extremes of murderous rage and infantile desire by changing the channels on a universal remote. Or by voting in presidential elections."
--Colin Laney and Kathy Torrance, William Gibson's Idoru

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:14 pm

The game is already fucking stupid, so I say Hell yes, let's bust out some inane plot theories. It would be difficult to come up with something more inane than its writers did.
Anime is kind of like fish in that it is better the less "fishy" it is.

la_chibi

Unread postby la_chibi » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:42 pm

This both perturbs and fascinates me. Just for the sheer "what?" factor.

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:28 pm

I gave up reading part way through. I've already heard a better explanation, in reference to FF7 at that time:

Square intentionally makes plots that do not make sense.

Some of the blame for these kind of things can be placed on bad translation, but even if you account for that the plot elements of these two games never really fully mesh with themselves. I believe it's intentional because, well, just look at all of the sensation and speculation surrounding them. It is 2010 and people are still talking about them. I'm not sure if my conjectured tradition continued in 9, 10, 11 and 12 or not. I haven't played 9, never got far in 11 or 12, and the plot of 10 will forever be a grab bag of chaotic nonsense in my mind, because I saw it played through three times by three different people, in several sittings out of order, while suffering from the flu. I'm too sick of it to play through it on my own and the events are just too garbled from what I've already seen. ANYWAY, DIGRESSING. It seems like if this is the case, it has worked out well for Square. There are too many angsty anime boys on the market and coming into the market for me to believe that Cloud and Squall have the following they do without having gotten it through trickery. They're fascinating because not only are they pretty and broody, they're also in-fucking-comprehensible. They're ten kinds of fanfic fodder and Square is still making money off of their personas because of it.

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:01 am

I think the idea that Squall is really dead and imagining his greatness falls right in line with Cloud stealing his idol's identity.

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:10 pm

And then forgetting about it. A common theme to both games!
Anime is kind of like fish in that it is better the less "fishy" it is.

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:50 pm

Still they sucker you in with their numbers, and stats, and random encounters, and hidden secret weapons.

la_chibi

Unread postby la_chibi » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:54 pm

Now, Bes, EVERYTHING MAKES SENSE! =O

I am enlightened!

...and still fully admit to being a FF junkie. In my defense, I only borrow the games or otherwise play for free. ._.

Return to Kotoki's Bar and Inn