Canabalt

Mmm, spam. Light discussion and silliness!

Moderators: BrainWalker, FlamingDeth, PriamNevhausten

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Canabalt

Unread postby ChristianC » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:33 am

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Re: Canabalt

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:46 pm

2485m is my current record; jumped just a little too high that last time. I have the impression that this would be quite a different experience on a computer that wasn't made of ass and crap.
"You haven't told me what I'm looking for."
"Anything that might be of interest to Slitscan. Which is to say, anything that might be of interest to Slitscan's audience. Which is best visualized as a vicious, lazy, profoundly ignorant, perpetually hungry organism craving the warm god-flesh of the anointed. Personally I like to imagine something the size of a baby hippo, the color of a week-old boiled potato, that lives by itself, in the dark, in a double-wide on the outskirts of Topeka. It's covered with eyes and it sweats constantly. The sweat runs into those eyes and makes them sting. It has no mouth, Laney, no genitals, and can only express its mute extremes of murderous rage and infantile desire by changing the channels on a universal remote. Or by voting in presidential elections."
--Colin Laney and Kathy Torrance, William Gibson's Idoru

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:20 pm

Fun, yes. Holds my attention more than I would expect.

Edit: 2578

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:59 pm

The trick is to moderately run into the boxes to slow down

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:54 am

Christian is full of lies.

2938m is my best score by a long shot. Most other runs ended at ~1500m.

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:32 pm

Of course I am, Jak, Of course I am

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:08 pm

One day, Christian.

One day.

(Good to see that you're reading Principia Infecta.)

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:09 pm

In lieu of the game's keeping track of maximum speed, I have decided to play as though each item I trip over costs me 500m. Because going fast is hard, and therefore fun.

edit: With these new, fun rules, my high score so far is 2622m.
"Anything that might be of interest to Slitscan. Which is to say, anything that might be of interest to Slitscan's audience. Which is best visualized as a vicious, lazy, profoundly ignorant, perpetually hungry organism craving the warm god-flesh of the anointed. Personally I like to imagine something the size of a baby hippo, the color of a week-old boiled potato, that lives by itself, in the dark, in a double-wide on the outskirts of Topeka. It's covered with eyes and it sweats constantly. The sweat runs into those eyes and makes them sting. It has no mouth, Laney, no genitals, and can only express its mute extremes of murderous rage and infantile desire by changing the channels on a universal remote. Or by voting in presidential elections."

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:53 pm

Tripping over items seems to be useful though, since there is a speed at which jumping into close windows becomes very difficult.

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:43 pm

*won't rest till he hits 3000* e_e

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:17 pm

I almost hit 6000 but a mine dropped onto where I was landing, after I was already descending from a jump.

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:00 am

Capntastic wrote:I almost hit 6000 but a mine dropped onto where I was landing, after I was already descending from a jump.

Excuses. Always excuses.

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:48 am

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:09 am

I'm wondering what exactly those things that fall out of the sky are. Explosives of some sort, no doubt, but you barely have time to look at them before you jump over them/reduce yourself to a pixelated mist.

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:24 am

Almost certain they're unexploded bombs dropped by the same zoomy ships what zoom past all willy nilly.

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:49 am

Of <i>course</i> tripping over things is useful. But it's not necessary. Making them a distance tradeoff puts skill back into the game, rather than mere patience and persistence. I refuse to play this game like it's an MMORPG.

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:25 am

M-my liege! *kneels*

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:44 pm

Photographic evidence

Captured just as the rounded tip hit the ground, and not before. Some kind of bomb, it would seem. Which, you know. Falling from the sky. Makes sense.

Also, what the hell, the forums don't seem to want to accept my HTML anymore. Again.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:27 pm

It's the Idrani Conspiracy at work again, mark my words.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:49 am

Pretty much.

I don't know what you mean by again, ever since the update they've never accepted HTML.

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:37 am

Really? I thought for a while it was okay with the <a> tag, as long as the target wasn't in doublequotes, or some such mystery. Well, whatever.

Return to Kotoki's Bar and Inn