The Fortress of Dorfs

Mmm, spam. Light discussion and silliness!

Moderators: BrainWalker, FlamingDeth, PriamNevhausten

Christian
Dead Stompy

The Fortress of Dorfs

Unread postby Christian » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:16 pm

So, as some of you know, there is a kick-ass game-making company linked in our Affiliates, with the download of Dwarf Fortress just hanging there.

So there I was, thinking... why don't we have a Boat Murdered game?

Haven't heard of Boat Murdered? Geez. http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/Boatmurdered/

Read it. If you didn't find the prospect of controlling little dwarfs and trying to convince them to do their jobs without going insane from exposure to sunlight, then you must read this.

As for the concept, it's fairly simple and straight-forward. We each play a year of the game in turn, save at the end of the year and then put up the latest file somewhere convenient for the next person to continue. The goal isn't winning (remember, losing is FUN) but rather see what freaky antics our fortress will have to endure when their Keeper is changed every year.

Oh, and anything that's not obviously hurting the fortress (i.e. flooding the place with lava) will not be frowned upon.

=) Anyone up for it?

Christian
Dead Stompy

Re: The Fortress of Dorfs

Unread postby Christian » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:42 pm

Also, I might add, in a freak double post, that DF's gone a LONG way since Boatmurdered. Basically, it's a tad bit harder to lose these days. I still remember fondly when a goblin army invaded my fledgling fort only half a year into the game. :D My lumberjack took one with him before they all died.

Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Unread postby Spleen » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:12 pm

Dwarf Fortress isn't as funny as it was back when Boatmurdered happened. It's a fuller and all-around BETTER game now, it's true, but packs of wild elephants don't ransack fortresses on enormous murder sprees anymore. I don't think anyone wants to hear about how on my turn, I expanded the housing block and made some doors. Boatmurdered was so well-known because the game doesn't usually create scenarios as ridiculous as some of the ones that took place there, and certainly not in THIS version.

Also, how the HELL did goblins get into your fort? Did you, like, not have doors?
"Tell you what, Leto, I won't fight with you. Zeus' wives are pretty tough customers. You have my permission to boast openly that you have beaten the daylights out of me."
-Hermes, the Iliad (Stanley Lombardo, translator) Book 21

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:29 pm

Oh, I had some doors, but not everywhere, and I was in the process of extending a badly constructed piece of solid rock into proper, square walls. So there was about... two or three places where I hadn't put up any walls, and they came in that way. I only had 7 dwarves at the time.

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:16 pm

For what it's worth, I'll be co-hosting with Toady for the new official monthly Bay12 podcast.

If anyone has questions for the man himself, feel free to post them here.

Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Unread postby Spleen » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:15 pm

I have one!

Dear Toady:
Why are you letting a chucklehead like Capntastic co-host a podcast?
"Tell you what, Leto, I won't fight with you. Zeus' wives are pretty tough customers. You have my permission to boast openly that you have beaten the daylights out of me."
-Hermes, the Iliad (Stanley Lombardo, translator) Book 21

Return to Kotoki's Bar and Inn