Who pokes the Pokemen?

Mmm, spam. Light discussion and silliness!

Moderators: BrainWalker, FlamingDeth, PriamNevhausten

Ganonfro

Who pokes the Pokemen?

Unread postby Ganonfro » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:51 am

I do. :eng101:

Anyways! They have announced in Japan what the newest games are going to be... And in true Nintendo fashion, it's a remake of a previous game, Gold and Silver! Only like Leaf Green and Fire Red, they have fairly stupid added descriptions of gold and silver in front....

Well? DISCUSS, PEOPLE. WHAT AM I PAYING YOU FOR?

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Re: Who pokes the Pokemen?

Unread postby Idran1701 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:17 am

Are you going to post a link or something to discuss about?

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:05 am

And add content? That would be madness.

Kai
Fighting the Iron Law of Oligarchy Since 2006

Unread postby Kai » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:35 am

*is still waiting for Pokemon Gold-Pressed Latinum*

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:21 am

I want the PokeWalker.

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:22 pm

Man, I'm hungry. Wanna get some Chinese?
"You haven't told me what I'm looking for."
"Anything that might be of interest to Slitscan. Which is to say, anything that might be of interest to Slitscan's audience. Which is best visualized as a vicious, lazy, profoundly ignorant, perpetually hungry organism craving the warm god-flesh of the anointed. Personally I like to imagine something the size of a baby hippo, the color of a week-old boiled potato, that lives by itself, in the dark, in a double-wide on the outskirts of Topeka. It's covered with eyes and it sweats constantly. The sweat runs into those eyes and makes them sting. It has no mouth, Laney, no genitals, and can only express its mute extremes of murderous rage and infantile desire by changing the channels on a universal remote. Or by voting in presidential elections."
--Colin Laney and Kathy Torrance, William Gibson's Idoru

Ganonfro

Unread postby Ganonfro » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:59 pm

Nope. I figured this announcement would be interesting enough to talk about by itself.

I mean, besides the fact that you'll likely have a new area just to catch Shinnoh pokemon... Which leads me to gain the party of Bidoof, Sentret, Rattata, and 3 zangoose. USELESS PARTY IS GO.

http://www.geek.com/articles/games/poke ... t-2009069/

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:16 pm

:kirteach: Bidoof are awesome!

Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Unread postby Spleen » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:55 am

PriamNevhausten wrote:Man, I'm hungry. Wanna get some Chinese?

Hell yeah I'll get some Chinese! Which place do you wanna go to?
"Tell you what, Leto, I won't fight with you. Zeus' wives are pretty tough customers. You have my permission to boast openly that you have beaten the daylights out of me."
-Hermes, the Iliad (Stanley Lombardo, translator) Book 21

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:51 pm

Okay, I don't really give much of a shit about Pokémon other than being impressed by the wide variety of Pokécritters they've come up with over the years, but this Poképedometer thing is pretty crazy. I don't know if it's retarded or brilliant, but either way I can definitely see it making them some money. Nintendo seem to be really good at that.

So since there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of interest in the topic of Pokémon Consciousness Aluminum and Conscience Magnesium, how about the concept of a Pokémon MMO? I tend not to care much about either Pokémon or MMOs, but it seems like the Pokéverse is a pretty good fit for the MMO genre. It'll never happen, but it seems like it could be an app that could "print money" for Nintendo.

Plus if I could surf the ocean on the back of a wailord, I might have to sign up.
Anime is kind of like fish in that it is better the less "fishy" it is.

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:59 pm

Well, there is a Shin Megami Tensei MMO, and the formula is very, very similar. It could happen.
"You haven't told me what I'm looking for."
"Anything that might be of interest to Slitscan. Which is to say, anything that might be of interest to Slitscan's audience. Which is best visualized as a vicious, lazy, profoundly ignorant, perpetually hungry organism craving the warm god-flesh of the anointed. Personally I like to imagine something the size of a baby hippo, the color of a week-old boiled potato, that lives by itself, in the dark, in a double-wide on the outskirts of Topeka. It's covered with eyes and it sweats constantly. The sweat runs into those eyes and makes them sting. It has no mouth, Laney, no genitals, and can only express its mute extremes of murderous rage and infantile desire by changing the channels on a universal remote. Or by voting in presidential elections."
--Colin Laney and Kathy Torrance, William Gibson's Idoru

Ganonfro

Unread postby Ganonfro » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:21 pm

I believe the current mentality towards Pokemon and MMO's is that it'd bring too much anonymity for a game that is primarily supposed to be played between friends, when right next to each other. This is Nintendo's pride and joy, after all, and they can't have 8 year olds battling 40 year old strangers, who knows what the media/crazy mothers might start thinking!

That out of the way, I'd probably lose myself to a PokeMMO, unlike any other that I've played*. Especially if the avatars/character creators ended up with you making one of the NPC battlers, like picnicker and Pokemaniac.

*Though in hindsight I've only played 2 others, this isn't saying too much.

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:53 am

I'd actually have to break my pact never to play another MMO if they released a PokeMMO. I have ALWAYS loved the games, but being the antisocial loner friendless miser radical dude I am, I don't have anyone in the vicinity to play. The reason being, of course, that most people consider themselves too "kewl" for the Pokaymans. Which is of course bullshit.

I'd never stoop to the TCG though. The WoW one is pretty sweet, but even that didn't keep me interested.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:15 am

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:54 pm

At the mention of 300 % higher chance of Shinies (for paying members, I dunno?), I zoned out.

I guess I have to edit my statement. If Nintendo makes an official mmo, I'd play it.

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:44 am

I've seen a couple different attempts at pokemon arena type games hosted online. They were all filled with griefing and shame. Oh, and static level 50s. No training for you. >:

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:57 am

Ever since I became aware of the immense cheating in probability (you miss like a mo***-f***er) in the first Arena game to 64, I have been sceptical...

But I can be convinced!

Ganonfro

Unread postby Ganonfro » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:32 pm

Indeed to all of the above posts. If a SANCTIONED Nintendo PokemonMMO came out, it would probably out do WoW in fanbase. I'm hesitant to play any non nintendo content as the people who usually make them (and I've looked around) are the people who play in mini tournaments on 4chan, PA forums, and SA Forums. They're the most insane type of players, and sadly, they'd be the players that would more or less ruin a Nintendo based MMO. The meta game is everything to them, and not about "Hey guys, wanna battle? I just started playing a couple days ago, and I want to see if my 15 Bidoof is in fightan shape!"

If the game ever was created, I'd see it being a huge amount of cliques (Guilds, gyms, whatever) and a giant group of not always satisfied loners casual players... I don't know which side would be populated the most by 8-14 year olds, but they'd be updating the game for that group to have fun, as this is Nintendo and the "Train them while they're young" mentality would want to make sure they breed loyalty. The pokemon analogies in that last sentence are boundless.

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:14 pm

Pokemon has taught me that love and kindness will persevere, so off I go with my six level one pidgeys to become... a master.

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:44 am

Pokemon the anime told me that you don't have to train your pokaymen as long as you've got GUTS.

Seriously, he's got like... 15 of them... idiot.

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:06 pm

'Idiot'? That's Gary-speak...

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:17 pm

Ash Ketchum? More like... Suck... Suckum...um... amirite?

Return to Kotoki's Bar and Inn