Final Fantasy IV: The After Years

Mmm, spam. Light discussion and silliness!

Moderators: BrainWalker, FlamingDeth, PriamNevhausten

pd Rydia

Final Fantasy IV: The After Years

Unread postby pd Rydia » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:49 pm

Final Fantasy IV: The After Years, was originally brought to my attention by FFFDave (if I recall correctly). For those who missed it, the game is a direct sequel to the story of FFIV. As of yet it has only been released in Japan, appearing in episodic format for cellphones.

Square-Enix's European division has said that the game will come to WiiWare, XBLA, and PSN. In support of this rumor, the game has recently received an ESRB rating for the WiiWare platform, heavily suggestive of a North American release.

I have no idea how to express my joy, so here are synchronized bouncing bunnies with pancakes on their heads!
:bunny: :bunny: :bunny:

Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin

Unread postby Molokidan » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:07 pm

I've downloaded the first few episodes for my phone and played through them. They're more challenging than I expected, which is great, and the graphics/music is very nostalgic and a lot of fun to be immersed in. But it costs you money just to play, even after you've downloaded with the initial fee because it 'registers' your save on the internet, which is just dumb, so I refuse to pay for any more, at least until I become rich enough to upgrade my cellphone plan to unlimited packets...but I'm glad it's set for a (possible) console release, so that I'll get to play it in its entirety someday.
"Well slap a dead fish on me and call me Molokidan!"

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:39 pm

As important as FFIV was to my history as a gamer, I remain un-excited about this until I can actually see what's going on in the game. I know the status of "cell phone game" is different in Japan than it is over here, but it still doesn't fill me with hope.

Also, the name of the protagonist, Cecil and Rosa's son Ceodore, makes me want to punch the entire nation of Japan.
Anime is kind of like fish in that it is better the less "fishy" it is.

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:14 pm

Oh thank god, someone else said it. ;-; *hugs BW*

FF Fanatic 80
Driver of the OOC Bus

Unread postby FF Fanatic 80 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:48 pm

Considering we've had such blockbuster names as

Cloud
Squall
Bartz

I'm really not seeing a problem here.
*looks at username* then again I'm probably heavily biased. =(

NamagomiMk0

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:59 pm

From what I've heard from someone who's played it, FF4:TA isn't exactly that good. I wouldn't cross my fingers about this one, personally.

Case in point: I've heard it's apparently back to needing level-grinding to get through certain areas.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:08 pm

I wasn't so keen on the name at first, appearing as it does to be created by Rube's patented "bash your face against the keyboard" method. But, at least, Ceodore makes a lot more sense after having played through FF4 DS, where (if I remember correctly)
Spoiler:
Golbez's given name was revealed to be Theodore. Which, incidentally, makes her name super manly
. Also, it's possible to actually remember her name, since there's actually reasoning behind it.
NamagomiMk0 wrote:From what I've heard from someone who's played it, FF4:TA isn't exactly that good. I wouldn't cross my fingers about this one, personally.

Case in point: I've heard it's apparently back to needing level-grinding to get through certain areas.

I wouldn't be surprised if the game does do a lot to copy FF4 mechanics. I can see that being a problem for people who started gaming more recently, but it'll not be much of a problem for me. I have a lot of tolerance for RPG tropes.

But as for complaints of level-grinding, I take those with a grain of salt, Every time I hear someone complain about it--for, say, FF4 DS or DQ4 DS--I breeze my way through the game. I guess I'm just <s>twinky</s> super-awesome that way.

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:00 pm

pd Rydia wrote:
Spoiler:
Golbez's given name was revealed to be Theodore. Which, incidentally, makes her name super manly

Wait, her name?
Spoiler:
Golbez is a chick? How can Golbez be Cecil's brother if he is a woman?
I'm so confused.

I am also confused on the etiquette of replying to spoilers with things that aren't necessarily spoileriffic.
Anime is kind of like fish in that it is better the less "fishy" it is.

Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin

Unread postby Molokidan » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:07 pm

I liked the game a lot, specifically because it took a lot from the original game's mechanics.

And yeah, shit is hard in this game sometimes. That doesn't necessarily mean you have to grind yourself into oblivion, just utilize a bit of strategy :P

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:47 pm

BrainWalker wrote:Wait, her name?
Spoiler:
Golbez is a chick? How can Golbez be Cecil's brother if he is a woman?
I'm so confused.

I am also confused on the etiquette of replying to spoilers with things that aren't necessarily spoileriffic.
Her name, as in Ceodore's name, Ceodore.
Spoiler:
Presumedly, the name comes from a fusion of Cecil and Theodore, so super-manly.
I can see the confusion, though, since I spoiled the two statements together.

:c00lisar:

FF Fanatic 80
Driver of the OOC Bus

Unread postby FF Fanatic 80 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:33 pm

Um... I was pretty sure Ceodore is their son, not their daughter. o_O

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:43 am

Really? I must have misread that one long ago.

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:18 pm

Ceodore is a Final Fantasy hero/heroine; Gender is debatable and would be nearly impossible to determine if characters in game didn't keep using gneder pronouns to refer to them. That said, I'm not sure it matters. :x

Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin

Unread postby Molokidan » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:22 am

Yeah, Ceodore is definitely a he.

Return to Kotoki's Bar and Inn