Japan's Takarazuka Revue does Phoenix Wright

Mmm, spam. Light discussion and silliness!

Moderators: BrainWalker, FlamingDeth, PriamNevhausten

BrainWalker
✔+

Japan's Takarazuka Revue does Phoenix Wright

Unread postby BrainWalker » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:05 am

It's possible some of you may already know abou this, and it's also possible that some of you have never heard of the all-women musical theatre troupe, the Takarazuka Revue. I was intrigued by the concept of a Phoenix Wright musical when I first heard about it, and toay Kotaku has a sneak peak of their performance. Not unerstanding Japanese makes it difficult to accurately determine how good it turned out, but it does seem to be appropriately goofy for the mediums of musical theater and cartoony courtroom drama video games.

I dunno, though. Even if it weren't super-great, if I were in Japan, and, you know, understood Japanese, I would have to go see this.

Also, do yourself a favor and ignore half the commentary on that article.
Anime is kind of like fish in that it is better the less "fishy" it is.

Kai
Fighting the Iron Law of Oligarchy Since 2006

Unread postby Kai » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:55 am

Man. I would do things to see the Takarazuka that I wouldn't even do for a Klondike Bar. No frigging joke.

This just verifies that the Takarazuka Revue is basically the most awesome thing in all of theater ever.

Edit: I feel privileged to have been able to watch that whole ten minute clip, and at work where people will be wondering what the hell I'm clapping and laughing in delight over.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:34 pm

Capcom has a page on it:
http://www.capcom.co.jp/gyakutensaiban/ ... index.html
Wright wanted you to know.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:39 pm

Are we going to be seeing a the full show posted online at any point? Destructoid have been covering it in some capacity, but I've been holding out for the full experience.

Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin

Unread postby Molokidan » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:39 pm

I saw a poster of this at the kabuki theatre I went to a few weeks ago and almost swooned.

I kinda wanna go see it. It's playing for a few weeks in Tokyo which means I'd have to take a trip there, which is no big deal. The good seat tickets are 7500 yen and the bad seat tickets are 5000 yen, which is expensive, but that's to be expected for takarazuka, which has tons of crazy zealot fans (and we're talking JAPANESE zealot fans, which makes them even more insane). They line up in lines outside the actresses' rooms and wait for them to come out to just wave, and they all bow at the same time and then the fan in front presents the actress with a collective present. There is also apparently really harsh senior-junior relationships between these fans...Japanese fans scare me, seriously. And also do note that these fans are almost 100% female.

But yeah...I really wanna go see this. I'll let you know if I end up going, it's still too far ahead (a few weeks) to plan.
"Well slap a dead fish on me and call me Molokidan!"

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:49 am

Molokidan wrote:I kinda wanna go see it. It's playing for a few weeks in Tokyo which means I'd have to take a trip there, which is no big deal. The good seat tickets are 7500 yen and the bad seat tickets are 5000 yen, which is expensive, but that's to be expected for takarazuka, which has tons of crazy zealot fans (and we're talking JAPANESE zealot fans, which makes them even more insane). They line up in lines outside the actresses' rooms and wait for them to come out to just wave, and they all bow at the same time and then the fan in front presents the actress with a collective present. There is also apparently really harsh senior-junior relationships between these fans...Japanese fans scare me, seriously. And also do note that these fans are almost 100% female.
So wait, are you in Japan, or is a flight to Japan no big deal? o_o

Yeah, I heard about Takarazuka fans. Wacky Japan.

Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin

Unread postby Molokidan » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:27 pm

<--- I'm in Kyoto. :monocle:

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:56 pm

Molokidan wrote:<--- I'm in Kyoto. :monocle:

:monocle: indeed!

How easy/difficult is it to find a specific game title in Japan, and how cheap/expensive are used games? Cuz I've been looking for a copy of Hudson's Puzzle Series Vol. 11: Nurikabe for a bit, and if I have to pay an upcharge to anyone, I'd rather send it to a friend than some eBay seller.

Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin

Unread postby Molokidan » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:01 pm

Pretty easy, except Nurikabe looks like a pretty new game, so I doubt the prices would be exceptionally low. The retail price is around $30, and I see most import shops charging $35-40 for it, which isn't that bad. There was one place that only had $5 shipping.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:28 pm

Mind hitting me up with some store links? I mostly shop Play-asia, and they've been out of the game for a corn's age.

Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin

Unread postby Molokidan » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:28 pm

Here's the site I found it on using google:

http://www.gamebaz.com/?a=i&i=6334

Price for shipping seems pretty reasonable. Although I've never personally used the site before.

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:18 am

I would so go to that Phoenix Wright show if I was able. Do they ever travel abroad to perform?

Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin

Unread postby Molokidan » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:03 am

http://www.takarazuka-revue.info/tiki-i ... rformances

I don't think so.

Also, I mean no offense to BW, but could a mod fix the misspelling of Takarazuka in the title?

Return to Kotoki's Bar and Inn