Oh my god this forum is still here

Mmm, spam. Light discussion and silliness!

Moderators: BrainWalker, FlamingDeth, PriamNevhausten

Banjooie

Oh my god this forum is still here

Unread postby Banjooie » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:22 pm

oh wow

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:59 pm

Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Unread postby Spleen » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:05 pm

YOU'RE SEEING THINGS.
"Tell you what, Leto, I won't fight with you. Zeus' wives are pretty tough customers. You have my permission to boast openly that you have beaten the daylights out of me."
-Hermes, the Iliad (Stanley Lombardo, translator) Book 21

Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin

Unread postby Molokidan » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:01 am

Spleen, is that quote in your signature paraphrasing or from some really liberal translation I don't know about?
"Well slap a dead fish on me and call me Molokidan!"

Banjooie

Unread postby Banjooie » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:45 am

:iiam: ?

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:41 am

Hi

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:19 am

Molo: It's the Stanley Lombardo translation of the Iliad. It happens just after Hera beats Artemis with her own bow. It's an epically surreal part of the translation, which is why it's my signature. I saw it while reading the Iliad for a class, and I was like "Wow...sig."
"Tell you what, Leto, I won't fight with you. Zeus' wives are pretty tough customers. You have my permission to boast openly that you have beaten the daylights out of me."

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:32 pm

Yup.

So what forum drama are you instigating/observing/recording for prosperity these days?

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:54 am

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:23 pm

We're like that memory of the time you wet yourself in the middle of school. Every time you think you've forgotten us we pop back up from out of nowhere.

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:07 pm

And whenever you're drunk, you'll think we'd make a funny story to tell, or at least braggable, and inform all your less-drunk friends about us.

EDIT: Jesus, I can't believe I'm supposed to be an English Major...

Taiar

Unread postby Taiar » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:45 pm

And everytime you see those friends again, you'll hope that they've forgotten that story you told them about us, but they won't have and will continue to judge you silently forever and ever.

glu-glu
wears confusing avatars.

Unread postby glu-glu » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:59 pm

And when you're gone this place will be still alive.
sig pending...

Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin

Unread postby Molokidan » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:48 pm

Glu-Glu makes a disturbingly morbid point.
"Well slap a dead fish on me and call me Molokidan!"

Taiar

Unread postby Taiar » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:36 am

Molo! You have ruined sushi for me!

glu-glu
wears confusing avatars.

Unread postby glu-glu » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:11 am

Molokidan wrote:Glu-Glu makes a disturbingly morbid point.

Gosh, now that you put it in perspective, i never thought a simple attempt to make a Portal joke would make me sound like a douchebag.
sig pending...

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:19 pm

glu-glu wrote:No les grite a los conchodrilos
Do not yell at the...the whats?

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:18 pm

Crocodiles, I'm guessin'

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:52 pm

Capntastic wrote:Crocodiles, I'm guessin'
Babelfish is pretty sure that the/a Spanish word for crocodile is "cocodrilo."

This looks like some hilarious Spangrish

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:55 pm

In my defense there's only one croc in the image.

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:36 am

It is perhaps a pun! I see that 'concho' has a meaning of 'rustic' or 'vulgar' as a possibility, so perhaps it's, do not yell at the redneckrodiles?
"You haven't told me what I'm looking for."
"Anything that might be of interest to Slitscan. Which is to say, anything that might be of interest to Slitscan's audience. Which is best visualized as a vicious, lazy, profoundly ignorant, perpetually hungry organism craving the warm god-flesh of the anointed. Personally I like to imagine something the size of a baby hippo, the color of a week-old boiled potato, that lives by itself, in the dark, in a double-wide on the outskirts of Topeka. It's covered with eyes and it sweats constantly. The sweat runs into those eyes and makes them sting. It has no mouth, Laney, no genitals, and can only express its mute extremes of murderous rage and infantile desire by changing the channels on a universal remote. Or by voting in presidential elections."
--Colin Laney and Kathy Torrance, William Gibson's Idoru

glu-glu
wears confusing avatars.

Unread postby glu-glu » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:53 am

PriamNevhausten wrote:It is perhaps a pun! I see that 'concho' has a meaning of 'rustic' or 'vulgar' as a possibility, so perhaps it's, do not yell at the redneckrodiles?

It's not a real word, it's a misspelling of "Cocodrilos" which certainly means "crocodiles", this is an image i made based on a hilarious sign post which reads that. It was on showcased on a blog with lots of equally hilarious images with all kinds of misspellings and other horrors against grammar.

The literal translation would be something along the lines of "Shellodiles", but funnily enough i always thought it would certainly mean something along the lines of "Redneckrodiles".
sig pending...

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:53 pm

glu-glu wrote:
PriamNevhausten wrote:It is perhaps a pun! I see that 'concho' has a meaning of 'rustic' or 'vulgar' as a possibility, so perhaps it's, do not yell at the redneckrodiles?

It's not a real word, it's a misspelling of "Cocodrilos" which certainly means "crocodiles", this is an image i made based on a hilarious sign post which reads that. It was on showcased on a blog with lots of equally hilarious images with all kinds of misspellings and other horrors against grammar.

The literal translation would be something along the lines of "Shellodiles", but funnily enough i always thought it would certainly mean something along the lines of "Redneckrodiles".
That'd explain the crooked eyes!

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:16 pm

Requesting a larger version of the image in question, to bask in!

glu-glu
wears confusing avatars.

Unread postby glu-glu » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:59 pm

sig pending...

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:15 am

I love it when I'm right. Also, Pervy submits that a more concise form may be "Hickrodile." I'm inclined to agree.
"Anything that might be of interest to Slitscan. Which is to say, anything that might be of interest to Slitscan's audience. Which is best visualized as a vicious, lazy, profoundly ignorant, perpetually hungry organism craving the warm god-flesh of the anointed. Personally I like to imagine something the size of a baby hippo, the color of a week-old boiled potato, that lives by itself, in the dark, in a double-wide on the outskirts of Topeka. It's covered with eyes and it sweats constantly. The sweat runs into those eyes and makes them sting. It has no mouth, Laney, no genitals, and can only express its mute extremes of murderous rage and infantile desire by changing the channels on a universal remote. Or by voting in presidential elections."

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:26 am

I trust Pervy to be an expert on Hickrodiles.

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:56 pm

You know what's fun? Linguistics.
Anime is kind of like fish in that it is better the less "fishy" it is.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:08 pm

BrainWalker wrote:You know what's fun? Linguistics.
You bet!

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:14 am

Why yes, I do rather like my major, BW. Linguistics FTW.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:53 am

Already shared this link with Priam, but yes, Linguistics is fun. And cool too. :D

On that note, I didn't realize you were studying Linguistics, Spleen. That's neat, I've always had an interest in it. Have you figured out a specific field of Linguistics you're going to be focusing on yet?

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:38 am

Linguistics is awesome. Maybe that's what I should get back into college to do.

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:48 am

Of course it's a brilliant subject, why else would I be writing my paper on it? I'm finishing my BA in it come summer. =D

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:31 pm

Idran: There are two Linguistics majors offered at UMD; one's called Languages, the other Grammars and Cognition. I'm in the latter one. I haven't done enough yet to specialize or anything - I've only been in the major for a semester now - but I'm especially interested in studying bilinguals (especially code-switching bilinguals) and syntax.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:00 am

Spleen wrote:Idran: There are two Linguistics majors offered at UMD; one's called Languages, the other Grammars and Cognition. I'm in the latter one. I haven't done enough yet to specialize or anything - I've only been in the major for a semester now - but I'm especially interested in studying bilinguals (especially code-switching bilinguals) and syntax.
Code-switching bilinguals?

Archmage
REAL DOCTOR. FROM AMERICA.

Unread postby Archmage » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:16 pm

Code-switching is when people switch between languages in mid-sentence, often just for one or two words.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:49 pm

Archmage wrote:Code-switching is when people switch between languages in mid-sentence, often just for one or two words.

Are you sure about that? I've never heard code-switching used that way, I've always heard it referred to how people use different languages/dialects/levels of formality in different situations. That makes sense too, though.

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:35 pm

In Spleen's context, I'm likely to believe it's Brian's. It seems to me that's a good way for....creoles, is it?...to come about. Though strange for a true bilingual to do it, rather than a learner of a language or two, I'd think.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:50 pm

Okay, I stopped being lazy and did a little googling myself. Wikipedia says code-switching is switching between languages or varieties/lects...

[1] ...between sentences (intersentential)
[2] ...within a single sentence (intrasentential)
[3] ...within a word itself (intra-word)

re: Creole:
"Code-switching is distinct from pidgin, in which features of two languages are combined. However, creole languages (which are very closely related to pidgins), when in close contact with related standard languages (such as with Jamaican Creole English or Guyanese Creole English), can exist in a continuum within which speakers may code-switch along a basilect-mesolect-acrolect hierarchy depending on context. Code-switching is also different from (but is often accompanied by) spontaneous borrowing of words from another language, sometimes outfitted with the inflections of the host language, sometimes not."

Also, re: true bilingualism vs. learned bilingualism:
"Although some commentators have seen code-switching as reflecting a lack of language ability, most contemporary scholars consider code-switching to be a normal and natural product of interaction between the bilingual (or multilingual) speaker's languages."

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:58 pm

Huh, neat. I've learned something new!

Next

Return to Kotoki's Bar and Inn