On bees and video games.

Mmm, spam. Light discussion and silliness!

Moderators: BrainWalker, FlamingDeth, PriamNevhausten

BrainWalker
✔+

On bees and video games.

Unread postby BrainWalker » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:21 pm

First, an excerpt from a conversation between myself and the other Brian:

Arch mage144: Also, Mega Man 9 is pretty cool
BrainWalkr: Mega Man 9 ended up being way cooler than I actually thought it was going to be. Paritally because the stage designs are awesome, but mostly because all the weapons are badass in their own ways.
Arch mage144: BEE GUN
Arch mage144: BRB
BrainWalkr: Fuck yea.
Arch mage144: Back.
BrainWalkr: It's kind of scary that I can name 3 games in recent memory where you get to use bees as an offensive strategy.
Arch mage144: Really? What are the others? I can think of some, but not recent games.
BrainWalkr: Bioshock and Castle Crashers
BrainWalkr: For a split second I was tempted to launch an exhaustive study on video games that have allowed you to use bees offensively, but I thought better of it.
Arch mage144: Ah, I see. I was thinking of Plok; I can't think of anything else off-hand.
BrainWalkr: Well, there's Metal Gear Solid 3, where if you subdue The Pain with non-lethal force, you get his camo, which will cause any bees you come across to swarm around you and sting any enemies you come across. Then there's Darkstalkers, where one of the characters is a bee. Then there's Link to the Past, where you can get the Good Bee by ramming that one statue near where you get the ice rod.
Arch mage144: Yes!
BrainWalkr: Oh God, I'm getting sucked in.
BrainWalkr: I might create a topic at RPGWW about this.
BrainWalkr: I never played more than like 5 minutes of Plok. There were bees in that game?
Arch mage144: Yes.
BrainWalkr: Now I have to play it.

So, I'm not motivated to create an exhaustive scholarly list and categorization of the use of bees in video games, but I figured at the very least this could serve for an amusing topic of conversation.

RPGWW, your task has been set before you. Lay upon me your videogame knowledge!
Anime is kind of like fish in that it is better the less "fishy" it is.

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:47 pm

"You haven't told me what I'm looking for."
"Anything that might be of interest to Slitscan. Which is to say, anything that might be of interest to Slitscan's audience. Which is best visualized as a vicious, lazy, profoundly ignorant, perpetually hungry organism craving the warm god-flesh of the anointed. Personally I like to imagine something the size of a baby hippo, the color of a week-old boiled potato, that lives by itself, in the dark, in a double-wide on the outskirts of Topeka. It's covered with eyes and it sweats constantly. The sweat runs into those eyes and makes them sting. It has no mouth, Laney, no genitals, and can only express its mute extremes of murderous rage and infantile desire by changing the channels on a universal remote. Or by voting in presidential elections."
--Colin Laney and Kathy Torrance, William Gibson's Idoru

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:45 pm

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:02 am

Gus's post reminded me of another example, Brian. I don't know about you, but I love bees.

(Explanation)

Archmage
REAL DOCTOR. FROM AMERICA.

Unread postby Archmage » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:09 am

Bees! Oooh, BEES! I-I-I love BEES!

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:51 pm

Priam has simultaneously honored this topic and shamed me.

Gus meanwhile has shamed us all, but redeemed himself with comedy.

And Idran brings up a slice of recent gaming history that I was somehow completely unaware of. Fascinating stuff.

Edit: I bring you MORE AIM CONVERSATIONS (actually just one)
BrainWalkr: DO YOU LIKE MY NEW HAT!?
SongstressEnlil: *Lufia 2 and FF6 had Bees as random encounters*
SongstressEnlil: *And I am certain at least one Megaman X game had a bee-relatesd reploid, who was probably not named the Drive Bee*
BrainWalkr: It did, actually. You got seeker bees from him, too. I forget his name, though.
SongstressEnlil: *Didn't Little Nemo have the bee suit?*
BrainWalkr: OH SHIT
SongstressEnlil: *Mario Galaxy did*
BrainWalkr: OH SHIT AGAIN
SongstressEnlil: *As did at least one Banjo Kazooie game*
BrainWalkr: This is what happens when I am distracted by the real world : (
BrainWalkr: I forget things
SongstressEnlil: * =]*
SongstressEnlil: *I am certain there were bees in Super Ghouls and Ghosts.*
BrainWalkr: Well, when you have the bronze armor and you run across a magician, he turns you into a bee.
SongstressEnlil: *And there were Beezos in SMB2, but they may fall more under the heading of Shyguy*
BrainWalkr: Anyway, I'm not sure that either count because you don't get to use either offensive... well, no, you could pluck a beezo out of the air and fling it at someone else.
SongstressEnlil: *I think Mog could dance up a swarm of bees*
BrainWalkr: Really? That's actually not one that I remember.
BrainWalkr: But then I didn't actually use Mog much. Too unreliable.
BrainWalkr: Too not-Cyan.
SongstressEnlil: *Maybe I am thinking of FFV geomancers*
BrainWalkr: Entirely possible.
SongstressEnlil: *I liked Mog, he could heal through wall rings*
BrainWalkr: I used him more in subsequent playthroughs when I was concerned less with not dying and being able to progress.
SongstressEnlil: *::Nods::*

For clarification, while they may certainly be bees, I'm not entirely sure that random encounters really uphold the true spirit of this endeavor. We're looking at more active bee roles; that is, bees you can actually control. Mojo King Bee counts because you can pick him in multiplayer, and because he's fucking badass enough to be counted even without that. Blast Hornet from Mega Man X3 (and technically also Hornet Man from MM9) is technically not a bee, but he's close enough, as are the totally sweet seeker drones you get for beating him. I'm also going to allow beezos simply because it's so satisfying to grab them out of the air and then sling them at other foes; particularly other beezos.

Could use clarification on Mog's dancing and/or FF5's geomancy.
Anime is kind of like fish in that it is better the less "fishy" it is.

Return to Kotoki's Bar and Inn