The internet and you.

Mmm, spam. Light discussion and silliness!

Moderators: BrainWalker, FlamingDeth, PriamNevhausten

Justice Augustus
Administrator

The internet and you.

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:04 pm

So recently my fellow students and I have yet again been given the standard series of lectures on how to find jobs. How to be presentable, how to be friendly, why not to get drunk at receptions, why punctuality is important, and so on. But a point that keeps sticking out for me is the possibility (and in today's society, probability) that employers (or rather, human resource departments of employers) will try to find out what you've been up to online.

Now I don't think they're exactly going to be prying into private investigator territory, but it is fairly common for prospective employers to do a quick online search for your name, and to check the common social networking sites as well. Now I'm not connected to anything terrible and social unaccepted (such as some of the more disturbing perversions that seem to thrive online), but its quite easy for people to be able to trace me to two places that might raise questions: my old livejournal, and here.

The livejournal I think i can just edit out all my personal info so that it no longer turns up on google. But I'm not sure I want to do the same here. First of all, I'm in no way whatsoever ashamed of this forum or consider it something that I am not comfortable talking about. Unfortunately, I cannot guarantee that employers feel the same way, especially if they see my posts and that I post under the name "Suicidal Sprite," which I'm sure will raise some alarm bells. The result is, I have no idea what to do. I don't want to edit years-old posts just because they have my name in it, but at the same time I don't want to be barred from a potential job just because of my activity here.

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you had ever felt like your online life was reaching out and interfering with your offline life.

Archmage
REAL DOCTOR. FROM AMERICA.

Unread postby Archmage » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:25 am

How many, if any, posts on this forum have your full name or other identifying information?

And a brief google search of your name turns up absolutely no hits for this site as far as I can tell.

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:30 am

Only 3. They're old, but they're there.

viewtopic.php?p=20302

viewtopic.php?p=21980

viewtopic.php?t=2028

Tempted to just go through and remove those references, but I'm still debating whether such action is worth it.

Seethe
In Despair

Unread postby Seethe » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:05 am

I'm lucky, I guess. Searching my name is entirely pointless. Employers will learn that I am either a 1930's detective, a Canadian politician, a Catholic priest, or an Ohio State football player.

Archmage

Unread postby Archmage » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:51 am

It seems pretty improbable that it would come up, but if you want to edit a few really, really old posts nobody's going to object.

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:49 am

Yeah, so I went and took out my name or just my surname in a few of them. Sorry if it bumps them up in any way.

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:39 pm

This feels silly.

No offense to you guys, but I think it is...

Then again, it's probably going to bite me in the arse when my future employers find me on the Guest List of Akane's Anime RPG Shrine or my post here on RPGWW about Resident Evil 4...

Wait... hold on... My DevArt pages link up here... *goes to edit away some old crappy drawings*

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:53 pm

It's amazing how little regard for the difference between professional and personal life there is lately in the American business sector. Well, I guess it's a longstanding lack of respect, but still, it's a big WTF thing. More and more places I've been and worked, they tell me that wherever I go, even if I'm not on the clock or on official business, I'm considered a representative of their organization. Which is their way of saying, "even though you're to act as though on the clock, you're not actually on the clock and we're not going to pay you for this time that we're dictating your actions." What the hell.

So, I feel your pain, and in the quasi-likely scenario that this principle will bite me in the ass in the future, you'd better believe there will be lawsuit action. YOU HEAR THAT MY FUTURE EMPLOYERS? GET YOUR LAWYERS READY!
"You haven't told me what I'm looking for."
"Anything that might be of interest to Slitscan. Which is to say, anything that might be of interest to Slitscan's audience. Which is best visualized as a vicious, lazy, profoundly ignorant, perpetually hungry organism craving the warm god-flesh of the anointed. Personally I like to imagine something the size of a baby hippo, the color of a week-old boiled potato, that lives by itself, in the dark, in a double-wide on the outskirts of Topeka. It's covered with eyes and it sweats constantly. The sweat runs into those eyes and makes them sting. It has no mouth, Laney, no genitals, and can only express its mute extremes of murderous rage and infantile desire by changing the channels on a universal remote. Or by voting in presidential elections."
--Colin Laney and Kathy Torrance, William Gibson's Idoru

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:42 pm

It almost makes me feel the same way that the idea of a "permanent record" does. Can you really hold 30-year-olds responsible for actions they committed when 15? Does your history come with you to your new job, like a shadow of past regrets?

Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Unread postby Spleen » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:51 pm

I don't use my real last name on the internets. The only people who know my real last name on here know it through the RPGWW group on Facebook, and my Facebook is pretty tame.
"Tell you what, Leto, I won't fight with you. Zeus' wives are pretty tough customers. You have my permission to boast openly that you have beaten the daylights out of me."
-Hermes, the Iliad (Stanley Lombardo, translator) Book 21

Archmage

Unread postby Archmage » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:12 am

Suicidal Sprite wrote:It almost makes me feel the same way that the idea of a "permanent record" does.

I dunno about the UK, but there's no such thing as a permanent record in the USA. Your juvenile records are sealed when you turn 18, and AFAIK they're basically inaccessible; you're not actually accountable for anything you did before then, so crimes you committed before you turned 18 can't be somehow used against you after you're 18 unless you're tried and sentenced as an adult and wind up getting penalized for a duration that goes past your 18th birthday.

Of course, IANAL, so take this as you will. You do have long-standing criminal records, but there's a clear line between juvenile and adult records, and the former basically no longer matter after you're an adult. So if you're going to break the law in minor ways that aren't likely to land you in jail, do it before you turn 18! :D

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:51 pm

Archmage wrote:Of course, IANAL, so take this as you will.
I am amused and yet unsurprised that there is an acronym for "I am not a lawyer."

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:42 pm

There's an RPGWW group on Facebook? Goddamn, everyone really is on Facebook.
Anime is kind of like fish in that it is better the less "fishy" it is.

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:17 pm

Hah, changed name. That actually makes me feel a lot better. The old name was a reference to a stupid joke about 10 years ago, and I've regretted choosing it for a long time. Hopefully this one is clear enough in identifying me still.

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:36 pm

zomg wtf hapend to SS? :((((((((

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:27 pm

Don't worry, he's still forever captured in yalogank and the wiki.

Well, in yalogank at least.

glu-glu
wears confusing avatars.

Unread postby glu-glu » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:55 pm

Thankfully, i found out that apparently there is more people sharing my name that i could even imagine. All of them get priority over me on the net.
sig pending...

Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Unread postby Spleen » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:44 am

Evidently there's a doctor out there with my last name and whose middle name is my first name.
"Tell you what, Leto, I won't fight with you. Zeus' wives are pretty tough customers. You have my permission to boast openly that you have beaten the daylights out of me."
-Hermes, the Iliad (Stanley Lombardo, translator) Book 21

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:42 pm

There is a man in Ohio who has my first name, last name, and middle initial, who is on the list of registered sex offenders in that state. The only thing I have going for me if I move there is they have his picture on record. x_x

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:43 pm

A person with my name was born in Quebec in 1856.

Return to Kotoki's Bar and Inn