Your RPGWW Legacy

Mmm, spam. Light discussion and silliness!

Moderators: BrainWalker, FlamingDeth, PriamNevhausten

Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin

Your RPGWW Legacy

Unread postby Molokidan » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:06 am

I had a really weird dream last night. Not only because it was about RPGWW (especially since I'm not even that active on here these days) but because it was about me making a thread on RPGWW. Yes, I am NOT kidding! So I'm going to make the thread I made in my dream. It was kind of weird, because I half remember it being like a bunch of posts on the computer, but on the other hand it seemed like we were all talking to each other like in a room and a table and stuff. I don't know. Maybe I was seeing a vision of the future. We weren't, like, old people or anything, though.

Anyway, the thread was about all the achievements/important life changes that have happened to us since we joined RPGWW. I know for one that I have changed a GREAT amount since I first joined RPGWW, but this forum has always been here, and while it's gone under a few small changes here and there, and the forumgoers have changed a bit, the activity has risen and fallen...it's still always been here, something solid in this ever-changing world to fall back on.

So that's why I'm inviting you, if you're so inclined, to take a trip back in time with me and just list some of the things that pop into your head that have happened to you since you joined RPGWW, and take a moment to visualize the scope of your life in relation to your relationship with RPGWW life. Maybe if we all do this some great revelation will be had and the purpose of me having this dream will become clear!

I think I joined this forum initially in 2000. Or 2001. I'm not really sure, and I can't remember. But here's what I can think of off the top of my head. None of them are in any specific order.

* My parents divorced and then later got remarried.
* I got my hand sliced by a chainsaw but managed to escape only with a scar.
* I studied abroad for a year in Japan.
* I lost my virginity.
* I graduated high school.
* I went to community college, a university, and then finally ended up back in Japan.
* I had a brief stint as a reporter.
* I wrote some novels.
* I won a SF literature contest.
* I got published.
* I translated over 500 chapters of manga...for fun.
* My heart was broken many times. (And I broke a few too.)
* I worked as a clerk, arcade attendant, event manager, tutor, teacher, orientation leader, and bartender.
* I sold almost everything I owned and was left with a big bag of clothes and a laptop.
"Well slap a dead fish on me and call me Molokidan!"

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:00 am

* I went through an emotionally stressful period of my life and handled it completely wrong.

* I got my own place and started working part-time along with my studies.

* I relinquished contact with everyone online that I didn't know in real life. I still haven't picked up contact with 90% of the people I used to know. I can't honestly say it doesn't feel great.

* I participated in a television show about nerds learning to play hockey. Due to some mistakes I then spent a whole semester studying with only bare minimum to live on.

* I took up Japanese and, later, Shakuhachi. I still do both.

* I have tried, and failed, to change my life to the better. Still trying.

* I still haven't lost my virginity. This can be blamed entirely on my utter disinterest in doing so. At least up until a month or so ago.

...so, well, not much has happened to me yet. And I've been on this forum since I was around 12, too. Being 22 now.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:46 am

-=- I graduated high school. I entered college. I took some classes, including one that took me to Spain for a couple weeks. I dropped out of college.
-=- I met Mike. Several years later, we married. RPGWWers came to our marriage, it was cool.
-=- I was diagnosed bipolar. Years later I found a stabilizing medicine combination. Relatedly, I applied for and received government assistance. I later came off of government assistance.
-=- I picked up jewelery-making. Still doing it.
-=- I moved out and lived alone for a year in one truly shitty apartment complex.
-=- I moved to Georgia. A year later, I moved to Florida. 2 months later, I moved to Maryland. 3 months later, I moved to Georgia. About a year later, I moved to Maryland. I now hate moving.
-=- I attended a lot of RPGWWcons and get-togethers. Them's some damn good memories.

Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Unread postby Spleen » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:17 am

I've been on this forum since I was 12.

In that time, in no particular order, I've...

1. Gained puberty, lost virginity.
2. Started junior high, graduated junior high, started high school, graduated high school, started college.
3. Loved and lost. Loved again, lost again, loved again, lost again. Went back to trying to love that first girl after she got really hot but she doesn't want anything to do with me.
4. Got my own place with my three best friends.
5. Taught my best friend to roleplay.
6. Learned D&D, mastered D&D, became obsessed with D&D
7. Spent hundreds of hours reading books.
8. Worked as a camp counselor for the mentally disabled, a camp counselor for the wealthy, a dorm desk slave, and a guy at an ice cream shop.
9. Met four RPGWWers on purpose and one by accident.
10. Went through some personal problems related to my lack of motivation and recurring entertainment addiction.
"Tell you what, Leto, I won't fight with you. Zeus' wives are pretty tough customers. You have my permission to boast openly that you have beaten the daylights out of me."
-Hermes, the Iliad (Stanley Lombardo, translator) Book 21

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:04 pm

Spleen wrote:2. Started junior high, graduated junior high, started high school, graduated high school, started college.
Haha, wow.

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:05 pm

I started coming here after being led here by Jak and Kraken, and that would have been sometime in the middle of high school...

1) Came to America to live alone for the first time (summer camps), loved it
2) Graduated high school
3) Started university in North Carolina
4) Met a girl and started dating, beginning my first relationship to last more than two weeks
5) Lost my virginity
6) Dropped out of university following a minor psychotic breakdown.
7) Got my first real job at a video game store
8) Was allowed to return to university
9) Graduated university
10) Returned to England
11) Employed as video game tester
12) Returned to video game shop job in order to concentrate on law school applications
13) Got engaged
14) Got into law school
15) Worked two paralegal jobs
16) Was best man at my brother's wedding
17) Moved to DC to start law school

And that brings me up to date. It kinda surprises me that years of my life can be summarized so succinctly. And also how almost my entire romantic history has been with the same woman. It's four years now, which is a sixth of my entire life.

[Edit] - Forgot to say, awesome topic, Molo me mate!

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:46 am

I don't actually remember when I joined RPGWW, but it wasn't long after I became a regular at ADV! so I'll just start from there.

- Dropped out of college. Went to another college, also dropped out. Started working at colleges instead.
- Got out of a bad relationship that I didn't realize was abnormally bad. Got into a great relationship which I have understood from the start is abnormally good.
- Had a string of economic crises. Government did not bail me out.
- Made my own spiritual paradigm. Quit it because it was stupid.
- Worked as a cashier for four years at the same place, got totally awesome at it. Became a freelance captionist, basically started totally awesome at it. Quit cashier job, got employed as a captionist rather than just doing freelance. Got promoted to Boss Captionist. Hired an RPGWWer.
- Moved out of college. Got kicked out of parents' house. Moved out of duplex. Obtained ownership of condo I currently live in (though not entirely by choice).
- Broke my wisdom teeth. Left 'em broke for two or three years. Got 'em removed within a week of them actually starting to hurt.
- Got good at Guilty Gear XX and its derivatives. Learned Baiken combos and strategy, was able to take down best player in Dayton with some regularity. Went to tournament in Columbus. Got totally owned.
- Moved in with two RPGWWers. Every month sees at least two minor RPGWW-con-like gatherings.
"You haven't told me what I'm looking for."
"Anything that might be of interest to Slitscan. Which is to say, anything that might be of interest to Slitscan's audience. Which is best visualized as a vicious, lazy, profoundly ignorant, perpetually hungry organism craving the warm god-flesh of the anointed. Personally I like to imagine something the size of a baby hippo, the color of a week-old boiled potato, that lives by itself, in the dark, in a double-wide on the outskirts of Topeka. It's covered with eyes and it sweats constantly. The sweat runs into those eyes and makes them sting. It has no mouth, Laney, no genitals, and can only express its mute extremes of murderous rage and infantile desire by changing the channels on a universal remote. Or by voting in presidential elections."
--Colin Laney and Kathy Torrance, William Gibson's Idoru

Ark
Cho wants to kill with cute

Unread postby Ark » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:41 pm

I was in my second year of university I believe so I'll try to remember stuff from then.

* Graduated from University
* Got a job at Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (or SCEE to the rest of the world)
* Lived in an apartment for 6 months
* Got my own house
* Went through two years of hassle over them thinking I was the land lord of said apartment and them trying to make me pay all the bills and me trying to explain why I never was a land lord
* Ma and Pa got Poppet, my little dog sister
* Uncle died of cancer
* Had a complete mental breakdown and stabbed ***** to pieces.
* Got over it and started enjoying stuff again
* Ma and Pa decided to buy a bungalow, moving out soon
* Sister got a job as a teacher

I haven't done much really. Or at least I can't remember doing much, which is more of the case. So I've probably done lots and lots but couldn't tell you what it was.
[img]http://www.fantasydragon.net/choark/Signature.jpg[/img]
Some detectives just have The Touch

Archmage
REAL DOCTOR. FROM AMERICA.

Unread postby Archmage » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:14 am

Joined RPGWW back on the Keen boards, roughly September '01.

<ul>
<li>GMed my first RP, Rise of the Guild, in fall '01; previously I had only GMed a few times tabletop using a homebrew cyberpunk system with heavy Shadowrun influences.
<li>Got my driver's license around the beginning of summer '03.
<li>Worked in a factory and at a Bob Evans restaurant.
<li>Dated two RPGWWers, one for almost two years.
<li>Met a huge number of RPGWWers, more or less in the following order with possible transpositions: Dia, Nekogami, SNgami Sean, Priam, Brainwalker, Pervy, Reako, Koss, Kate, Jak, Choark, Shan, Rube, Waldorf_Nikki, Besyanteo, FFFDave, Shaun, Tai, Smartz, Trom, Squintz, WillPhil, Flamingdeth, Daien, Gus, Kelne, Shini, Neb, Nama, Idran, Xaq, DWSage, EKP...what the hell, that's a lot of people.
<li>Became significantly intoxicated for the first time.
<li>Graduated HS, accepted to three of five colleges on my wishlist, started attending Butler University in fall '04.
<li>Completed four years of university, now in 5th of 6 years of pharmacy school.
<li>Met another girl at college within about a week. Taught her to RP, now she's obsessed. Inadvertently got her to join RPGWW. Irony.
<li>Started GMing for RL friends for the first time in fall '04.
<li>Got my first job that actually had something to do with what I want to do with my life (pharmacy) in May '05.
<li>Functionally moved out of my parents' house in summer '07 when I made the decision to stay in Indy instead of going home (but still recieving some financial assistance from them).
<li>Finally sought treatment for anxiety disorder in late summer/early fall '07.
<li>Started blogging about professional concerns and to share personal anecdotes.
<li>Became an atheist and dedicated myself to rationality and skepticism.
<li>Witnessed my younger brother's graduation from HS and subsequent acceptance to nursing school.
<li>Became politically active for the first time ever.
<li>Celebrated 4th year anniversary with Kai (and 4th year cohabitating, no less).
</ul>

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:56 am

PriamNevhausten wrote:- Had a string of economic crises. Government did not bail me out.
I see what you did there.

I think of it less as "bailed me out" and more as "saved my life." But then, I tend toward thinking that very bad things would have happened if I'd stopped taking medicine because I couldn't afford it! Not that I don't respect folks who fight out money issues on their own. It's pretty impressive to me, and something I don't forsee being able to do myself anytime soon. I've had different battles to focus on.

Archmage
REAL DOCTOR. FROM AMERICA.

Unread postby Archmage » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:24 pm

pd Rydia wrote:I see what you did there.

Uh, I think he was making a joke about the recent Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac "bailout scandal."

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:37 pm

Archmage wrote:Uh, I think he was making a joke about the recent Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac "bailout scandal."
Well shit, my mistake then.

Return to Kotoki's Bar and Inn