Get equipped with... Licensed Beverage!

Mmm, spam. Light discussion and silliness!

Moderators: BrainWalker, FlamingDeth, PriamNevhausten

BrainWalker
✔+

Get equipped with... Licensed Beverage!

Unread postby BrainWalker » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:18 am

So you know what's awesome?

Potable real-world Mega-Man E-tanks. That's what's awesome.
Anime is kind of like fish in that it is better the less "fishy" it is.

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:27 am

So, I will go to great lengths to acquire at least two of these. One will never get opened.
"You haven't told me what I'm looking for."
"Anything that might be of interest to Slitscan. Which is to say, anything that might be of interest to Slitscan's audience. Which is best visualized as a vicious, lazy, profoundly ignorant, perpetually hungry organism craving the warm god-flesh of the anointed. Personally I like to imagine something the size of a baby hippo, the color of a week-old boiled potato, that lives by itself, in the dark, in a double-wide on the outskirts of Topeka. It's covered with eyes and it sweats constantly. The sweat runs into those eyes and makes them sting. It has no mouth, Laney, no genitals, and can only express its mute extremes of murderous rage and infantile desire by changing the channels on a universal remote. Or by voting in presidential elections."
--Colin Laney and Kathy Torrance, William Gibson's Idoru

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:29 am

Witness true heroism in action.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:42 pm

Yeah, so Mega Man 9 is getting intentional glitches. Fortunately, you can turn the flicker off.

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:52 pm

Interlacing is an important part of videogame history, Dia, and if you turn it off you're practically a monster.

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:15 pm

Yeah, I remember Mega Man 2, Metalman's Stage. You know, with the meat-grinder like things dropping down?

Flickering like hell, very nostalgic.

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:35 pm

This is the last thing we need during an energy crisis.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:04 pm

Capntastic wrote:Interlacing is an important part of videogame history, Dia, and if you turn it off you're practically a monster.
I'm cool with that.

Actually, the more I hear about it, the more I'm convinced I won't be buying MM9. It sounds like they're trying to imitate the bad design elements of Nintendo Hard [lunk] that I'd rather be left in fan hacks.

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:15 pm

But the original Megaman games for NES were fairly easy, if my memory holds true.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:51 pm

I wouldn't know, I've only played one of the games, and not very far, at that. I have heard from various sources that the games were super-easy or super-hard, depending on who's speaking and the tint of their lenses.

It's hard to take people seriously about it, either way, given that on the internet, the NES era was the good ol' days of gaming, the time when games focused on story instead of graphics, and the industry cared about customers more than profit.

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:20 pm

To be quite honest, Megaman 3 was essentially the Halo 3 of its era.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:35 pm

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:10 pm

Megaman 8: Playstation game, high sprite counts, pretty good sound, full range of sound waveforms, no slowdown
Megaman 9: Wii game, sprite limits (howsoever bypassable), outdated music, fake difficulty?

Not really excited about the game, here.
"Anything that might be of interest to Slitscan. Which is to say, anything that might be of interest to Slitscan's audience. Which is best visualized as a vicious, lazy, profoundly ignorant, perpetually hungry organism craving the warm god-flesh of the anointed. Personally I like to imagine something the size of a baby hippo, the color of a week-old boiled potato, that lives by itself, in the dark, in a double-wide on the outskirts of Topeka. It's covered with eyes and it sweats constantly. The sweat runs into those eyes and makes them sting. It has no mouth, Laney, no genitals, and can only express its mute extremes of murderous rage and infantile desire by changing the channels on a universal remote. Or by voting in presidential elections."

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:57 pm

PriamNevhausten wrote:Megaman 9: Wii game, sprite limits (howsoever bypassable), outdated music, fake difficulty?
It's retro! :ghost:

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:20 pm

I'll likely buy it because MegaMan was an important part of my development as a gamer and because it amuses me that they're going totally overboard in their commitment to the old school. Also because, last I heard, it'll be reasonably priced.

I'll reserve judgment for when the game is actually released, though. They say they're going to make it super-hard, but it's difficult to know what that means by today's standards. "Super-hard" may just mean it'll be like the original MegaMan, which was pretty challenging, but not impossible. At least until you get to the Yellow Demon.

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:56 pm

Difficulty in modern games stems from entirely different mechanics than older games.

Example: In Megaman, you have trouble jumping between platforms because they appear and vanish in a set pattern that takes a moment to memorize. A bird may or may not lay an egg which turns into smaller birds to make this process more difficult.

In a more modern 3D game, you have trouble jumping across a small divot because of camera issues. Likewise, clipping and/or sidekick AI shoving you into the divot.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:46 am

Am I the only one who never got into Megaman when he was young? For me it's been "that thing which spawned a load of terrible sprite comics, just like Sonic did."

The game looks like it'll be good fun, but it comes off as being retro for the sake of being retro. It's like they're trying to capture the nostalgia of an entire generation of gamers and get them to fork out cash monies to recapture the moment. That said, the intro did make me smile with it's hammy nature.

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:36 am

Well yes, but I don't know that you can blame them: They keep making money off of basically the same thing using the Wii VC, don't they? Now they're just trying to make a bit more in one go.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:38 am

BrainWalker wrote:I'll likely buy it because MegaMan was an important part of my development as a gamer and because it amuses me that they're going totally overboard in their commitment to the old school.
Yeah, I can't complain that they're skimping. Have you seen the t-shirts? They're pretty awesome.

BrainWalker wrote:They say they're going to make it super-hard, but it's difficult to know what that means by today's standards. "Super-hard" may just mean it'll be like the original MegaMan, which was pretty challenging, but not impossible.
Or they could just mean that it's 'super-hard, unlike those games you whippersnappers play today'. =/

Jak Snide wrote:The game looks like it'll be good fun, but it comes off as being retro for the sake of being retro. It's like they're trying to capture the nostalgia of an entire generation of gamers and get them to fork out cash monies to recapture the moment.
I don't think the game is retro for the sake of retro, so much as retro for the sake of [1] capturing that nostalgia of an entire generation of gamers (especially the ones dissatisfied and bitter with today's games and game market!) and turning it into money, and [2] the shits and giggles of the dev team, who really do seem to be having fun.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:27 pm

PriamNevhausten wrote:Megaman 8: Playstation game, high sprite counts, pretty good sound, full range of sound waveforms, no slowdown
Megaman 9: Wii game, sprite limits (howsoever bypassable), outdated music, fake difficulty?

Not really excited about the game, here.

I know what you meant, but hearing it described as "full range of sound waveforms" is pretty funny.

"The Playstation has square and triangle waves, guys! And it even has sine waves!"

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:31 pm

Sine waves have been pretty neglected in recent years. It's all about the cosine.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:02 pm

I'm still waiting for tangents. Asymptotic sound amplitudes is the only way to go.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:33 pm

Elitist.

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:40 pm

You think you can truly exist without the glorious NOISE wave? It's the only way to emulate drums.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:56 pm

My pots and spoons say otherwise!

Reako Somner
Always sleepy, never asleep

Unread postby Reako Somner » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:31 am

I'll probably be getting Megaman 9 simply because that's what it is. I'm a sucker like that. BW knows how I am with Megaman games.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:53 am

Reako: You may be pleased to know that a Castlevania game in MM9 vein may be in the works.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:37 pm

Okay, this is cool
Mega Man 9 Press Kit

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:38 pm

That's pretty awesome.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:48 am

[url=http://www.wiiware-world.com/news/2008/10/mega_man_9_press_kit_fetches_usd750_on_ebay]$750 awesome, to some people.

$50 awesome, to others.[/url]

Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Unread postby Spleen » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:19 pm

So I bought MM9 for the Wii so my roommate could beat it.

And he did!

We all enjoyed watching him. We find the retro elements refreshing but not distracting. And we "left the 80s on", so we were playing it with the full flicker and stuff (which doesn't come into play enough to detract from gameplay; really, I think I only saw it when bosses were exploding). The level design was great, the music was fantastic if you like video game music, and it was balls-hard until you memorized everything (which is why my roommate was playing, and not me). All in all, we were pleased. Very pleased. Maybe we're weird.
"Tell you what, Leto, I won't fight with you. Zeus' wives are pretty tough customers. You have my permission to boast openly that you have beaten the daylights out of me."
-Hermes, the Iliad (Stanley Lombardo, translator) Book 21

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:53 pm

Surprising no one, it's doing crazy well in sales.

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:39 pm

That's because it's awesome. It's not just retro for retro's sake, it's actually a well-made game. Heck, our own resident Devil's advocate, Priam, has enjoyed it immensely, even after initially being decidedly underwhelmed by the concept.

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:28 am

Indeed. But, I'm a sucker for subweapons that are, like, usable in a general sense. This is why I play Zero almost exclusively in the PSX Megaman X games; his moves (Rakuhouha notwithstanding) don't cost anything, and are immediately accessible at all times.

Why in the name of fuck did they decide to put the Menu function on the Back key rather than the Start key on the 360 version, though? Who thought that was a good idea? Who even thought that idea at all? What is wrong with them? When do we get to throw rotten tomatoes at them in the town square? And randomly punch and kick them?

Return to Kotoki's Bar and Inn