Physics is fun and messy

Mmm, spam. Light discussion and silliness!

Moderators: BrainWalker, FlamingDeth, PriamNevhausten

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Physics is fun and messy

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:54 pm

http://fantasticcontraption.com/

Rather addictive. The true beauty of this thing is in that you can save your widgets and paste links to 'em to spread the awesome. The secondary true beauty of the thing is once you have cleared a level, you can use the stage select option to look at others' solutions! THE POSSIBILITIES ARE LIMITED ONLY BY YOUR PROCESSOR POWER
"You haven't told me what I'm looking for."
"Anything that might be of interest to Slitscan. Which is to say, anything that might be of interest to Slitscan's audience. Which is best visualized as a vicious, lazy, profoundly ignorant, perpetually hungry organism craving the warm god-flesh of the anointed. Personally I like to imagine something the size of a baby hippo, the color of a week-old boiled potato, that lives by itself, in the dark, in a double-wide on the outskirts of Topeka. It's covered with eyes and it sweats constantly. The sweat runs into those eyes and makes them sting. It has no mouth, Laney, no genitals, and can only express its mute extremes of murderous rage and infantile desire by changing the channels on a universal remote. Or by voting in presidential elections."
--Colin Laney and Kathy Torrance, William Gibson's Idoru

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:28 pm

This is some really awesome shit. There seems to be sort of a mini-boom for games like this. That is, games that are less about achieving the goal and more about having an intuitive set of tools and a physics playground to frolick in. Phun and Crayon Physics come to mind, although I know I've seen a couple others of that ilk.

Does "Tower of Goo" count?
Anime is kind of like fish in that it is better the less "fishy" it is.

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:11 pm

Good lord this game is addictive.

Here's a thread on the Straight Dope forums filled with all kinds of mad genius brought to life in this game.
Anime is kind of like fish in that it is better the less "fishy" it is.

Reako Somner
Always sleepy, never asleep

Unread postby Reako Somner » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:34 am

I was about to go to sleep when I was shown this.

Eh, not like shirking sleep is rare for me. I'm gonna give this a whirl. The worst that could happen is that I wake up late for... World of Warcraft? Yeah, that's about the worst that could happen.

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:55 pm

glu-glu
wears confusing avatars.

Unread postby glu-glu » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:55 pm

That link made me realize i had been playing the game in the wrong way all this time D:
sig pending...

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:46 pm

Heh. Well, I didn't think to make machines rather than different weird car type things up until I started looking at contraptions other players had built. Anyway, my solution is actually sort of an inefficient one. It still works, and that's great and such.

Then again, there's a way to beat this puzzle with three parts. Two of them are sticks.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:49 pm

On that note, Shini needs to get in here to show people his catapult. >:

Return to Kotoki's Bar and Inn