The Hatred

Mmm, spam. Light discussion and silliness!

Moderators: BrainWalker, FlamingDeth, PriamNevhausten

Christian
Dead Stompy

The Hatred

Unread postby Christian » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:18 pm

Oh God I hate the country.

I forgot pretty quickly when I moved into the city, but it's all coming back to me. The bugs. The BUGS! I hate insects! I absolutely HATE insects! All of them! Flies, mosquitoes, those weird little things that fly into your face whenever you take a step forward, moths who love nothing better than to sit motionless on a wall until you turn off the light and go to bed, then they assault your ears and eyes in the darkness!

I've been here for four days with naught but four dogs keeping me company. I'm not very fond of dogs either. Not at all. You'd think I'd grown to like them after living for fifteen years with at least two, at most nine of them. I don't. I will never, ever like dogs.

Sorry for the bitching. I just... really... really need to get this out of my system. I'm severely entomophobic, and it's only grown stronger when I've lived in a nearly bug-free home for 3 years. Now I'm on a farm in the middle of nowhere with very little to do and insects around me 24/7.

I really, really don't like this place.

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:53 pm

No, I don't want to buy any of your sandwiches, thank you.

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:11 am

Awr, c'mon! :{

I made them just for you!

glu-glu
wears confusing avatars.

Unread postby glu-glu » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:13 pm

uhm...isn't it spelled without the "r"?
You sound all anti-patriotic...
sig pending...

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:06 pm

:eng101: Country has a couple different definitions. It can mean el país (a nation/country, ex. the EEUU, Mexico) and it can also mean el campo (a rural area, not the town/suburbs).

If someone is talking about "the country," they probably mean the latter (campo). Nations are generally referred to by name, or as "a country," "this country," "my country," "his country"--all sorts of things, but not "the country." Remembering this isn't really necessary--context will usually make things clear. People generally won't say "I hate the country in this country," (-No me gusta el campo de este pais-) unless they are being a big fat jerk.

BTW, county is also a word, also having to do with land. In the U.S.A., it is a division of land smaller than a state but larger than a city. Depending on the state, the county may have very few or very many responsibilities. Wikipedia has an article about counties of different countries. [link]

(Discúlpame el español malo, que estabas encita, estoy estadounidense! :ghost: )

glu-glu
wears confusing avatars.

Unread postby glu-glu » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:13 pm

D:

I need to study more!

I always assumed Country was for nation and County was for the rural kind areas, im full of shame right now!

Thank you Miss Dia! now i know and Knowing is...something i forget.

Also you got your spanish working pretty well...except on the last sentence, i kinda can't tell what you mean by the mid part.

Edit: oh wait, you mean, quoted?
sig pending...

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:31 am

This one time I took a couple of friends up to my parents' little shack up in the mountains of Kentucky for a sort of weekend getaway. We brought some games and were even going to go hiking and shit. But it was midsummer, and the ladybugs were all up ins. Seriously, it was like a fucking convention in there. Dave and I were like "Damn!" but ultimately remained largely unaffected. But Derek... shit, man. I ain't never seen a man so distressed by hemispherical insects. Love him like a brother, but dude was screaming like a little girl. Literally. Dave and I armed ourselves with vacuum cleaners, but it was difficult to stem the tide. It was late, though, and after 6 hours on the road, we were tired. Ultimately, only Dave and I got sleep that night. We ended up leaving second thing in the morning after Derek got all bitchy about us playing some Soul Calibur instead of heading out immediately. The first two hours of the drive home were really uncomfortable, but fortunately Weird Al has a way of flippin' frowns out on their ass.

That's my story.

Hey, what's the grammatical rule for when you have a quote mid-sentence that ends with some manner of punctuation? Do you just do you just keep going with your sentence, or put a comma after the quotes for a change, or what?
Anime is kind of like fish in that it is better the less "fishy" it is.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:54 am

glu-glu wrote:Also you got your spanish working pretty well...except on the last sentence, i kinda can't tell what you mean by the mid part.
Nuts! I was trying to make a joke off your old signature from back in the day (it was something like: "Sorry for the bad English, I'm Mexican what do you expect?"). I was having trouble with the "what were you expecting" part, I should have just let it go.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:46 pm

BrainWalker wrote:Hey, what's the grammatical rule for when you have a quote mid-sentence that ends with some manner of punctuation? Do you just do you just keep going with your sentence, or put a comma after the quotes for a change, or what?

If it's a period, replace it with a comma, otherwise keep going. Comma always goes inside the quotes unless you're using the British style, in which case it depends on if the comma is actually part of the quote or not for any sort of usage, this type or otherwise.

Which makes a lot more sense, really.

Return to Kotoki's Bar and Inn