On the Rain-Slick Precipice of 5 hours!

Mmm, spam. Light discussion and silliness!

Moderators: BrainWalker, FlamingDeth, PriamNevhausten

Christian
Dead Stompy

On the Rain-Slick Precipice of 5 hours!

Unread postby Christian » Thu May 22, 2008 10:35 am

Yes, I got the game, Yes I finished it. YES it was a rewarding and interesting game and just about as long as it ought to have been.

I'm talking, of course, about On The Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness, the Penny Arcade Game that got released yesterday... or so...

Anyway, I still haven't gotten all the hidden things, and I'm not sure I'm entirely interested in doing that either (clicking every little object in the entire game for the odd chance of finding one piece of concept art isn't that attractive), but I'm definitely getting the next three parts of this.

And Character Editor COULD perhaps have been a little freer with colours; I'd say the same about clothing, features, and such, but considering the Movies in the game, I'm really not complaining.

So yeah, any one else who've played it?

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Thu May 22, 2008 11:10 am

Played the demo, enjoyed a fair bit. $20 for 5 hours, though? No way.

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Thu May 22, 2008 12:30 pm

Jak speaks goddamned heresy, and needs to play Portal again. And again.
"You haven't told me what I'm looking for."
"Anything that might be of interest to Slitscan. Which is to say, anything that might be of interest to Slitscan's audience. Which is best visualized as a vicious, lazy, profoundly ignorant, perpetually hungry organism craving the warm god-flesh of the anointed. Personally I like to imagine something the size of a baby hippo, the color of a week-old boiled potato, that lives by itself, in the dark, in a double-wide on the outskirts of Topeka. It's covered with eyes and it sweats constantly. The sweat runs into those eyes and makes them sting. It has no mouth, Laney, no genitals, and can only express its mute extremes of murderous rage and infantile desire by changing the channels on a universal remote. Or by voting in presidential elections."
--Colin Laney and Kathy Torrance, William Gibson's Idoru

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Thu May 22, 2008 2:44 pm

I really don't see any problem with putting down 20 dollars for a game I liked. Honestly, considering all the games I've spent more on, and that has only brought me disappointment (Godfather, Kingdom Hearts 2, to say a few...), I found this a VERY worthwhile investment.

Also, just to add some kind of (false) moral thing in my defense, I really like it when underdog companies, or indie, or whatever, make something like this. A'course, I got it mainly 'cause of PA, which I'm a fan of, but I wasn't disappointed. I share many of the same tastes in games as Holkins, so I got my share of RPG and Point and Click.

Ark
Cho wants to kill with cute

Unread postby Ark » Thu May 22, 2008 4:40 pm

Hey! I got this game too! I even posted about it in my LJ.
Haven't finished it yet though, but its been a damn laugh so far. Waiting to get back home from work and kick around in it some more.

The whole game is like a mix of Monkey Island, a JRPG, Shadow hearts (which is a JRPG...eh) and D&D's. Tis awesome.

The fighting system is pretty fun. You have three timed buttons (or wheels as I call them for some unknown reason). The first one will fill up, which will be your items wheel, then once thats filled the next one will fill up, which will be ya normal attack wheel, and after that the final one will fill, which is ya special attack wheel. If you use the any of the wheels you have to build up each wheel again in turn. So you don't have to wait as long for using items, but waiting for special attacks can be a pain, especially when made slow.

I don't mind paying £10 for 5-6 hours of fun. I pay £12 for a DVD and only get 1 hour and a half to 2 hours. The mood of the game is great and the narrator is fantastic.
[img]http://www.fantasydragon.net/choark/Signature.jpg[/img]
Some detectives just have The Touch

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Thu May 22, 2008 4:41 pm

I was even going to take you windsurfing, weather permit.

That is all I have to say.

Jak Snide

+1 point to Priam for use of heresy.

Unread postby Jak Snide » Thu May 22, 2008 4:54 pm

PriamNevhausten wrote:Jak speaks goddamned heresy, and needs to play Portal again. And again.

Surely you're not comparing Portal to what's essentially a very short, oldschool JRPG with a crapload of PA brand charisma. Both are good, yes, but you will feel drawn to play Portal, as you say, again and again. And then there's the Advanced chambers, various trials, community content etc.

Not saying that OTR-SPOD is bad, far from it. I just feel that I should be getting more than 4 hours of gaming for that price. Especially if it's not a complete work in itself.

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Thu May 22, 2008 5:34 pm

I understand your point, Jak; I find it hard to believe there's any replay value in Penny Arcade; But I guess it boils down to what you're willing to lay your money on.

As Cho noted, this is less than or about the same price as DVDs and CDs; I really don't mind putting $20 into something that amuses me for 5 hours.

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Thu May 22, 2008 6:18 pm

Hey, I'm just saying don't discount a game simply because it's short. Which you did in the initial post, but you have since corrected.

You are forgiven, my son. Now clean the baptismal font.
"You haven't told me what I'm looking for."
"Anything that might be of interest to Slitscan. Which is to say, anything that might be of interest to Slitscan's audience. Which is best visualized as a vicious, lazy, profoundly ignorant, perpetually hungry organism craving the warm god-flesh of the anointed. Personally I like to imagine something the size of a baby hippo, the color of a week-old boiled potato, that lives by itself, in the dark, in a double-wide on the outskirts of Topeka. It's covered with eyes and it sweats constantly. The sweat runs into those eyes and makes them sting. It has no mouth, Laney, no genitals, and can only express its mute extremes of murderous rage and infantile desire by changing the channels on a universal remote. Or by voting in presidential elections."
--Colin Laney and Kathy Torrance, William Gibson's Idoru

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Fri May 23, 2008 9:29 am

Mike bought it, and I enjoyed watching it over his shoulder from the couch while I played Touch Detective 2 1/2. I think I'll probably play through it twice, maybe thrice--gotta try all the dialogue options. =0

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Mon May 26, 2008 2:05 pm

It's not perfect, but for a low-budget title, it is surprisingly engaging. The battle system keeps you on your toes despite being an RPG, which is awesome. The writing is a brash mixture of elegance, inelegance, (intentional) stupidity, and genius. As anyone who frequents Penny Arcade should come to expect. And witnessing the fruit fuckers' citrus molestation fully animated is something that I will never forget. That and the unsanitary legacy of Dr.Hobo.

Swear to God, though, someone needs to tell these people who design games for Xbox360 that not everybody has HD TVs, and therefore not everybody can read their goddamned microscopic text.

Special Bonus: This game may very well contain my favorite enemy encouter of any RPG I have ever played.
Anime is kind of like fish in that it is better the less "fishy" it is.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon May 26, 2008 4:33 pm

BrainWalker wrote:Swear to God, though, someone needs to tell these people who design games for Xbox360 that not everybody has HD TVs, and therefore not everybody can read their goddamned microscopic text.
Mommy says only bad people and dirty commies don't have HD TVs.

Ark
Cho wants to kill with cute

Unread postby Ark » Tue May 27, 2008 6:01 am

I'm going to talk about spoiler stuff because I gotta get this out of my system:

Spoiler:
Cthulu Mimes is perhaps one of my favorite things to have ever happened in the history of stuff happening. Of course mimes had to have happened and Lovecrafts stories had to have been written before hand otherwise it would have been an impossibillity but the fact they were so expertly weived together into something that is grander then the parts they came from.. Magnificent!

Spoiler:
The Dr.Hobo who urinates on everything made me laugh harder then I have in a fairly long time. Even his "..Kill the hobo's" remarks. Oh and pissing on the sin wheel.
The uber silent vampire mime first meeting also got a chuckle outta me. I tried almost every freaking option I could think of but his silences... next to Godliness.

So yeah, its been a while since I had so much fun while playing a game. Comedy really does help games man.
[img]http://www.fantasydragon.net/choark/Signature.jpg[/img]
Some detectives just have The Touch

Return to Kotoki's Bar and Inn