What Games are you playing?

Mmm, spam. Light discussion and silliness!

Moderators: BrainWalker, FlamingDeth, PriamNevhausten

Nekogami

What Games are you playing?

Unread postby Nekogami » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:43 am

I want to pick up an MMORPG again? Any suggestions?

Other than that....

DS:
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (I love it.)

Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations. (On Hold. I'm on the last mission and I don't want the wonderfulness to end! It's one of those games that won't have replay value for me.)

Pokemon Pearl. (Coworker is a big pokemon fan and we battle every Thursday over Fried Ravioli.)

PS2:
Final Fantasy 12 (I love it but I don't play it consistently because when I get home from work, I typically turn on CSI and my weekends are spent being lazy and unproductive.)

PC:
The Sims (...Shrug. It's good for wasting time."

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:53 am

MMOs? WoW is the only game I've played out of the recent mix and, while I'm sick of it now, I had alot of fun with it when I wasn't finding it to be a second job. As for other games:

360:
-Devil May Cry 4
-Rez HD
-Metal Slug 3

Wii:
-Ghost Squad

DS:
-PW: Trials and Tribulations (finished it a month or two, the last case is excellent.)

PC:
-Crysis (I should not enjoy shotgunning trees down and making them crush people this much)
-Counter-Strike (God damn you peer pressure :[ )
-Sword of the Stars (awesome 4X game)

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:54 pm

Lessee...

DS:
Tokimeki Memorial... Girl's side. <_< Yeah, well, I got it to improve my kanji and so far it's been working good... >w< And the voice of some of the characters are smexy

PC:
Team Fortress 2 : There's always time for brainless killing!
Planescape Torment : Aside from some resolution issues I just love this game to death, replaying games is replaying
StepMania - I need to exercise lest I turn into a blonde Gargamel (my back's all crooked), so I decided to start doing DDR regularly. So far I've become unable to properly walk up and down stairs, fitness yet to show. :/

EDIT: Oh, and while I do have a WoW and FFXI account, I just don't have much time for working these days. :(

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:26 pm

I don't play any MMORPGs, but WoW is still as alive and active as ever. I think it's getting a patch soon to add a new dungeon? I hear Blizzard is also working on a new MMORPG, but who knows when that'll get done.

DS/GBA SP (easily the game machines I use the most)
-- Picross is the game which currently has me by the...hair. I'm a sucker for puzzle games, especially ones which don't have timing involved as a significant element, like with...
-- March of the Minis, which is nonetheless a fun (and cute!) puzzle game. I never really play it for long, though. I'll get through a stage or three until my tolerance for timing runs down, then put the game down before I start playing it for the sake of playing it (instead of for fun).
-- In Yoshi's Island DS it took me a while to get used to the vertical screen layout, which honestly does not add to the game. However, it's a fun game, which is why I stuck with it long enough to get around that. It has a lot going for it--Yoshis, babies, adorable bosses and frustrating long stages. Also, baby Wario is the HAK PIE.*
-- Yesterday I finished blazing through Kirby and the Amazing Mirror (GBA). The multiple kirbies (controlled by AI) was a horrible idea, but they -were- a useful handicap in boss fights. The game itself had a delightfully expansive world that was terribly fun to explore in its entirety. I'm kinda let down I finished through it. :[

Wii
-- Battle Lode Runner (VC) cost me all of $6 to download and has been tons of fun, but I'm stuck on level 31. :{ Cursed ninja and their ninja trickery!
-- Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure is so great. :} It has golden monkeys that turn into bells that turn other critters into handy objects! This is a lot of fun, but I only play it from time to time because I prefer to curl up with my DS on the couch and play. In my mind, console games are social, requiring at least another person in the room, if not actively watching.
-- Elebits is a sweet story about a little boy who HATES elebits. D'awww! The "let's look at all of the items you've thrown around!" reminds me of Katamari, but the actual game itself is much less...WTFish. Kinda hide-and-seek-with-a-lightgun-esque. Honestly, I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Xbox 360 (least frequently used machine)
-- I started Portal a long time ago and haven't finished yet. It was fun when I started, but I don't have a lot of drive to finish it up. Maybe because I already know how it goes and have enjoyed a significant portion of the gameplay? I still intend to finish it, hence it's on "the list."
-- Guitar Hero II is a rare console game I'll play alone...mainly because I'm sure I suck at all music and rhythm games. :} I like it, it's easily the 360 game I play the most and has delayed my start on Mass Effect and Mario Galaxy. It's also a game I'll play for great lengths of time, and easily the console game I'll play the longest. It's entertaining.

*I previewed my post, but decided to keep in the filtered result. For hilarity.

glu-glu
wears confusing avatars.

Unread postby glu-glu » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:05 pm

DS (It's an emu, so no FC from me D:):
-Advance wars: Dual strike
I think it's better than Days of ruin, which brings me to...
-Advance wars: Days of ruin
It's pretty cool, but it lost the charm and cuteness, plus it runs a lil slow.
-Elite Beat agents
Breezin' completed, having some troubles on cruisin', i fucking cried at the christmas mission.
-Pokemon Diamond
Stuck on the snow town, actually, leveling up my pokemans.

PC
-Halo
-Warcraf 3: the frozen throne
-Starwars battle front
-Worms World Party
All part of our weekly lan parties.

GC
-Smash bros. Melee
-Star Fox Assault
-Naruto Clash of the ninja 2
Also part of our weekly 4 players chaos.

Arcade:
-Pump it up: Zero
DDR is just not enough anymore, so mediocre, PIU it's where it is at.
Im busting my ass to dominate more songs on hard, but Mr. Firefighter keeps kicking my ass. Yesterday i went home with my feet completely cramped.
sig pending...

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:41 pm

DS:
Elite Beat Agents - On the third level of difficulty.
New Super Mario Bros - Beat the game, but now clearing all the extra levels.
Phoenix Wright - Playing all three at the same time! IT'S CRAAZY FUN.

Wii:
Super Mario Galaxy - 85 stars.

PC:
Counter Strike
Team Fortress 2

Gamecube:
Super Smash Bros Melee - Yes I'm replaying it again. And it's still awesome.

WillBaseton
Self-Proclaimed Gaming Guru

Unread postby WillBaseton » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:58 pm

PS3:
Devil May Cry 4 (Son of Sparda, baby!)
Folklore

PSP:
Jeanne d'Arc

360:
Lost Odyssey (If you have a 360, like RPGs, and don't have this game, I officially want to punch you!)
Rock Band
Rez HD

Wii:
No More Heroes
Not Super Smash Bros. Brawl (DAMN NINTENDO AND THEIR DELAYS)

DS:
...nothing...

MMOS:
Nothing, although my WoW account is still active.

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:25 pm

Tetris and Audiosurf mostly. And STALKER. Get out of here, stalker!

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:55 pm

I said don't stand there, come in!

Just got Audiosurf, so will be playing that now.

Edit: Audiosurf is grade triple A awesome. Get it now!

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:17 pm

Hmmm... it kind of varies, really...

PS2 (not enough Sony rep on this page!)
Mister Mosquito
Odin Sphere (need to wrap up all of those extra endings)
R-Type Final
Persona 3 (been meaning to pick this back up for some time. I'm up to the point at which the game becomes extremely awesome)

PC
Afraid of Monsters (Creepier than thou; see Half-Life below)
Barkley: Shut up and Jam: Gaiden: Episode 1: (Google it)
Cosmology of Kyoto (bizarre, obscure game I need to finish)
Half-Life (so what if it's old? It's still awesome, barring the Xen levels which I dread)

Gamecube
Metroid Prime 1 & 2 (bought both, enjoyed them to a point, stopped playing. Really should get back to them both)
Super Smash Bros Melee (in light of the upcoming SSBB, I've been trying to unlock everything. Damn you, Events 40-51!)

Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Unread postby Spleen » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:05 am

Nothing! I'm playing nothing :D

Sometimes I hate my parents.
"Tell you what, Leto, I won't fight with you. Zeus' wives are pretty tough customers. You have my permission to boast openly that you have beaten the daylights out of me."
-Hermes, the Iliad (Stanley Lombardo, translator) Book 21

Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin

Unread postby Molokidan » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:04 pm

I usually only play one game at a time, but there are exceptions.

SFC:
Dragon Quest 6

DS:
Zelda: Phantom Hourglass - I started out doing all the sidequests and treasures, but then just got so bored that I just blew through the last dungeon and beat the game...

Game Center CX: I just finished this -- AWESOME game! Doubt it'll ever come to the States, but it's great. A huge throwback to classic NES gaming. It gives you challenges to complete on retro-styled 8-bit games, complete with a DQ-style RPG that has a lot of inside jokes.

Final Fantasy III

Final Fantasy IV

PS2:
Final Fantasy XII: I just 'finished' this, and I put 110 hours into it, more than any other time I've put into a single playthrough...in any RPG. And I still have the bestiary to complete and some items from the bazaar to get...I did destroy Yiazmat though...god did that take forever...

Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo (purely for competitive purposes)

GBA:

Final Fantasy 5 (trying to max out all jobs)

Final Fantasy 6 (trying to get EVERYONE to level 99...and Gau's rages...if I can stand it)

Edit: End, I looked up that Cosmology of Kyoto game you mentioned...that game looks AMAZING. I am extremely intrigued.

Edit 2:

1. Glu-Glu, it would be an honor to someday play you in Naruto: Clash of the Ninja 2, as I love playing Gai in that game.

2. Barkeley: Shut up and Jam: Gaiden: Episode 1 is awesome.

3: So is Audiosurf.

4. People have been telling me good things about FF11 especially with the recent expansion, but I dunno...it seems like it'd be something I'd regret getting into. Any thoughts?
"Well slap a dead fish on me and call me Molokidan!"

FF Fanatic 80
Driver of the OOC Bus

Unread postby FF Fanatic 80 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:30 pm

Having played a bit of FFXI back when Brian was playing, I thought it was fun. But like all MMO's, I'd be hesitant to recommend it unless you have other people to play with. Especially in FFXI, there's going to be a few things you'll need help with.

There's also the "Eats-Away-At-Your-Freetime-And-Soul" that's common to all MMO's. =P

...and on an ironic note, right now I mostly play Everquest 2 with some friends of mine from D&D and work. =D;

On the side, trying to see if I can beat DragonQuest 5 for SFC.

Ark
Cho wants to kill with cute

Unread postby Ark » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:40 pm

Let me see here.

For the PC I'm playing:
    7 Days a Skeptic
    Trilby's Notes
    6 Days a sacrifice
    Beneath A Steel Sky
And for the PS2 I'm playing:
    Haunting Ground
    Shadow Hearts: A New World
    Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2
As well as doing a playthrough of Clock Tower for the PS
I have no recommendations towards a MMORPG.
[img]http://www.fantasydragon.net/choark/Signature.jpg[/img]
Some detectives just have The Touch

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:17 pm

Molokidan wrote:GBA:

Final Fantasy 5 (trying to max out all jobs)
I maxed the original jobs before beating the game. FF5 is super-special Dia crack.

Just managed to find a copy of FF6 GBA, but I have that on hold. I don't feel like playing something so nostalgic and lengthy right now.

Molokidan wrote:Game Center CX: I just finished this -- AWESOME game! Doubt it'll ever come to the States, but it's great. A huge throwback to classic NES gaming. It gives you challenges to complete on retro-styled 8-bit games, complete with a DQ-style RPG that has a lot of inside jokes.
Speaking of foreign games, any Japanese-only DS games you can suggest from Play-asia's current stuff? I figure there's quite a few puzzle/platform games that aren't particularly heavy on the text.

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:52 pm

Ahh... not to heavy on the text?

I was gonna recommend Tokimeki Memorial : Girl's side... but...

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-hy- ... -2050.html

This, as of yet, is the only other game I've ordered from them.

It's love. Pure love.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:05 pm

Christian wrote:Ahh... not to heavy on the text?

I was gonna recommend Tokimeki Memorial : Girl's side... but...
Yeah, I don't read much Japanese, as it turns out. Now Spanish? I'd be all over that. :0

Christian wrote:http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-hy-49-en-70-2050.html

This, as of yet, is the only other game I've ordered from them.

It's love. Pure love.
You know, I've thought about getting that game before! Isn't there a PS2 game in the same series?

If you like music games, Chr, have you checked out 'Daigasso! Band Brothers'? It's the game I see up there with Ouendan as far as most recommended rhythm games.

As far as Play-Asia, there's also a series of what appear to be mostly logic-based puzzle games ("Puzzle Series") but they sold out of the game I really, really wanted from it (Slitherlink). This makes me sad. :'[

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:10 pm

Nopesie, haven't seen it, I'm generally not playing much game, so I try to cut down on the buying of them, but I'll definitely check it out once I decide to get a new one, you KNOW I'm all over those music games. :zoidberg:

I really love Girl's Side; aside from having voice actors that you recognize (the guy who does Gaara, the one doing Usopp, Roy from FMA, etc), it's also got the "best" sense of style EVER. All you have to do is match the theme of what you're going to wear, no matter how horribly it clashes with the other things you've chosen (themes are sporty, pure, sexy and professional... I think...) and your guy's gonna be all "Woooh, nice threads" and you'll be like "You know it, hunka hunka burning couch of love" and then you'll get kicked out of the Basketball team.

True story, happened to me... twice!

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:31 am

I've been getting seriously into Steel Battalion (!!) and Devil May Cry 4 lately. I took a day and a half to beat Jak 3 again, which was good times, and is highly recommended for Jak+Daxter veterans.

Steel Battalion is great. Frustrating, but very good. Very, very good.

Devil May Cry 4 is probably the most fun of the DMC series so far, combatwise. This is largely because Nero is eighty thousand times more effective in combat than Dante, a fact which becomes patently obvious when you lose the ability to play Nero and start having to play as Dante in the game. Boo =( Really, this game mostly makes me wish that Ninja Gaiden II was out so I could play it. Oh yeah.

Did I mention Rock Band? That's been a staple over here. And BW bought No More Heroes, which looks totally sweet.
"You haven't told me what I'm looking for."
"Anything that might be of interest to Slitscan. Which is to say, anything that might be of interest to Slitscan's audience. Which is best visualized as a vicious, lazy, profoundly ignorant, perpetually hungry organism craving the warm god-flesh of the anointed. Personally I like to imagine something the size of a baby hippo, the color of a week-old boiled potato, that lives by itself, in the dark, in a double-wide on the outskirts of Topeka. It's covered with eyes and it sweats constantly. The sweat runs into those eyes and makes them sting. It has no mouth, Laney, no genitals, and can only express its mute extremes of murderous rage and infantile desire by changing the channels on a universal remote. Or by voting in presidential elections."
--Colin Laney and Kathy Torrance, William Gibson's Idoru

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:14 am

PriamNevhausten wrote:Devil May Cry 4 is probably the most fun of the DMC series so far, combatwise. This is largely because Nero is eighty thousand times more effective in combat than Dante, a fact which becomes patently obvious when you lose the ability to play Nero and start having to play as Dante in the game. Boo =(

I'm in agreeance here. Nero is far easier to get to grips with. Dante is very fiddly, what with stance and weapon swapping on the fly. Potential for greater ludicrous combos is there, but Nero's just more fun. That, and he can rev up his sword. Which is awesome.

Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin

Unread postby Molokidan » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:00 pm

Rock Band is indeed awesome.

As far as non-US DS games goes, there are a few that I've had fun with. I played Daigasso Band Brothers, but I didn't like it too much.

However, Rhythm Tengoku is awesome. It's for the GBA, made by the people who did warioware, and totally awesome. It's all about keeping your rhythm so there is little japanese knowledge required.

Also fun is Taiko no Tatsujin, a rhythm game where you beat cute little taiko drums to music.

I didn't like Ouendan 2 as much as I liked #1, primarily because of the crappier song selection IMO.

Also, there is Puzzle de Pon! DS which is the DS version of Tetris Attack, although for some reason they stripped it of mascots and it's faux-futuristic-y. But it's cool since you can hold your DS like a book and play it.

I also recommend the Professor Layton games, I played through them when they first came out and now that they're making it to the US, there's no reason not to check them out. It's like playing a Studio Ghibli film with lots of sadistic puzzles.

That's about all I can think of right now.
"Well slap a dead fish on me and call me Molokidan!"

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:55 pm

Holy shit, Rhythm Tengoku appeared in this thread. I'm amazed! That game is so very awesome. And silly. And stylish.

Anyway, I've got a lot of stuff on "indefinite hold" (I'm looking at you, Persona 3 and Odin Sphere), but as far as what I'm actively playing, currently...

Wii

No More Heroes is so great. It's bloody and cheesy and over-the top and badass and dorky all at once. It's like a Quentin Tarantino video game, if Quentin Tarantino were a giant oldschool gaming nerd.

PS2:

Borrowed Metal Gear Solid 3 from Shini, digging it so far. I'm about... 3 bosses in? I think? It's been awhile, because sometimes my OCD gets in the way of actually enjoying the game. Also, because I'm seriously considering getting the upcoming Metal Gear Solid: The Essential Collection.

I really have to thank Smash Brothers: Brawl for inspiring me to get into this series.

Xbox 360:

Rock Band is one of, if not the best thing to happen to the music game genre since its conception. If you have friends who are into music and gaming, you need to play this game. Seriously, the shared experience is just amazing. Nothing helps you get in the mood to rock out like other people who are also in the mood to rock out.

Also, although I haven't played much of it, Devil May Cry 4's Nero does indeed seem to be much more fun to play than Dante ever was. Of course, I never played DMC1-3 long enough to get the hang of him, either. But then again, it didn't take me long to more-or-less get the hang of Nero. *shrug*
Anime is kind of like fish in that it is better the less "fishy" it is.

Archmage
REAL DOCTOR. FROM AMERICA.

Unread postby Archmage » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:51 am

I ran through almost the entire Starcraft: Brood War single-player campaign on Sunday. Playing a lot of Smash Bros Melee until Brawl comes out.

Other than that, the only game I'm playing right now is Disgaea 2, which has been fun, but the plot didn't grab me as much as the original. At this point I'm playing it in an MMORPG-esque fashion and trying to become grossly overpowered so I can take down some of the optional bosses.

FFXI was a pretty good MMORPG until I quit playing it, but it's not a game you can play solo. It's easy to find parties because nobody can solo, but like all MMORPGs it's a time-sink. I personally enjoyed it better than WoW, but it's all a matter of taste.

Deeum

Unread postby Deeum » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:15 pm

Not many real good MMOs out there that won't either 1)Feel like you have to play it. 2)Somehow make you lose any sympathy for humanity.

I'd be playing WoW if my connection didn't forbid me to not lag from hell and back. So City of Heroes sees to be my current obsession.

DS:
-Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations.
I'm replaying it again and again. Mosty case 3.
-Elite Beat Agents
Not very far considering how long I've had it now. But still stupid fun.
Glu-Glu: Breezin' completed, having some troubles on cruisin', i fucking cried at the christmas mission.

Cruisin' was hard for me till I got to the faster songs. For some reason I do better on those than the ones that start off slow. And the christmas song always makes me want to cry. agfkshgfks.
-LoZ:Phantom Hourglass
Can't say i'm playing it as much as I'm starting my game, stopping, and staring again. I cannot seem to get into it very well.

Wii:
-Wario Ware: Smooth Moves
For peoples in Ohio... well, this isn't anything new. :P
-Rayman
See above
-Trauma Center: Second Opinion
I love this ALOT better than the on one the DS. By, like, tons.

PS2:
.Dot//HACK:Infection

Beat this one and still sometimes dick around slightly power leveling. Waiting to get Mutation and Quarantine to finish the set off.
-Phantasy Star Universe
I do not play online mode on this one. I play enough for extra mode and play around with my created toon.
-Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law
For the love of god, if you like the series, GET THIS GAME. I have never laughed so much at a game in years.

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:05 pm

Hey, speaking of Trauma Center, anyone played New Blood? Is it less stupid and wack?
"You haven't told me what I'm looking for."
"Anything that might be of interest to Slitscan. Which is to say, anything that might be of interest to Slitscan's audience. Which is best visualized as a vicious, lazy, profoundly ignorant, perpetually hungry organism craving the warm god-flesh of the anointed. Personally I like to imagine something the size of a baby hippo, the color of a week-old boiled potato, that lives by itself, in the dark, in a double-wide on the outskirts of Topeka. It's covered with eyes and it sweats constantly. The sweat runs into those eyes and makes them sting. It has no mouth, Laney, no genitals, and can only express its mute extremes of murderous rage and infantile desire by changing the channels on a universal remote. Or by voting in presidential elections."
--Colin Laney and Kathy Torrance, William Gibson's Idoru

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:58 am

PS2

Wild Arms 4
Disgaea

Both acquired recently courtesy of the second hand shelf at the game store, and both very enjoyable. No other gaming systems.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:18 am

I just got into endgame of Rocket Slime (<3) and started up Professor Layton and the Curious Village. Rocket Slime is full of completionist yummy, while PLatCV is full of OH GOD WHAT AM I SUBJECTING MYSELF TO? S'fun all around!

Mechanisto

Unread postby Mechanisto » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:56 am

Supreme Commander, Forged Alliance. For the first time in my life, I have a fantastic PC to play high-end games on.

I also have Bioshock and Elder Scrolls Oblivion on my plate... but for some reason, I haven't been playing them much lately.

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:26 pm

You cab add Audiosurf to my PC list. Always enjoyable.
My house has also started a LAN allied Sword of the Stars match, and so far it's heaps of fun. I'm playing the hivers, and while this means I am an unstoppable force in my own cluster, I have yet to be able to break out of it and attack our foes.

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:00 pm

I swear, half the time I see the name of that game, I see "Audiosmurf"
Anime is kind of like fish in that it is better the less "fishy" it is.

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:16 pm

I also just got Audiosurf. Fuck that's fun.

Return to Kotoki's Bar and Inn