KyaLuin Island Theory of the Remnant Realms

Mmm, spam. Light discussion and silliness!

Moderators: BrainWalker, FlamingDeth, PriamNevhausten

poll title here

we sure have!
24%
lol wut
24%
glad you noticed! (this option is for Kai and maybe Idran)
12%
number four
No votes
cheese
24%
stop adding polls to topics which don't need them (this option is for Priam)
18%

Total votes : 17

pd Rydia

KyaLuin Island Theory of the Remnant Realms

Unread postby pd Rydia » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:36 pm

We sure have gotten us a lot of affiliates lately. :monocle:

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:37 pm

DaeLuin has a castlebot!

And the Hidden Realms has an awesome banner. Even more awesome if it was done by their community.

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:09 pm

Oh hey, would you look at that. I guess we do!
Anime is kind of like fish in that it is better the less "fishy" it is.

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:48 pm

Cheese.

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:56 pm

Cheese, or to be more specific, Bree.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:29 pm

glad you noticed! (this option is for Kai and maybe Idran)

KAI STEALS MY CREDIT AGAIN >:

Seriously, though, we do! They all seem like pretty good sites, so I'd definitely recommend folks check them out. Though some of the links may be temporary, since some of them require me to link them before they decide to affiliate with us or not; we'll find out soon enough for those!

Edit: Actually, I was just about to post that Idran did most of the work. I'm on many forums, but affiliating with them is mostly thanks to legwork from Idran. So go you! -Kai

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:40 pm

stop adding polls to topics which don't need them (this option is for Priam)

I'll have you know, young lady, that I was going to add a poll to my most recent topic-started, whatever it was, but I couldn't think of a good second option in addition to the first option of "Wow, what a great post!" or something similar.

YOU TAKE IT BACK.
"You haven't told me what I'm looking for."
"Anything that might be of interest to Slitscan. Which is to say, anything that might be of interest to Slitscan's audience. Which is best visualized as a vicious, lazy, profoundly ignorant, perpetually hungry organism craving the warm god-flesh of the anointed. Personally I like to imagine something the size of a baby hippo, the color of a week-old boiled potato, that lives by itself, in the dark, in a double-wide on the outskirts of Topeka. It's covered with eyes and it sweats constantly. The sweat runs into those eyes and makes them sting. It has no mouth, Laney, no genitals, and can only express its mute extremes of murderous rage and infantile desire by changing the channels on a universal remote. Or by voting in presidential elections."
--Colin Laney and Kathy Torrance, William Gibson's Idoru

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:27 pm

They're going to try to push store credit, so be sure to ask for a cash refund. You won't get quite as much, but how often do you shop there, really?

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:21 am

Every day of my life.

*a single tear*
"Anything that might be of interest to Slitscan. Which is to say, anything that might be of interest to Slitscan's audience. Which is best visualized as a vicious, lazy, profoundly ignorant, perpetually hungry organism craving the warm god-flesh of the anointed. Personally I like to imagine something the size of a baby hippo, the color of a week-old boiled potato, that lives by itself, in the dark, in a double-wide on the outskirts of Topeka. It's covered with eyes and it sweats constantly. The sweat runs into those eyes and makes them sting. It has no mouth, Laney, no genitals, and can only express its mute extremes of murderous rage and infantile desire by changing the channels on a universal remote. Or by voting in presidential elections."

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:21 pm

This is completely unrelated, but I'd let him heal me with his gun.

If you know what I mean. *wink wink*

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:43 pm

SHALL I FIX YOUR STUFF BY SMASHING IT WITH A WRENCH?

FF Fanatic 80
Driver of the OOC Bus

Unread postby FF Fanatic 80 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:03 pm

Personally, I'd be more worried about the rubber gloves. =(

Also: Gus: Bah, everyone knows real men use a lead pipe.

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:17 pm

If you're saying the Engineer ain't a real man then I'm pretty much gonna have to change your mind by hitting it with a rock.

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:25 pm

He's a good ol' boy, you can't get more manly than that. :/

FF Fanatic 80
Driver of the OOC Bus

Unread postby FF Fanatic 80 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:27 pm

Also unrelated, but perhaps not!:

Swiss Car Lets Motorists Drive Underwater

Nekogami

Unread postby Nekogami » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:52 pm

I read that as "Swiss Cat Let's Owner Drive Underwear"...

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:49 pm

Nekogami interjects her secret fantasies into everything she reads.

:laugh:

FF Fanatic 80
Driver of the OOC Bus

Unread postby FF Fanatic 80 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:59 pm

Christian wants some healing from the <strike>love</strike>doctor
Neko wants something to do with a sweedish kitty's underpants.

...when did this turn into a fetish thread? o_O

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:19 pm

The Medic's gloves remind me of White Dwarf.

And no, I don't mean Red Dwarf.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:33 pm

White Dwarf?

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:56 pm

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:52 am

White Dwarf?

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:14 am

White Dwarf?

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:35 pm

Bumping because we have a new affiliate: Islands of Elements.

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:29 am

Can we get some summaries on these guys?

Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin

Unread postby Molokidan » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:40 am

I'm just curious, has anyone actually joined an RP in these places? They all look a bit daunting to me, honestly, what with their lengthy rules, pools of forums, for an old-fashioned RPer like me it just seems like a chore to get into it...........
"Well slap a dead fish on me and call me Molokidan!"

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:59 am

Molo expresses my feelings on these matters succinctly.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:27 pm

Kai's a regular at Chaos Theory, and I know she was at one point at Hidden Realms; I think she still is now. She'd probably be best suited for describing her experiences as those two forums, I'd say.

Kai
Fighting the Iron Law of Oligarchy Since 2006

Unread postby Kai » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:46 pm

I'm active at both Hidden Realms and Chaos Theory. On HR I play Myrnal and Elhadron, while on CT I'm Alema Nilim and Shakti.

Hidden Realms does have a detailed setting, but it's not actually too much more detailed than, say, Gaera is. If you look at Gaera's wiki entries, we have a hell of a lot of info to learn as well. It's just that more parts of the setting get used on HR(which is an attraction for me), which means that you do have to know more if you want to roleplay in more than one place.

Also, the rules are there because they do have an application process. For a forum like RPGWW that's both less active and less focused on RP than HR, an application process would be the stupidest thing ever. However, HR is active enough that they can dedicate staff to the express task of ensuring people aren't running around with half-assed ill-written godpowerful superassassin sun-worshipping dark elves with poisons that can make your head explode with blood. I've seen enough sillyass things apped that I'm actually kind of glad that everyone I play with there has had to prove they're willing to put some thought into what they're doing. It's not a difficult requirement to meet, but having that one small hurdle weeds out a lot of people I'd rather not RP with anyway (and as you can see, I've exported my old RPGWW elitism with me to HR).

On Hidden Realms you do switch subforums when you switch locations, which was really annoying to me at first. Now I can kind of see why you might do that. It's an incentive to use all your locations (since you can tell by looking which have gone unused for a while), and a way to see what else is going on in the same area as your plot. Sometimes this makes it easier for people to meet up or whatever.

Quality of RP at HR tends to be very good, and I've been both a player and a GM there for over a year now. Setting is a little grittier than Gaera (as evidenced by the fact that my dark elf character actually does have people who want to kick his ass on sight, as opposed to the open-minded and egalitarian Doma Capital where Gaerans tend to end up).

HR doesn't have as strong an OOC community as RPGWW does unless you're able to hang out in the IRC room. The rest of what goes on tends to be spam threads that hold little interest for me, so I hang out with the staffers on IRC and that's enough.

Chaos Theory is a Star Wars forum that split off from The Gungan Council. Some of you may recall from my LJ the insane explosion of drama and general assholery at TGC, and at the end of it a lot of people left to form Chaos Theory (myself included). It's not as active as TGC (RP-wise it's on a par with RPGWW as far as the usual number of threads) and the OOC community is pretty strong. There's also a general vibe among the members that they've had enough drama kthx, so keeping things casual and friendly is a priority. I'd recommend this if you're looking to write with people who're good at RPing, but don't tend to take themselves too seriously.

At both of these sites you have to make a new account for each character you play (though due to ezboard douchefuckery this rule is being eased at CT because I don't think they really care), and while at HR nobody worries about people knowing who they are, at CT it's more common to keep your alts a secret. I've never bothered with this and don't really care, but some people like to keep that anonymity.

Islands of Elements I'm only passingly familiar with. I visited their forum once because a friend asked me to advise them on things like forum layout. They took a couple of my suggestions, but I haven't checked back since (since being on three RP forums is quite enough for me).

I hope that offers people some more general info about the affiliates I've checked out.

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:20 pm

You know, this may be speaking out of line here...

But that Chaos Theory place sounds pretty neat; I'm currently prepping for my first session as a GM in real life, and I'm running a... *durmrolls* Star Wars Campaign. I'm using the old D6, WEG systems and doing the Introductory Adventure Game; I played it a couple of times when I was younger, it was the first game I bought and I'm a real nerd.

So I think I'll check it out. Thanks for the tip, I hadn't even thought about clicking those links before I read this. :)

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:42 pm

Gus is correct about White Dwarf. I think.

Return to Kotoki's Bar and Inn