Mana Potions

Mmm, spam. Light discussion and silliness!

Moderators: BrainWalker, FlamingDeth, PriamNevhausten

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Mana Potions

Unread postby Besyanteo » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:44 am

No, no this topic doesn't go in OOC. The reason it doesn't go in OOC is because I'm not talking about PhilSys.

So, it says that it has twice the caffeine of a RedBull, and that company claims each RedBull has as much caffeine as a cup of filtered coffee. It's advertised as being a 40 mL drink with no sugar and a citrus flavor, of varying colors due to the way some vitamin in it oxidizes. Seems slightly pricey ($3.45 a bottle plus shipping, unless you're in a rare state with locations that sells it commercially) for a sip of fluid in a styled glass container that supposedly keeps you running for 5-8 hours.

Thoughts?

Edit: Nutritional Facts.
Are there any side effects to getting +6000% of your daily requirement for a vitamin?

Archmage
REAL DOCTOR. FROM AMERICA.

Unread postby Archmage » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:23 pm

Since you asked for my opinion:

First thought: Damn, those're expensive.

In more detail, this product is analogous 5-hour energy and similar "energy shot" products, which, if you really want to, you can get at any drugstore, gas station, or supermarket for a couple dollars apiece. That's my economic standpoint. It's a marketing gig, in case it weren't obvious. The kind of thing you would buy for novelty.

Red Bull comes in 8.3 ounce cans. One can has approximately 80 mg of caffeine. A 12-oz Mountain Dew has about 50 mg of caffeine, a Dew Game Fuel has 72 mg, and a can of Coke has about 25 mg. The caffeine of coffee varies depending on preparation, but you're looking at an average of 100 mg per 8 ounce cup. Typical caffeine tablets have 200 mg per tab.

As for the "nutritional content" of the product:

The B-vitamins aren't likely to have toxic side-effects, even at very high doses. They also aren't likely to do anything beneficial, because B-vitamins are water-soluble and you're going to end up dumping all of the excess out in your urine. B-vitamins are important for energy metabolism, but they're also in everything. Most grains are fortified with B-vitamins, including breakfast cereal. Very, very few people have legitimate B-vitamin deficiencies. Extra B-vitamins will not make you more energetic.

The "enzyme blend" in the product is presumably being touted as aiding in the metabolism of whatever energy stores you have or whatever food you've eaten. Amylases break down carbs. Cellulases break down indigestable starches (cellulose) found in plants. Lactases break down milk sugar (lactose), lipases break down fat, and proteases break down protein. The claim is that by putting these things into your stomach you will better digest anything that's in there and get more energy. The even more far-fetched claim is that by consuming lipases, for example, that you will break down stored fat in your body.

This is all wrong. Enzymes are proteins. Proteins are rapidly digested and broken down into component amino acids in the human stomach. Those enzymes will suffer the same fate as any hamburger. And they won't do anything in the stomach because enzymes have very specific pH requirements; it is unlikely that they will be active in the acidic environment of the stomach.

There are exceptions to this; it is possible to take lactase capsules to overcome lactose intolerance, for example. But this works because the lactase is protected by a coating to allow it to survive the stomach and reach the intestine. Lactase suspended (not dissolved; proteins are not water-soluble) in some liquid is going to get chewed up by gastric proteases, as are other enzymes thrown into the stomach.

L-taurine is an amino acid that might have some stimulant effects. Glucuronolactone is a by-product of glucose metabolism in the liver; it is touted as a fatigue-fighter, but there's not a lot of evidence to support this. And of course, there's a lot of caffeine. The majority of the stimulant effect of this product will come from the caffeine, which means that it will have the exact same effects--and side-effects--as heavy caffeine use, such as tremors, anxiety, heart palpitations, increased blood pressure, and insomnia.

Coffee, without sugar or cream, doesn't contain carbohydrates, fats, or proteins. As such, it is non-caloric. So if you really want a low-cal caffeine fix and you think popping Vivarin makes you a junkie, drink coffee.

If you don't like coffee and really want a no-cal caffeine fix, and you don't want to pop caffeine tabs, uh...you're out of luck, I guess. You could always switch to...er...diet Mountain Dew?

Or you could shell out for overpriced "energy shots."

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:30 pm

That's all quite interesting, Brian. You forgot one major question, though. In your pharmaceutical opinion, how much MP would one of these restore?

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:44 pm

"You haven't told me what I'm looking for."
"Anything that might be of interest to Slitscan. Which is to say, anything that might be of interest to Slitscan's audience. Which is best visualized as a vicious, lazy, profoundly ignorant, perpetually hungry organism craving the warm god-flesh of the anointed. Personally I like to imagine something the size of a baby hippo, the color of a week-old boiled potato, that lives by itself, in the dark, in a double-wide on the outskirts of Topeka. It's covered with eyes and it sweats constantly. The sweat runs into those eyes and makes them sting. It has no mouth, Laney, no genitals, and can only express its mute extremes of murderous rage and infantile desire by changing the channels on a universal remote. Or by voting in presidential elections."
--Colin Laney and Kathy Torrance, William Gibson's Idoru

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:20 am

It pleases me to know that my beloved MAX is as caffeine laden as pop can get.

Also, to hell with that mana potion stuff. £2 a bottle is outrageous, and I'm guessing $4 is even more outrageous over there.

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:23 am

With the current exchange rates it's almost identical in outrageousness. In fact, it's very, very slightly more outrageous over on your side of the pond!

Ark
Cho wants to kill with cute

Unread postby Ark » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:22 am

Even more so because it's not Tea!
[img]http://www.fantasydragon.net/choark/Signature.jpg[/img]
Some detectives just have The Touch

Archmage
REAL DOCTOR. FROM AMERICA.

Unread postby Archmage » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:48 pm

Regarding Priam's link, I tend to use Erowid's table, but that one works, too.

Also, according to the web site, a normal person has about 100 mana. I suspect that these are full mana potions in order to justify the high cost.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:01 pm

But how many lightning bolts does 100 mana net you?

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:15 pm

If you mix this with a red bull is it an elixir?

NamagomiMk0

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:46 pm

No, see, you can't just mix it in a red bull. You need to get three Red Bulls, three mana potions, and a gem, throw them in a cube, and transmute them. Then you get a full rejuvenation potion.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:53 pm

Provided you make the save against cardiac arrest, at least.

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:14 pm

Either that, or mix a Material 6, a Carroteer, and said Mana Potion. In which case you'll get 3 Elixirs, and some Phozons to boot.

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:17 pm

Or you can light it on fire and throw it at a building! Or a homeless person!
"Anything that might be of interest to Slitscan. Which is to say, anything that might be of interest to Slitscan's audience. Which is best visualized as a vicious, lazy, profoundly ignorant, perpetually hungry organism craving the warm god-flesh of the anointed. Personally I like to imagine something the size of a baby hippo, the color of a week-old boiled potato, that lives by itself, in the dark, in a double-wide on the outskirts of Topeka. It's covered with eyes and it sweats constantly. The sweat runs into those eyes and makes them sting. It has no mouth, Laney, no genitals, and can only express its mute extremes of murderous rage and infantile desire by changing the channels on a universal remote. Or by voting in presidential elections."

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:19 pm

Arson is so old hat, though. Get with the times.

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:30 pm

I feel it is my sacred duty to stop people from drowning every single thread in their spamming of geek references, though.

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:33 pm

Given the nature of this forum (in general, mind), I'd say that's somewhat difficult to do.

If there is no further serious discussion to be derived from the subject of this topic, however, you can always move it to the Spam Forum.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:03 pm

PriamNevhausten wrote:I feel it is my sacred duty to stop people from drowning every single thread in their spamming of geek references, though.

Non sequitur jokes about violence and burning are any better? :D

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:44 pm

Idran1701 wrote:
PriamNevhausten wrote:I feel it is my sacred duty to stop people from drowning every single thread in their spamming of geek references, though.

Non sequitur jokes about violence and burning are any better? :D

Of course! this is America, after all.
Anime is kind of like fish in that it is better the less "fishy" it is.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:05 am

I'm kind of surprised at how much caffeine can lurk in chocolate.

Return to Kotoki's Bar and Inn