Smash Bros--

Mmm, spam. Light discussion and silliness!

Moderators: BrainWalker, FlamingDeth, PriamNevhausten

pd Rydia

Smash Bros--

Unread postby pd Rydia » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:24 pm

So I don't know who's been watching the Smash Bros. DOJO!! site, but it's had a few awesome updates recently. I hates me sitting on my ass and watching some internet videos, but I watched no less than 4 (IV, four, two more than two, cuatro, some other foreign word for four) videos related to Snake's appearance in the game.

I give you two links: lunk1 and lunk2

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:51 am

Step 1: This.

Step 2: This.

This edit brought to you by the letter equals-sign! --Priam

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:40 pm

It also appears that the kid from Mother 3 is a playable character. This was revealed on Oct 1, the day Sin & Punishment (N64) and Super Mario Bros 2/The Lost Levels (NES) were brought to the virtual console. The games didn't really require much localization as I understand it, but they're still being advertised as "import" titles.

One can dream that maybe, just maybe, Mother 3 will be available for purchase some day. :[

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:44 pm

Or translated emulation!~

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:45 pm

Well, that would be what virtual console titles are.

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:46 pm

I edited the tilde for maximum dramatic effect.

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:55 pm

Dramatic!~

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:00 pm

I want to post relevant things in this thread, but I have a headache the size of SuperTexas. It's like regular Texas, except that everything is even bigger than it would have been, had it been in Texas.

I'm only online because I had work to do (which is now done) and because I am a masochist.

Perhaps some other time. This topic is certainly relevant to my interests.
Anime is kind of like fish in that it is better the less "fishy" it is.

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:00 pm

Mine's got style and substance though. Perhaps I should link to that magical singing dancing japanese clock!

:D - Idran

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:30 am

Does Super Texas have Super Texan Politics?

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:09 pm

Goddamn that clock is awesome. I thought it was awesome enough yesterday, but today I find it changes depending on the time of day. Awesome.

Also, the reason noone knows about SuperTexas is because they accidentally pulled themselves into their very own alternate dimention by sheer mass xenophobia. That and their sheer mass.

So, yea, I actually check the Smash Brothers Dojo on a daily basis, because I don't really have time to do anything more involving, and for such a small investment of time, it's usually fairly entertaining. Especially any time they've had anything to say about Snake. That "Snake Joins the Brawl!" video was awesome. I was really happy to see that he's got his classic sleeper-hold, which was always tons of fun in MGS.

Other things that are awesome:
Adventure mode being two-player
What does Fox McCloud, famous mercenary space-pilot bring onto the field of battle for his Final Smash? A bird? A plane? Superman? Nope. A tank. Good times.
METAKNIGHT & PIT

Also, it looks like this game is going to have a lot of really awesome music from a lot of really awesome musicians. I already want the soundtrack almost as much as the game itself.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:36 pm

Speaking of, we downloaded Starfox64 for the VC. Good times.

glu-glu
wears confusing avatars.

Unread postby glu-glu » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:57 pm

i check it every weekday, luckily for me, the updates happen just as my local clock hits midnight.
sig pending...

DrSteveMcSexy

Unread postby DrSteveMcSexy » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:04 pm

The best part of it all is how serious he sounds when he explains how Wario can use his farts to fly around.

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:27 am

BrainWalker wrote:SuperTexas. It's like regular Texas, except that everything is even bigger than it would have been, had it been in Texas.

That makes it slightly smaller than it would have been had it been in regular Alaska, right?

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:27 am

Yes. Except for Alaskan men's penises. Which really, given the size of everything else, only exacerbates the problem.

glu-glu
wears confusing avatars.

Unread postby glu-glu » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:35 am

sig pending...

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:19 am

OK, I'm takin' bets! Who else are they gonna throw in? I've seen their lineup from the last game, they got PLENTY of room!

Ten bucks says Tails is gonna make it in too, and another twenty says Bonk of Bonk's Adventure will find his way there! 3-2 for Master Higgins! I'm takin' bets!

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:21 am

Forget Higgins it's all about Kazin or Baron Lemon.

WillBaseton
Self-Proclaimed Gaming Guru

Unread postby WillBaseton » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:29 am

Well, according to Sakurai, they were going to have two or three guest characters aside from Snake. So I'd say one or two more total. Mega Man and Black Mage would be a good set of choices.

That being said, them delaying the game until next year makes me cry, since I now have no reason to touch my Wii again until after Christmas.

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:00 am

Welp, now that the character I want is in SSBB (:3) I'd be willing to bet on Mega Man and Bomberman. Hell, maybe Pac-Man. He's a gaming icon, he's been on Nintendo hardware, and Namco's willing to whore him out for just about anything.

Ark
Cho wants to kill with cute

Unread postby Ark » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:29 am

Dude, if they have Pacman in the game along with Sonic and Mario then I'm so getting it, so questions asked. Hell if they really want to sell me they could confirm Dizzy for brawl (bot the Guilty Gear Dizzy, but Dizzy of the Yolk folk).

But hey, Sonic and Mario together. What is this ... Tears? I'm so happy but for some reason I'm crying.
[img]http://www.fantasydragon.net/choark/Signature.jpg[/img]
Some detectives just have The Touch

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:45 am

A Pac-Man level would be incredibly awesome too, would it not? Imagine grabbing a Power Pellet as one of the characters and chasing the others around. There would be so many gaming universes clashing together that the results would be nothing less than epic.

Although I think Dizzy's oldschool factor would likely make the thing far too epic... and, yes, happiness over a video game? It truly is an odd thing, isn't it? :D

Taiar

Unread postby Taiar » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:35 am

It's no secret that Capcom is on the Nintendo boat, and while I'd love to see Megaman in Brawl...

Ryu from Street Fighter.

...That would be endless amounts of entertainment for me. I don't see how Nintendo could ever outdo themselves for the next Smash Bros.

Also: Come on Nintendo. Smash Brothers DS: could you imagine the 8 player Wi-Fi Chaos?

Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin

Unread postby Molokidan » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:31 am

I dunno, Megaman and Ryu have had their fun in other fighters, I always thought SSBM was mostly for characters who had never been in fighting games previously. And that's possibly what makes it so fun.

I honestly am so excited now that Sonic is confirmed. This might seriously make me go out and buy a Wii, simply for this game. Yikes.
"Well slap a dead fish on me and call me Molokidan!"

WillBaseton

Unread postby WillBaseton » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:53 am

Molokidan wrote:I dunno, Megaman and Ryu have had their fun in other fighters, I always thought SSBM was mostly for characters who had never been in fighting games previously. And that's possibly what makes it so fun.

Which is interesting, because both Snake and Sonic have been in fighters before. o.o

I'm hoping for a Belmont and an FF character, as said before. I think that'd pretty well encompass classic Nintendo-ness. Damn delays. X_X

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:06 am

glu-glu wrote:http://wii.ign.com/articles/826/826130p1.html

"Nintendo will put more emphasis on the Wii Vote channel in the future. You'll be able to put rankings for games that you've played and search for games that fit your liking.

"Nintendo will also begin a service similar to the DS Station retail service. You'll be able to download demos from your home."

Kinda neat, the first, more neat, the second.

Also, did anyone else notice that we got some Neo Geo games on the virtual console this past Monday? I totally don't recognize them because, y'know, I never played a Neo Geo, though Fatal Fury rings a bell (somehow).

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:15 am

Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin

Unread postby Molokidan » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:11 pm

WillBaseton wrote:
Which is interesting, because both Snake and Sonic have been in fighters before. o.o

Which ones?
"Well slap a dead fish on me and call me Molokidan!"

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:46 pm

WillBaseton wrote:I'm hoping for a Belmont and an FF character, as said before. I think that'd pretty well encompass classic Nintendo-ness. Damn delays. X_X
I was thinking an FF character might not be too far-fetched, what with the cameos in Mario Hoops (developed by Squeenix, published by Nintendo, IIRC).

WillBaseton

Unread postby WillBaseton » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:25 pm

Molokidan wrote:Which ones?

Sonic was in Sonic Battle, and Snake was in a crossover VS. fighter, released only in Japan, called DreamMix TV World Fighters, alongside rather random cameos as Optimus Prime and Bomberman.

And I agree with Dia. Because of Square's increased support for Nintendo platforms, it seems likely that the two would collaborate somehow, even if it's a totally random cameo or JUST an assist trophy or some such.

Deeum

Unread postby Deeum » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:42 am

pd Rydia wrote:I was thinking an FF character might not be too far-fetched, what with the cameos in Mario Hoops (developed by Squeenix, published by Nintendo, IIRC).

Mogg, plees!

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:18 am

WillBaseton wrote:
Molokidan wrote:Which ones?

Sonic was in Sonic Battle, and Snake was in a crossover VS. fighter, released only in Japan, called DreamMix TV World Fighters, alongside rather random cameos as Optimus Prime and Bomberman.

And I agree with Dia. Because of Square's increased support for Nintendo platforms, it seems likely that the two would collaborate somehow, even if it's a totally random cameo or JUST an assist trophy or some such.

Don't forget Sonic the Fighters, which was essentially Virtua Fighter with Sonic characters.

Also, yes to Mog in SSBB. 'd be awesome.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:16 am

Speaking of Square's support for Nintendo, one of the WiiWare games is going to be a Crystal Chronicles title, The Little King.

WillBaseton

Unread postby WillBaseton » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:49 am

We have confirmation from the Nintendo America president himself...game's due out in the States...on February 10th.

Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Unread postby Spleen » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:21 pm

Shit that's far away.

In other news, they updated the Sonic page on Dojo with his special moves, which please me greatly as they are hyper-oldschool and yet are going to be fucking formidable.

I think Mega Man and Ryu could both be adapted very well for Smash Bros., way better than Snake for instance (and the Shoryuken alone would be hours of fun), but I doubt they'll be included. Mega Man is, of course, way more likely than Ryu.
"Tell you what, Leto, I won't fight with you. Zeus' wives are pretty tough customers. You have my permission to boast openly that you have beaten the daylights out of me."
-Hermes, the Iliad (Stanley Lombardo, translator) Book 21

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:00 pm

Febuary 10th? Damn, that sucks. I was kind of faintly hoping that we would still be getting the game for the holiday season in the States, even though that would have been a month and a half before the Japanese release... *sigh* Patience is not my strongest virtue.

I'm not entirely sold on the concept of putting a "real" fighting game character in Smash Brothers. Your Street Fighters and King of Fighers and Soul Caliburs and what-have-you place the subject of fighting on a whole 'nother level... it just would feel really weird to have all that boiled down to something goofy and Smashlike. Besides, fighting game characters are, strangely enough, already in fighting games. As iconic as Ryu is, I'd rather see a characters from other genres.

Besides, Ryu is so serious he couldn't even lighten up in Pocket Fighter.

pd Rydia wrote:Also, did anyone else notice that we got some Neo Geo games on the virtual console this past Monday? I totally don't recognize them because, y'know, I never played a Neo Geo, though Fatal Fury rings a bell (somehow).

I actually was not aware of this until Dia's post. I was wondering when/if that was going to happen. Hurrah for emulation of a second console I never got to play! I wonder if the classic controller is good for 2-D fighters...

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:43 am

According to 3rd-hand information (I heard it from Mike who heard it from a coworker), the emulation of the Neo Geo titles has some issues--scrunching up the top half of the screen or somesuch. I'mma wait until 1up's thumbsup/thumbsdown review of the game comes out, since they regularly mention the shoddy TG16 emu.

Looks like we may be getting some TGCD games in the near future, including (:D) Cho Aniki.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:10 am

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:14 pm

I wonder how many people are bitching and moaning about how Little Mac is an assist trophy instead of a playable character? Man, you should have seen the guys over at GameFAQs bitch about Lyn, and I had never even heard of her before.

Next

Return to Kotoki's Bar and Inn