Smash Bros--

Mmm, spam. Light discussion and silliness!

Moderators: BrainWalker, FlamingDeth, PriamNevhausten

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:16 am

WillBaseton wrote:Last Spoiler.

I laughed. Also, I share Gus's joy.

WillBaseton
Self-Proclaimed Gaming Guru

Unread postby WillBaseton » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:39 am

And yet more!

Spoiler:
Falco

Spoiler:
Mr. Game and Watch

Spoiler:
Jigglypuff

Spoiler:
Wind Waker Link

And
Spoiler:
Ridley and Pokey as recurring bosses in the story mode.

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:57 am

WillBaseton

Unread postby WillBaseton » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:03 pm

Well, that one's a photoshopping, Gus old boy. The way I'm handling this is that the only characters I'm confirming are ones I've seen screenshots of in the game itself, either in battle or cutscenes.
Spoiler:
Wolf
is still up in the air, so I was going to wait to mention him.

glu-glu
wears confusing avatars.

Unread postby glu-glu » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:05 pm

So, any of you caught the live mid nite streaming of the game? it was awesome.
sig pending...

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:35 pm

Woah. This topic exploded all of a sudden.

I had a whole big post written up, but I lost it because I accidentally double-clicked on the Firefox logo while attempting to open the "File" menu. Hurrah for crappy broken mouses... mice. Whatever.

Attempting to recover some of those thoughts...

I'm not entirely comfortable with the emerging prospect that clones are back. I mean, with
Spoiler:
Ness, Falco, and Gannondorf
all confirmed, and rumors circulating about
Spoiler:
Young Link and Wolf O'Donnel
, I really have to wonder... I kind of appreciate the approach they took with
Spoiler:
Ness and Lucas; sharing some moves but having others unique to each of them
, but only time will tell wether that holds true for the other characters. I'm glad
Spoiler:
Falco and Gannondorf
are returning, but I was kind of hoping they'd have their own unique moves. Maybe they do, and we just don't know yet... everything's sort of up in the air right now.

I really don't get what people see in
Spoiler:
Wolf
, though. I mean, we've already got
Spoiler:
Fox and Falco
, so why do we need another
Spoiler:
laser-gun-toting space-animal
? I haven't actually seen any proof of him yet, though. Still, I'm really curious to see how this particular scenario plays out.

Spoiler:
R.O.B.
totally comes out of left field, though. I mean,
Spoiler:
I was excited to see him in Subspace Emissary, but on the character select screen? I remain skeptical. R.O.B. is known for being a slow and clunky oldschool NES accessory... how do you translate that onto the battlefield? I really can't imagine R.O.B. being effective at all.
I can't help but thinking he'll be this game's Dan Hibiki. Of course, he could also be this game's Zangief, which would actually be pretty fucking cool. Who the Hell knows?

One thing I really want to know, though... who the Hell is this guy? He's apparently a boss in Subspace Emissary. It's also been said he's new for Brawl; as in, not from another game.

Also,
Spoiler:
Game&Watch
makes me happy.

Edit: Holy crap this post is ugly. Hurrah for sporadic use of spoiler tags!
Anime is kind of like fish in that it is better the less "fishy" it is.

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:59 pm

So... massive leak of spoilers concerning SSE on GameFAQs (and /v/, NeoGAF, blah blah blah).

Two particularly relevant clips, now on YouTube:

Sonic's entrance.
Spoiler:
He appears to attack Taboo, and essentially sets up the final battle.
Neat scene, though somewhat disappointing in that it's apparently the only one he gets. Weak. (Although there is a particularly awesome bit of fan service in there...)

The final boss of SSE with Ending and Credits.
Yet another leak, found on GameFAQs, and as it turns out,
Spoiler:
Taboo
is the final boss.

WillBaseton

Unread postby WillBaseton » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:56 pm

Because I oh-so-love thread resurrections...

Game's out in two days. I have to work on launch day. Who's getting it then, and who's interested in a potential Wi-Fi match or two that evening to celebrate?

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:42 pm

STUPID REGION RELEASE DELAYS! RABBLE! RABBLERABBLERABBLE!

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:57 pm

We'll be picking it up on release but will be helping our brother/-in-law and sister-in-law pack up for moving that day, so I don't know when we will actually get around to playing. It'll be Sunday, but not, like, immediately after the store opens. We may be up for multiplayer when we get home.

You're already on our buddy list but need to put us on yours. Our wii code is in the Discussion Forum thread.

WillBaseton

Unread postby WillBaseton » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:25 am

Added, Dia.

And yeah, I won't be playing until later on Sunday afternoon, either...my store isn't allowed to do a midnight release, so I have to go in normally like everyone else. However, as soon as I get home, I don't think the game is going to be turned off until I pass out of exhaustion.

However, I did manage to play the copy of the game Nintendo sent us to put in our demo Wii after I closed up shop tonight. We originally only planned to play for 10 minutes or so, but we ended up getting sidetracked and playing for two hours after the entire mall closed. It was glorious, and if people have any questions, I'd be glad to answer whatever I can.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:50 am

WillBaseton wrote:Wii
It was glorious

That sells it right there. :D

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:48 am

With all this crazy snow we've got and are still getting over here in Ohio, I'm not sure what the Hell is going to happen as far as Brawl is concerned. I was planning to kidnap Reako and bring him down to Brawl with The OH Crew tonight, but that's not looking to be an adviseable course of action. I'm not even sure driving out to the mall tomorrow morning to pick up my own copy will be an advisealbe course of action at this rate.

In consolation, I have looked up Snake's codec conversations with his support team on all the characters in Brawl (himself included). They're all great, but they also contain character roster spoilers, so BEWARE!

Here's the lot of them.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:55 pm

That totally sucks, Brian. :[ My consolations.

There's at least one store by us doing a midnight release. They're going to start selling the 'game' at 10--or game vouchers, or something similar--so that people can have time to do their trade-ins and whatnot, and at midnight just hand over the slip for the game.

We'll be sleeping at this time, though it would be nice to participate "ironically."

WillBaseton

Unread postby WillBaseton » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:50 am

Well, I have the game now. Picked up a copy at a midnight release in town...I'm going to need to figure out a way to unload the copy I'm going to be getting from my store later today, though.

My game code is 0087 1965 0576. I'd talk more on the subject, but my brain is worn the hell out from playing it for seven hours straight, only one of those with actual other people playing with me.

Yes, it's that good.

Archmage
REAL DOCTOR. FROM AMERICA.

Unread postby Archmage » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:38 pm

Agreed. We spent like 3 hours playing Subspace Emissary co-op after like 4 hours of straight brawls. I cannot get enough of Pit. Lucas is pretty cool, too, but I think I like Ness better. Snake is kind of weird, but I just got him unlocked like an hour ago.

PK STARSTORM!

Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Unread postby Spleen » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:29 pm

My roommate got it, but I'm stuck at work till 9. I did get to play about an hour before I left, and it was freaking awesome; I could feel myself getting pretty good with Pokemon Trainer (his Final Smash is complete fucking chaos). I just wish I didn't have so much work due next week :-/
"Tell you what, Leto, I won't fight with you. Zeus' wives are pretty tough customers. You have my permission to boast openly that you have beaten the daylights out of me."
-Hermes, the Iliad (Stanley Lombardo, translator) Book 21

Archmage

Unread postby Archmage » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:57 pm

Just started screwing with online stuff. My Brawl game code is:

1590-4394-4795

Animala
HATED BY SKELETONS

Unread postby Animala » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:00 pm

2750-0806-0974

FIGHT ME.

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:43 pm

5155-2628-4042

Why they decided you can't just use the console's default friend code, and why you can't just pull in people from your address book, I'll never know.

Ganonfro

Unread postby Ganonfro » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:50 pm

While I just played me some Brawl, I have to say it's pretty freaking sweet, and would offer my friend code if I had a Wii. Alas that won't happen for a while, until I find a better job.

I love ZeroSuit Samus. Good god she is useful. Also, Marth seems so much cooler with his being super fast instead of normal fast...

Archmage

Unread postby Archmage » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:47 am

After "extensive play research," I've come to several initial conclusions about characters, mechanics, and maneuvers.

I guess you could call this post "spoiler-laden" if you really want to figure these things out for yourself, but last I checked, fighting games were all about the extensive discussion of game strategy and information.

Throwing. Does it seem like they "de-nerfed" it, at least, for many characters? Some characters don't throw that well, but a lot of them throw better than they used to; it's more like SSB throws than SSBM throws, which were severely cut down in power.

Final Smashes are cool, but a lot of otherwise good characters have mediocre final smashes. I'm just speculating, but I have a feeling that the smash ball will be a disabled item in serious competitive play. If it isn't, the tier rankings are going to be radically altered. Pikachu comes to mind; he's a solid character, as good as he has been previously, but his final smash sucks when you compare him to a lot of other characters who are at least as good.

Fox has been toned down in general, but he's still great. Final smash is a little cumbersome; on some levels, it's practically unusable, but it's decent. The up-smash needed a little nerfing. The down-smash seems like a good replacement, though it directs foes to the left or right rather than the more difficult-to-escape up. At least he's not KOing lighter characters at 70% now.

Marth is still a little bitch. On the plus side, it seems like almost everyone has better recovery than they used to. Maybe this just makes it easier to avoid edgeguarding from any opponent. Air-dashing can't move you anymore, but it doesn't need to; most of the up+B recovery moves get you a lot more vertical distance than it feels like they ever did before. Sonic, Snake, and Pit come to mind; Game + Watch is a clear example, as his up+B now not only shoots you upwards, but gives you the ability to glide horizontally.

Sheik is still solid, but they unfortunately powered down her aerial forward+A. I'm not terribly surprised. That swat was absurd.

You can up-smash during a dash if you swat the C-stick upwards while you're running. I think they made this possible because that was one of the big draws of wavedashing--the ability to retain movement speed without sacrificing the ability to smash. Some characters in particular can make amazing use of this; Sheik is a clear example.

CQCing Squirtle as Snake still makes me laugh every time.

Top personal characters so far, at least in terms of personal preference, are definitely Pit and Snake, though Ness is fun (and his final smash is awesome). I think the Pokemon Trainer has potential to be a serious contender in tournament environments, but the game's been out in America for less than a week. We'll see how that goes.

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:02 pm

Hahahaha. You think items are turned on in serious competition. Hahahaha!
"You haven't told me what I'm looking for."
"Anything that might be of interest to Slitscan. Which is to say, anything that might be of interest to Slitscan's audience. Which is best visualized as a vicious, lazy, profoundly ignorant, perpetually hungry organism craving the warm god-flesh of the anointed. Personally I like to imagine something the size of a baby hippo, the color of a week-old boiled potato, that lives by itself, in the dark, in a double-wide on the outskirts of Topeka. It's covered with eyes and it sweats constantly. The sweat runs into those eyes and makes them sting. It has no mouth, Laney, no genitals, and can only express its mute extremes of murderous rage and infantile desire by changing the channels on a universal remote. Or by voting in presidential elections."
--Colin Laney and Kathy Torrance, William Gibson's Idoru

Archmage

Unread postby Archmage » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:18 pm

They aren't. Which means that the Final Smashes, despite being a big "thing" for this game, are not going to happen during tournaments, because they're going to turn items off, though the issue of items on versus items off has come up several times in the past, with there being camps on either side (frequently organized geographically).

There is the possibility that all items would be disabled EXCEPT the Smash Ball, just because it's not really anything like a regular item (in some sense) but I'm doubting it. Which means that beyond casual play, Final Smashes are going to be completely irrelevant in terms of tier rankings for characters.

Animala
HATED BY SKELETONS

Unread postby Animala » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:45 pm

I'd think smash balls would have a chance: the effect they have on the game is genuinely interesting, especially due to the possibility of fumbling the final smash. But they'll probably get left out from sheer inertia.

On the topic of mediocre final smashes: Falcon running people over with a car is fun, but it doesn't actually seem that awesome.

I am VERY pleased with the work they did on Ganondorf. He still feels a lot like Falcon, but the overall flavor of his moves is far more 'I'm badass and evil" than "I'm a poorly considered clone"

Archmage

Unread postby Archmage » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:47 pm

Phil and I did some online multiplay tonight; once he fixed his wireless, the gameplay was nice and smooth, though his erroneously being connected to his neighbor's shitty wifi resulted in the first couple games being unplayably laggy.

Right now I'm taking a break, but I'll be around for games later, particularly tomorrow. If you want to Smash, or want to organize a group Brawl, hit me up on AIM; I'll probably be interested. The Wii is my roommate's, though, so she gets first dibs if she's using it.

Also, I am adding people's Brawl codes to the Discussion Forum thread for wii IDs/gamertags/etc for easy access.

WillBaseton

Unread postby WillBaseton » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:37 am

As Brian said, we had some interesting matches today, including such silliness as dodging Sheik's Final Smash with Wario's bike, two Lucarios being blown up by the same bob-omb, one match in which I missed with Ganondorf's final smash four times in a row, and finally the first time I've ever seen a KO with Wario's Fart.

I love this game. Even if it's lacking one or two characters I would've liked to have seen in it, it just adds up so well it's hard to rip on it for anything.

That being said, I've added every Brawl code mentioned thus far in the thread. I'm ready for challenges now.

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:47 am

I might be interested, sometime later today or perhaps tomorrow. I had to cancel my D&D game today because I don't have six hours to spare for planning and the game (what with a paper due tomorrow), but I totally have, like, two hours in there somewhere this afternoon.

This would require me to set up my roommate's Wii for multiplayer, though, which I think I can probably do.
"Tell you what, Leto, I won't fight with you. Zeus' wives are pretty tough customers. You have my permission to boast openly that you have beaten the daylights out of me."

Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin

Unread postby Molokidan » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:28 pm

I don't know if people want this turning into a FC trading thread, but mine is 4253-3376-1124, so let us brawl the night away.
"Well slap a dead fish on me and call me Molokidan!"

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:21 pm

My roommate's Wii is now set up for playing online, but I won't give out his friend code in a public forum because it ain't my Wii. When I get my own I will.

Archmage

Unread postby Archmage » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:19 pm

I've got the day off from work, so I intend to sit around and play video games. If anyone wants to Brawl this evening slash afternoon, shoot me an IM.

Previous

Return to Kotoki's Bar and Inn