I'm sure you've already heard it, but...

Mmm, spam. Light discussion and silliness!

Moderators: BrainWalker, FlamingDeth, PriamNevhausten

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

I'm sure you've already heard it, but...

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:17 pm

pd Rydia

oh come ON, I'm listening to music

Unread postby pd Rydia » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:37 pm

Summarize what I'm too lazy to listen to?

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:41 pm

Wil Wheaton's PAX keynote speech on the awesomeness of gaming. You'll feel better about yourself at the end...

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:42 pm

Wow, what a short transcript!

Glad I didn't waste my time on it.

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:07 am

Aw, Dia, you went and trivialized Chuck's whole topic. D:

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:08 am

The only way it could be moreso is if said transcript were linked, and then minimalistically summarized.
"You haven't told me what I'm looking for."
"Anything that might be of interest to Slitscan. Which is to say, anything that might be of interest to Slitscan's audience. Which is best visualized as a vicious, lazy, profoundly ignorant, perpetually hungry organism craving the warm god-flesh of the anointed. Personally I like to imagine something the size of a baby hippo, the color of a week-old boiled potato, that lives by itself, in the dark, in a double-wide on the outskirts of Topeka. It's covered with eyes and it sweats constantly. The sweat runs into those eyes and makes them sting. It has no mouth, Laney, no genitals, and can only express its mute extremes of murderous rage and infantile desire by changing the channels on a universal remote. Or by voting in presidential elections."
--Colin Laney and Kathy Torrance, William Gibson's Idoru

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:15 am

Well, I kinda wanted to know what was up, but I also kinda didn't want to sit through a podcast/soundfile of whatever sort. I guess I can't have my cake and eat it, too.

Stupid cake.

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:34 pm

God fucking dammit. You're going to make me produce my own transcript of this, aren't you.

*gets to work*

edit: Okay, here's the first few minutes. I absolutely refuse to work on it any further until I can get a decent fucking word processing program that doesn't delete the leading space along with the word when I do ctrl-backspace. Expect results tomorrow.
"Anything that might be of interest to Slitscan. Which is to say, anything that might be of interest to Slitscan's audience. Which is best visualized as a vicious, lazy, profoundly ignorant, perpetually hungry organism craving the warm god-flesh of the anointed. Personally I like to imagine something the size of a baby hippo, the color of a week-old boiled potato, that lives by itself, in the dark, in a double-wide on the outskirts of Topeka. It's covered with eyes and it sweats constantly. The sweat runs into those eyes and makes them sting. It has no mouth, Laney, no genitals, and can only express its mute extremes of murderous rage and infantile desire by changing the channels on a universal remote. Or by voting in presidential elections."

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:59 pm

(cheering)

Thank you. My name is Wil Wheaton, Jack Thompson can suck my balls.

(cheering)

I should point out that today's keynote address has been rated MA by the ESRB. If you have a problem with that, please go fuck yourself.

Okay. In all seriousness. My name is Wil Wheaton, and I am a gamer. (cheers) Like everyone here, I am here because I love gaming. I have lived through two home console crashes, the rise and fall of the arcade; I have even played Nightwatch on Sega CD. I remember when Game Boys were just black and kind of a yellow pea soup kind of green, and I own every Atari 2600 game ever released, and I keep them right here on this USB key. (cheering)

What I really wanna do today is tell you all a couple of stories about growing up in the early console and arcade years, and examine the notion that video games are some sort of antisocial menace to society. And by examine, I mean throw it in the back of a stolen car, fuck its brains out for health, and then beat it up and take my money back.

To get us started, I am going to throw out some gaming references so we can see what generations are represented in this room. So feel free to holler out if you get any of these. (person shouts) Awesome. Some of you remember a time when there were no games!

It is very dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue. (loud shouting)

Would you like your possessions identified? (shouting)

You have died of dysentery. (loud shouting)

Wizard needs food badly! (shouting)

Beware, I live! (some shouting)

Our princess is in another castle! (Hooting)

The bomb has been planted. (some shouting)

They don't really want you to play Free Bird. They're just mocking you. (shouting)

My point in that little exercise of making you cheer is this. We may be from different generations, but if your response is any indication, we have a lot in common beyond our love of Penny Arcade.

Now, some of you may remember me from such films as Stand By Me, where I held a tiny leech in my hand and other places, and before you ask, yes, they were totally real. Or maybe from Python, where I was eaten by a 25-foot snake, which was also totally real. You may remember me from such television shows as Star Trek: The Next Generation, where I wore a jumpsuit that was totally awesome. You might remember me from Battle of the Syndicated Jumpsuit-Wearing Genius Children, where I wore dolphin shorts and a tank top. That was less awesome.

But don't let these suave roles fool you. I am a huge geek in every possible geeky way, and nothing brings me as much joy as gaming. I love card games, war games, euro games, role playing games, Cheapass games, and of course, video games. I do not love holographic orgasm games forced on me by buttheaded aliens when I'm just trying to get into Ashley Judd's jumpsuit.

Like many older geeks, my gaming experience started not at a LAN party or a Wiitreat--Wiitreat incidentally is a term I've just coined, so if there are any Nintendo representatives who would like to buy it from me for Wii points, we can talk when I'm done. My gaming experience began in a dusty liquor store in the San Fernando valley. I lived there, but the valley sucks, we all know that. And so does the West side. Yeah, that's right west siders! Take your traffic and shove it up your Santa Monica!

In the spring of 1980, my parents went to visit two of their more annoying hippie friends. They dragged me along to play with their son, who was just a couple of years older than me. If you've read my blog, or my book, Just A Geek, you already know this kid. He's the one who talked me into trading my awesome Death Star for his crappy Landspeeder. Asshole.

A little while after we arrived, our parents emerged from the closed door from the den in a really cool cloud of dense smoke, and they sent us around the corner to the liquor store to pick up some barbecue potato chips, man. When we arrived, we saw this huge cabinet with a television inside, that looked like it came from the future. There were spaceships on the sides, and all of these buttons on a brightly colored panel that appeared to control some kind of ship that flew around the screen and shot lasers at rocks. Wait a minute, those aren't rocks! Those are asteroids! It says Asteroids, right on the top! This is kind of like that Sears pong thing that dad has, but it's so much bigger! What the heck is this thing? We jumped around the cabinet for a while, waving bones in the air while Also Sprach Zarathustra played.

Now, to you damn kids today who have grown up in a world where there are eleventy billion television channels, cell phones smaller than a briefcase, and internet that is more like a series of tubes than a big truck, it may be difficult for you to understand why we look at what was obviously an arcade game and have no idea what it was. It may be even more difficult for you to understand why we got so excited about a black-and-white vector graphics game.

Well, if you think about the first time you played Halo, or the first time you played Grand Theft Auto 3, or the first time you saw a naked girl without a monitor between the two of you—and don't feel bad, two out of three is not anything to be ashamed of; and really, if you haven't played Halo, where have you been for the last ten years—burned into the monitor was an interesting proposition. One coin, one play. That seemed fair, and it didn't take a lot of convincing for us to plunk down a quarter from our parents' change. It was, after all, very unlikely they would notice one missing quarter in their, uh, distracted condition.

15 minutes and 4 dollars of One Coin One Play later, it became slightly less likely we were going to avoid being busted, but we didn't care. Because the machine had been turned off the night before, we'd been able to record high scores on many of our games, a string of WIL and ASS ran all the way down the screen, and it gave us a feeling of achievement normally reserved for report card season. For the record, I was WIL.

On our way back to the house, we chattered about this exciting new technology.

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:13 am

So, uh, where's the part I'm supposed to feel all warm and fuzzy about?

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:40 am

It isn't done yet.

This isn't to say that I have hope that such a part exists. But it's currently at about 15%.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:04 am

Holee shit.

I'll listen to it! But only because Priam's efforts got me interested.

Chuck should take note--Priam provided details. Details are interesting.

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:58 pm

I suck at making people like stuff...

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:32 am

I have listened to the rest, and I have come to the conclusion that Cha's statement towards the beginning of this thread should instead read "You'll feel better about yourself at the end...if you felt that your gaming hobby was an aberration and a genuinely dark and dangerous sociopathy-inducing activity."

Because to the rest of us, he's saying what we already know in terms we have all used with evidence that is plain to see.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:27 am

Yeah.

It was kinda interesting to hear about the arcade and NES and stuff, though. Up until I was in my teens, I wasn't really involved in the commercial aspect of video gaming--our game systems and games just "came from the store." Game purchases were arranged or made by my brothers, and I just played the games (which appeared at the house by a magic not unlike that which cleaned my clothes). :F

Seethe
In Despair

Unread postby Seethe » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:56 pm

Is it sociopathic to spend hours on end doing nothing but watching reploids getting dropped on a conveyor belt, smashed by a big smashy thing, and falling into lava?

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:19 am

If you're still not sure about the awesomeness of this speech, which I can confirm, try looking for the few clips that are avvailable on youtube, such as this one.

Return to Kotoki's Bar and Inn