Kate's thread of really random shit

Mmm, spam. Light discussion and silliness!

Moderators: BrainWalker, FlamingDeth, PriamNevhausten

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:14 pm

Besyanteo wrote:http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/zeropunctuation/1368-Zero-Punctuation-Psychonauts
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/article ... n-BioShock
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/article ... le-Rundown

I love Zero Punctuation so hard~

Zero Punctuation is, indeed, awesome.

Have you checked out the YouTube reviews he did before starting up at the Escapist?

Fable: The Lost Chapters and The Darkness (Demo).

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:39 pm

I have! Jak showed me those as well as the Heavenly Sword/RE5 review.

Edited to fix table-streching - The Management

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:58 pm

The R. Kelly song at the end?

PURE GOLD.

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:23 pm

Besyanteo wrote:I have! Jak showed me those as well as the Heavenly Sword/RE5 review.

edit: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/article ... ther-Stuff

Yes, indeed! I first came across the links through Yahtzee's topic on YCS, and was delighted to find that all of the above were chock full of comic gold (particularly the bit with "Twing Twang").

He also promised that he would be doing a 'review' on the craptacular comic Ctrl+Alt+Del. Needless to say, I'm looking forward to it.

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:59 pm

Let me also note that since the Escapist site is full of shitty processor-hogging ads and shit, the videos have embed code available for use in a journal or forum or whatever, accessible by pushing the Menu button at the bottom right of the video window.
"You haven't told me what I'm looking for."
"Anything that might be of interest to Slitscan. Which is to say, anything that might be of interest to Slitscan's audience. Which is best visualized as a vicious, lazy, profoundly ignorant, perpetually hungry organism craving the warm god-flesh of the anointed. Personally I like to imagine something the size of a baby hippo, the color of a week-old boiled potato, that lives by itself, in the dark, in a double-wide on the outskirts of Topeka. It's covered with eyes and it sweats constantly. The sweat runs into those eyes and makes them sting. It has no mouth, Laney, no genitals, and can only express its mute extremes of murderous rage and infantile desire by changing the channels on a universal remote. Or by voting in presidential elections."
--Colin Laney and Kathy Torrance, William Gibson's Idoru

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:31 am

Fortunately, I haven't had any of such problems.

Every Wednesday, Zero Punctuation is updated, and if you folk don't throw up a link, I'll make an effort to do so.

This week, it's Tomb Raider: Anniversary.

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:43 am

And let's not forget how awesome prequels are.

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:52 am

Priam is full of useful information!
Anime is kind of like fish in that it is better the less "fishy" it is.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:53 pm

PriamNevhausten wrote:Let me also note that since the Escapist site is full of shitty processor-hogging ads and shit, the videos have embed code available for use in a journal or forum or whatever, accessible by pushing the Menu button at the bottom right of the video window.

(If you're using Firefox) May I recommend AdBlock Plus to you? :D

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:47 pm

Adblock plus? And here I am using regular Adblock. Tell me, what is better? D:

Also: Zero Punctuation is awesome.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:49 pm

From the FAQ:

The development of Adblock pretty much stopped in 2004. When more and more people demanded improvements Michael McDonald came up with Adblock Plus 0.5 — basically a version of Adblock with whitelisting, filter subscriptions and several other useful features.

This version of Adblock Plus was still based on Adblock, which set hard limits to improvements. Quality of Adblock being… shall we say… less than adequate a complete rewrite was desperately needed. That came with Adblock Plus 0.6 — a completely new extension with focus on being easy to use, stable and secure. For various reasons many enhancements from Adblock Plus 0.5 didn’t make it into the original release of Adblock Plus 0.6 but this changed with Adblock Plus 0.6.1.

And also History of Adblock.

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:02 pm

One thing that has not been mentioned in the thread or on the webpage (at least, within easy access) is that the thing blocks Flash ads as well as image ads. This is a critical piece of information, and is what I consider its greatest asset.

Also, Cha needs to read posts that were like four posts before him.
"Anything that might be of interest to Slitscan. Which is to say, anything that might be of interest to Slitscan's audience. Which is best visualized as a vicious, lazy, profoundly ignorant, perpetually hungry organism craving the warm god-flesh of the anointed. Personally I like to imagine something the size of a baby hippo, the color of a week-old boiled potato, that lives by itself, in the dark, in a double-wide on the outskirts of Topeka. It's covered with eyes and it sweats constantly. The sweat runs into those eyes and makes them sting. It has no mouth, Laney, no genitals, and can only express its mute extremes of murderous rage and infantile desire by changing the channels on a universal remote. Or by voting in presidential elections."

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:25 pm

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:51 pm

And I used to think that website was a useless pile of crap.

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:52 pm

It still is a useless pile of crap. It just happens to have one or two bright spots.

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:17 am

Like a diamond flushed into the sewer, collegehumour can occassionally reward you for putting up with all the sh*t.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:55 am

Deeum

Unread postby Deeum » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:30 pm

Judgement armor is still a fuckin' cool set of armor.

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:47 pm

As ridiculous as WoW shoulderpads are, I really have to respect the effort and skill on the part of those involved in bringing that crazy thing into the real world.

Awexome!

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:48 am

New Zero Punctuation in case any of you forgot to check on Wednesday.

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:57 am

That's kind of odd that the embed tags do not work here. Just like the a tags! That is a very odd thing.

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:14 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwC36OO3IXQ

Linked to me by Dragongurl. Actually a fairly impressive display on the guitar. Also, see the related video links. I especially like the Fur Elise performance.

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:30 am

It might be better if they were actually guitars, but as it stands that is some decent fingerwork. Sounds good, too, for the most part.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:39 pm

PriamNevhausten wrote:That's kind of odd that the embed tags do not work here. Just like the a tags! That is a very odd thing.

The a tags work fine for me. Are you sure you didn't have "Disable HTML" checked?

And embed's disabled because there's still a noticeable number of folks on the forum that use 56k, so I don't want to make things too rough on them.

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:19 pm

PriamNevhausten wrote:It might be better if they were actually guitars, but as it stands that is some decent fingerwork. Sounds good, too, for the most part.

Huh? Those're guitars. He's still no Michael Angelo Batio, despite his chocobo charm.

Edit: I just noticed they're (ugh) left-handed guitars. As lame as they are, they still count as guitars, Priam.

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:21 pm

Holy Damn at Cap's link.

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:46 pm

How are those real guitars? He's not plucking any strings. They're electronic replicas of guitars, made to look like guitars (presumably so that guitarists' skills can be used with these devices), hooked up to a synth that gives the guitars a voice. Mechanically speaking, they are more like a harpsichord than a guitar.

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:01 pm

Mechanically speaking they're electric guitars with either action lowered or with the gain or volume way up so he can play them entirely with tapping.

Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Unread postby Spleen » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:21 pm

I've seen people play guitars that way, doing precisely what Kyle suggested this person did.
"Tell you what, Leto, I won't fight with you. Zeus' wives are pretty tough customers. You have my permission to boast openly that you have beaten the daylights out of me."
-Hermes, the Iliad (Stanley Lombardo, translator) Book 21

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:14 am

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:45 pm

There are very few good things that have come from the LOLc....you know, I can't even type it out in good conscience. That thing. The good things that have come from it are contained within, or else linked, here.

Edit: I figured out what it is with the A tags. Doublequotes around the URL are not optional on the board, where elsewhere they most certainly are.

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:31 pm

Lolcode, if I recall, is just some pre-existing language with the commands reworded. It's nothing interesting.

An interesting language is Whitespace.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:48 pm

According to that site, there is no specification for lolcode. The idea of that site is for people to write compilers or interpreters keeping in the spirit of the idea, he doesn't have an actual language definition up for them to use.

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:42 am

Animation graduate students make some neat stuff.

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:08 pm

... uh... c-cool? o.O

I'm sorry, that was well done and all, but it's just slightly too morbid to give a wholehearted thumbs up...

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:39 pm

Morbid? Man, I don't know what you're talking about. That was awesome.

NamagomiMk0

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:13 pm

Agreeing with BW and Priam here. Just plain awesome.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:42 pm

This is a bandwagon worth jumping on. That was awesome.

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:52 pm

I can understand the Morbid comment if you take the cartoon in the context of that "thud" at the very end working with real physics. Rather than the cartoon physics that allow a kiwi to mount a forest of fir trees onto the vertical side of a cliff.

So yeah. I understand! I just disagree. =D

Edit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNu8u_Kpa00
This on the other hand...

FF Fanatic 80
Driver of the OOC Bus

Unread postby FF Fanatic 80 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:31 pm

http://pbfcomics.com/?cid=PBF220-Passed_On.jpg#205

Haven't been to this site in awhile, nice to see it's still disturbing & amusing. =O

PreviousNext

Return to Kotoki's Bar and Inn