Zany Halloween Roleplay of, er, zaniness

Mmm, spam. Light discussion and silliness!

Moderators: BrainWalker, FlamingDeth, PriamNevhausten

Reako Somner
Always sleepy, never asleep

Zany Halloween Roleplay of, er, zaniness

Unread postby Reako Somner » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:39 am

So, it's been awhile since I made random lists for games that don't exist or never get played, and halloween is coming up and all, (plus Sugoicon happens on Oct 28-30 right? I'll have to check) so, while I was bored doing my job at work, I've been thinking about THIS

"The Cliche Survival Horror RPG"

You play as one of the usual characters that appear in B horror movies, bad games, and other such nonsense! Your job is to either escape or defeat the situation, or die trying. GMs are to be merciless, and if the dice kills off the entire party, then them's the ropes. Guess the movie had a bad ending? Regardless! Choose your Joe Average Individual Persona! It is sure to offend people of various backgrounds.

The Stoner Protagonist

You are some teenager who's currently failing High School and loving it. You always act (are) high, and when monsters attack, you decide to fight them like a real man! Or maybe it's just the drugs. (Can use Light and Medium stuff) (10 Bravery)

Base Modifiers: -1 on d20 rolls that involve senses. If it's not a d20 though you should be okay!

+3 on "Freak Out" checks. The loss of a few braincells have made it harder to scare you apparently.

Base Traits;

Natural Leader: For some reason people feel more confident around you, you seem to know what you're doing (even though you really don't) Everyone around the Stoner Protagonist gains +1 to Freak Out checks.

Token Black Guy

Insert lots of slang I don't remember here. Etc. You're African American, and that makes you hardcore. Whether you're the star football player, ex-marine, or just plain rock, you're the baddest dude around. This also makes monsters want to go for you first, though. (Can use Medium and Heavy stuff) (Infinite Bravery)

Base Modifiers: The TBG has alot of muscle and thus gains +3 to all attempts to move, hold, or lift something.

The TBG has a consistant 20% chance for a monster's attack to never even effect him.

Base Traits;

Hardcore: You can't Freak Out. You've got everything under control, and are kickin' ass while you're at it.

Minority: There may only be one TBG in the current party.

Monster Racism: For some reason, alot of monsters always go for the black dude first, thus the term "Black guy always dies first". Monsters will always target the TBG at the beginning of encounters.

The Special Kid

Despite the fact you're still in grade school, you're rather mature for your age, and, of course, have some kind of special mysterious power in tune with whatever the monsters are or what they're weak against. You also see dead people. It's rather unnerving. (Can only use Light stuff) (7 Bravery)

Base Modifiers: You'd think monsters would want your tender youthful flesh more, but they often fail to notice you. Enemies have a -3 to spotting you.

Base Traits;

Special: You come with a supernatural power of some kind. Can be anything you want, so long as the GM allows it. Overuse of it will be punished.

Last To Go: Unless you were a dumbass and wandered off on your own, monsters will always target you last.

Dimwit Hot Babe

Beautiful as a nymph, smart as a rock. This character doesn't have much to provide, freaks out the easiest, and specializes in running off alone directly into danger. You know you want it. If you survive a game playing this, you have godmoding priveliges. (Can only use Light stuff) (2 Bravery)

Base Modifiers: In situations that cause a "Freak Out", you recieve a lovely -5 to the resist check. Go you!

Also any attempts at using a weapon is -2

Base Traits;

GM's Bitch: Upon Freak Out the GM will always force you into a dangerous situation that will likely kill you off.

Totally Hot: You can make males do anything you want. It's sort of awesome.

The Red Herring

The bane of metagamers everywhere. Those who wish to be a Red Herring tell the GM in secret. Only you and the GM will know you are The Red Herring, and you will often play the part of another class or NPC, seemingly double-crossing or dooming the party. (equipment and bravery set to meet GM's desires)

Base Modifiers: Whatever the GM decides to give you to meet his or her needs

Base Traits;

Suspicious Creepy Guy: You aren't the main antagonist are you? You aren't leading us to a government laboratory are you? ARE YOU? Stop throwing things through windows and busting down doors we're about to open, too. It's freaking us out, man.

Evil is Relative: You dress, talk, and laugh like a villian. It just comes natural. You don't know why.

The Guncrazy WWII Buff/Ex-Military

You've been watching war movies since you were a wee lad, and trained at the shooting range every day. You're always itching to get some action, but don't like today's military. Now that monsters are on the loose, you can finally fire all these beauties and not get arrested for it! Sweet. Still, your weapon of choice uses ammo, and there's not always alot of that stuff...(Can use Medium and Heavy stuff) (15 Bravery) (Start with two guns of your choice, within reason)

Base Modifiers: If it's a gun you will hit with it. There's no need to roll. Unless it's some crazy zwee alien thing. Then you get a +10. Work with me here.

Base Traits;

Blaze of Glory: (requires ammunition) If a monster lands a killing blow on the guncrazy guy, he will yell at the others to run and go out in a grand blaze of glory, taking every monster on the scene out with him. Even if there's 100 of them. Seriously.

Climactic Return: If the GM wishes, if guncrazy guy has "died", but no one was around to see it, he will reappear at the most dire hour and save your ass, killing everything in the room. Except the party of course.

Gun Master: If it's a gun, you can use it.

Bad Stuff

Bravery: Characters have so many bravery points. Seeing something freaky, being in dangerous situations, or all around having a lack of self security will cost BP at the GM's descresion. When they hit 0, the character will have to resist freaking out. Roll a 11 or higher, and you succeed. But if you don't.....

FREAK OUT: The character has completely lost it, anxiety attacks, self-preservation going haywire, losing grip with reality.... when you freak out, the GM gets to decide what your next two actions will be. After Freak Out ends or is resisted, Bravery restores.

Undead zombie vampire ghoul: You've become undead due to circumstance. Whether or not you're a mindless killer or still friendly with the party is up to you.

Alien Impregnation: Yeah, this sucks. Try to avoid it.

I can't think of anything else to put here really.

TRAITS

All characters get to pick two traits to go with thier base ones. Most have positive AND negative effects.

Apathy of the Night: You cake on the makeup, dress like a goth and just don't care. Undead have to succeed a spot check to even know you're alive.

Conspiracy Theorist: Heavily researching various materials on the internet has caused you to be very in the know with government and science ne'er-do-wells. If the problem at hand is caused by either of those, you'll know. However your research has also caused you to be severely paranoid of being anywhere near government or science installations. You will lose Bravery rapidly if you have to enter one.

Paranoid: Overall distrustful of everyone except your closest friends. Never check dark places for fear of monsters, always peak around corners and look at a room or situation closely until you KNOW it's safe. Everyone else will tend to think you're a wuss or just weird.

McGuyver: If you come across a Radioshack, owner of this trait is allowed to BS any crazy contraption of thier choice, at GM's descresion. (This trait can only be used once)

Boy/Girl Scout: Good sense of direction, without the need of a compass or map. You also know the general area pretty well.

Hacker God: Electronic Security's got nothin' on you. The Government hates you. Bastard.

Scavanger: You have a knack for finding useful stuff left around.

First Aid: You know how to treat and bandage non-lifethreatening wounds, have CPR mastered, etc.

Intimidating: You look like someone no one wants to cross. You can force people to give you stuff, or muscle some information out of alien or government flunkies.

Connections: in the goods with someone of importance or supply. This trait can be used once to get anything. (Requires a form of outside contact; cellphone internet etc)(Can only be used once)

Supplier: Have the ability to carry the party's entire stash so they don't have to. It even comes with an awesome laugh and pocket-ridden trenchcoat!

Vehicle Specialization: Know how pilot vehicles civilians usually cannot use, such as planes, trains, and crazy automobiles.

Well that's all I've got for this thing right now. Please express interest, distaste, additional ideas, and whatnot.

I haven't decided on how HP or possible leveling will work yet. For now, I leave that up to GM creativity.

BrainWalker
✔+

Re: Zany Halloween Roleplay of, er, zaniness

Unread postby BrainWalker » Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:14 pm

Dude. This is some sweet-ass stuff right here. A lot of that made me smile on the inside. Still it seems like there could be a little more variety in character options. I mean, there's only one specifically female option, and the only other one that doesn't cater specifically to dudes is Red Herring.

If I may be so bold:

Bookworm:

You're near the top of your class, and totally unpopular. That's okay with you, though... you tend to enjoy a good read over the company of most of your peers. Morons. You're probably the only person who really doesn't get along with the Stoner Protagonist. At least, not until he does something heroic. (Can only use light stuff.) (6 Bravery)

Base Modifiers: On Freak Out, flip a coin. If it's heads, for your next two turns, instead of the GM getting to decide on your actions, you back up and grind the gears in your brain until logic previals. This might piss off the GM, so try not to Freak Out too much. Oh, and any attempt to use a weapon is -1. Nerd.

Base Traits;

Jaded: You don't approve of the use of illegal substances, and you don't care for jock-worship. You don't gain the benefit of Stoner Protagonist's "Natural Leader" trait until you are thoroughly impressed by his ability to lead.

Observant: You're good at connecting the dots. You have a +4 bonus to rolls involving the senses and logic. You know, like figuring out that the scary ghost things aren't phased by artificial light but they hate firelight, or noticing that the creepy kid you could swear you just saw down that hallway looks a lot like that portrait that was hanging in the dining room. That sort of thing.

Pushover: No matter how much sense you make, everyone else still has to pass a check before they'll listen to you. Anyone who doesn't get at least 2 on a d4 must disregard whatever you just said. Even if the party does the exact opposite of what you suggest, you have to tag along, because you don't want to be alone.

Hippy:

You're a tree-hugging liberal free-spirit, and kind of a wuss. You enjoy peace, tranquility, flowers, and bongos, and abhor violence and injustie. But, since you actually give a damn about people, you're not above getting your hands dirty when push comes to shove. It kinda takes a while to kick in, though. (Can only use light stuff) (7 Bravery)

Base Modifiers: +3 to rolls involving the senses. Yours haven't been dulled by days spent sitting around and watching TV.

Base Traits;

Herbalism: You'll know if any plants you happen to come across are likely to be good for you or kill you. You can also whip up some ghetto bandage, compress, antivenom, or other such medicine from useful plants nearby, or that you picked up along the way, but only if the immediate situation calls for it. No preventative medicine. You can only do this once.

Power of Heart: Whenever a party member is about to die, you gain +5 to pretty much anything you attempt to do to save/defend them. If you see someone die, you Freak Out, but you get +1 (for each one) in combat situations for the rest of the game. If you're the last person alive, you get +5 to everything you do. Their sacrifices will not be in vain!

Scavanger: You have a knack for finding useful stuff left around.

Kind of a Bitch:

You've had kind of a rough home life, but rather than be dragged down by it you try your hardest to rise above it. You're a very driven person, and sometimes that gets on people's nerves. You're not as hot as the hot chick, not as smart as the bookworm, not as popular as the stoner protagonist and not as fit as the token black guy, and all that bugs you. You don't really want to hurt people, but you just can't stand it when people aren't doing everything they can. (Can use light and medium stuff) (8 bravery)

Base Modifiers: You don't take no crap from no-body. You gain +3 to unarmed combat, and +2 to any attempt to use a weapon.

When you Freak Out, it lasts an additional 2 turns, unless you get smacked out of it. Congratulations, you've got issues.

Base Traits;

Anger Management: You tend to let people know when they're slacking off or when they did something stupid. This really, really gets on people's nerves. If everyone gets pissed off at you, you storm off in a huff and get separated from the party in a manner of the GM's choosing. You can attempt to drag one party member along with you. Try the bookworm; they're pushovers.

Improvisational Weaponry: You've smacked a lot of people with a lot of things, and so you're better than most people at using whatever random objects you can find nearby as weapons. Like, a chair, or a bust of Van Buren, or a length of barbed wire. +2 to attempts to use anything (within reason) that is not a weapon as a weapon.

Intimidating: You look like someone no one wants to cross. You can force people to give you stuff, or muscle some information out of alien or government flunkies.

Unassuming Local Guy / The Underdog

You're just a regular guy. Or girl. You have no idea what you're doing here or why you're hanging out with all these wierdos in some creepy place. Probably because you're a local and you know about both the area in general and the place you're going specifically. How do you get yourself into these things? (Can use light and medium stuff) (5 bravery)

Base Modifiers: None. Hey, didn't I just say you're just a regular guy?

Base Traits;

Dumb Luck: If the party is being annoying and indecisive and milling about unproductively, flip a coin. If it's tails, the GM has to use your character to introduce some Deus Ex Machina and get things moving again. Let's say you happen to lean against a wall that just happens to be fake, or you lose your footing outside and fall down a hill but end up somewhere important, or you mill over to a random window to look outside only to be greeted by a zombie face on the other side. It won't be fatal, but it doesn't have to be pretty.

Voice of Reason: You're the only person that doesn't have to pass a check to listen to what Pushovers have to say. You can also force the party to pass a second "Pushover" check if they decide to ignore the Pushover's sage advice. You are the party's last line of defense against stupidity.

Boy/Girl Scout: Good sense of direction, without the need of a compass or map. You also know the general area pretty well.

I kind of gave everyone two original traits and then one from the general list that works for them. I figure "Pushover" could be a general trait. Thoughts? <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=brainwalker>BrainWalker</A]&nbsp; Image at: 10/4/05 15:20

Celeste of Elvenhame

Unread postby Celeste of Elvenhame » Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:22 pm

You need a token hispanic butch woman. Every horror movie with military characters seems to have one. <p>-----Celeste of Elvenhame--------

</p>

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:32 pm

... The only one I can think of that has a butch hispanic woman is Aliens. And I think one token minority is enough. :{ After a while it stops being token and starts being a benetol ad.

*flips Stewie a quarter* <p>
<div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

Celeste of Elvenhame

Unread postby Celeste of Elvenhame » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:13 am

Off the top of my head I can name also Resident Evil Apocalypse. Ane we need a token female minority. <p>-----Celeste of Elvenhame--------

</p>

Kai
Fighting the Iron Law of Oligarchy Since 2006

Unread postby Kai » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:39 am

The token female minority can be Asian. And wear yellow, for maximum stereotyposity. It worked for Power Rangers, it can work for this, I'm sure. <p>-------------------------
"It has always been the prerogative of children and half-wits to point out that the emperor has no clothes. But the half-wit remains a half-wit and the emperor remains an emperor." -- Sandman "The Kindly Ones" </p>

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:07 am

I venture we need a Police cliche. Actually, on further thought, it should be a Trait. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=priamnevhausten>PriamNevhausten</A]&nbsp; Image at: 10/5/05 1:07

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:09 am

We need a paranoid yet surprisingly badass scientist up in here.

The Maltese One

.:O

Unread postby The Maltese One » Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:54 am

I claim the old man with the leather trenchcoat, bowler hat, and British accent.

Uncle Pervy

Re: .:O

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:05 am

A Token Black Guy power should be the ability to make up words on the drop of a hat. <p>---------------------------

ReakoSomner: regardless, I was poor, and in need of diamonds</p>

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:07 am

This idea appeals to me greatly. Though I fear I have little more to add. <p>Centuries of threats of "I'll turn you all to stone!" and "I'll knock you all down!" have caused Domans to develop an instinct to form small groups. For safety, I assure you. – Keir</p>

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:44 pm

I'm not sure the ability to make up words on the spot is a character ability so much as it is good roleplaying. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

The Great Nevareh

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:53 pm

You don't have anything relating to the occult up there? Gosh!

If I may:

Occultist

Ooooh! Spooky! You're the person who doesn't "fit in" and thus tries very, very, VERY hard (periodically succeeding) at coming at the whole "social situations" thing from the exact opposite direction of trying to scare people into liking you. On the plus side, this means you actually KNOW a thing or two about fighting zombies/werewolves/goth teens. (Light, Medium, and Freaky Occult stuff) (7 Bravery)

Base Modifiers
+1 versus Freak Out by virtue of continuously having your nose in some book filled with gristly images.

However, encountering creepy stuff in books and actually doing it in reality are two different things: thus, an Occultist Freaks Out until someone calms them down- they completely go to pieces.

Base Traits
Occult Master: Occultists almost always know the correct way to kill something. Fighting a Zombie Werewolf Vampire Ninja? Sprinkle some Flaming Garlic Silver Fly Paper around!

Socially Awkward: Occultists don't gain any bonuses or suffer any disadvantages based on whoever else they're around.

S/He who Breaks the Fourth Wall

Holy crap! Zombies? Cool! It's just like that game I once played! I wonder if there are any die rolls going on? You're completely disconnected from the reality of the situation and you think only in terms of Survival-Horror clichés. Of course, you think so strongly in terms of Survival-Horror clichés that your conviction sometimes convinces reality to follow along. (Can use either light, medium, or heavy stuff, but ONLY one of them) (Bravery Unlimited/4)

Base Modifiers
Look at me now!: Your complete disregard of fear and horror is sometimes inspiring to your allies, who when seeing you not Freak Out calm down more swiftly from their own Freaking Out status.

Synergy: S/He who Breaks the Fourth Wall gets +1 to everything if there is another S/He who Breaks the Fourth Wall in the party due to them getting together and planning everything out accordingly. However, they also suffer the same faults as though they were the same person.

Base Traits
Proficiency Cliché: Because everyone has to be able to fight in SOME way in order for it to be an honest-to-goodness survival-horror scenario, He who Breaks the Fourth Wall is automatically proficient with any ONE kind of equipment and no others. This may make no logical sense and yet somehow it doesn't matter.

Plothole: Once and only once, S/He who Breaks the Fourth Wall can convince reality that His or Her point of view is the correct one and the one that reality is following at the moment is incorrect. Thus, S/He who Breaks the Fourth Wall can cause anything somewhat beneficial that has a direct relation to solving a problem at hand to suddenly appear in a mildly obscured place nearby.

Not Real: Your disregard for reality is so intense that even the most horrible things are perfectly okay. Provided nothing that has the ability to shake your self-centered conviction that you're in a video game or a movie occurs, you cannot Freak Out. Provided something of the like DOES happen, you become a special wuss since the heavy hammer of reality is hitting you HARD. After a suitable amount of time there is a potential that Not Real returns to effect. <p>[---------------------------]
"There is great disorder under Heaven, and the situation is excellent."
-Mao Tse-Tung

"I eat the talking bees because I am George Washington Christ"
-From "Bob the Ball"</p>

Return to Kotoki's Bar and Inn