It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:21 pm

News News of Discussion Forum

Site map of Discussion Forum » Forum : Discussion Forum

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

World Leaders Acting Like Adults?!

Obama Plays Peacemaker in French-Chinese Smackdown Over Tax Havens.

<blockquote><p>The issue: Sarko wanted "a list of non-compliant jurisdictions," tones that allow tax havens, he senior official said. "Other countries wanted it too, but (Sarkozy)&nbsp; was the most outspoken."</p> <p>Sarkozy specifically was pushing for a list from the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) to be included in the G-20 Leaders' Statement.</p> <p>Headquartered in Paris, the OECD has 30 member countries -- all capitalist democracies. ...
Read more : World Leaders Acting Like Adults?! | Views : 5427 | Replies : 0

RPGWW Recruitement ad on the RPG Directory

I was chatting with Ashley not too long ago about looking for a steampunk RP when she linked me to the RPG Directory. I asked her if RPGWW was advertised and she it was not. I thought that it would be a good idea, she agreed and a few days later, lo, with her help I drafted an ad based on their template.

We'd like some input from all ya'll (a more encompassing form of ...
Read more : RPGWW Recruitement ad on the RPG Directory | Views : 24831 | Replies : 29

Death Penalty Ban in New Mexico

<p>So, in New Mexico, there's a death penalty discussion going on.

The fact that the death penalty system is one of the most glaring and most tragic examples of institutionalized racism around wasn't enough to get people talking about getting rid of it. The fact that it reduces reporting of sex crimes by discouraging molestation victims from turning in criminals, and provides an incentive to rapists to kill their victims isn't enough to bother too ...
Read more : Death Penalty Ban in New Mexico | Views : 7095 | Replies : 2

Health in my Home State

Hoosiers are Not Well (Especially Around South Bend)
<p>http://jconline.com/article/20090312/NEWS09/90312012</p><blockquote><p>According to a wire report I saw in the Journal &amp; Courier, Indiana ranks 5th to last in a new nationwide survey of well-being that queries people on mental, physical and economic health. We are ahead of West Virginia, Kentucky, Mississippi, Ohio and Arkansas. Ohio surprises me, but the rest of those are traditionally dead-end states that Indiana probably doesn’t want to emulate. </p> <blockquote><p> The survey ...
Read more : Health in my Home State | Views : 5617 | Replies : 0

Entertaining twist with the US economic crisis

This is for folk like me who've maintained their sense of dark humor as the US tries to pick itself up during a huge economic downturn. The stimulus bill did pass, and it did so largely on the strength of one party's influence in Congress (both in the House and Senate). A few Republicans crossed the aisle to vote for it in the Senate, but mainly the minority party had no interest in the project ...
Read more : Entertaining twist with the US economic crisis | Views : 8001 | Replies : 5

Seeking homeowner advice!

So, after years of saying I'd like to get my own place, then slipping into angsty whines on AIM when it fell through...

Sorry Jason/Ashley/Shaun/Dia/, by the way =(

Anyway! Barring some kind of major screw up, it appears I will soon be the owner of a small two-bedroom condo! My offer was accepted, and I'm just waiting on the seller to review the purchase and sale docs. If there are no major ...
Read more : Seeking homeowner advice! | Views : 9954 | Replies : 12

Indiana State Politics Recap

So I've started following Indiana state politics. And it's absurd. I'm obviously not going to share any insider information (or at least, I wouldn't if I had any), but if you're following various blogs and whatnot, you'll get something like this:

Indiana has a billion and a half dollars it's been sitting on for a while. Meanwhile, our unemployment is a full point above the national average. Democrats are saying, "Hey, let's use that money ...
Read more : Indiana State Politics Recap | Views : 6570 | Replies : 2

Pres. Obama's Executive Orders

I know that there are people on here who are interested in American politics (whether they live here or not), but don't necessarily know where to look for things like this. So! Here's a rundown of what President Obama has started (at least the most thorough one I've seen, since a lot of places are still too arguing over the Chief Justice garbling the oath, and whether family planning resources help low-income families).

Executive Order ...
Read more : Pres. Obama's Executive Orders | Views : 7258 | Replies : 3

Why churches fear gay marriage

Why churches fear gay marriage

For author Richard Rodriguez, no one is talking about the real issues behind Proposition 8.

While conservative churches are busy trying to whip up another round of culture wars over same-sex marriage, Rodriguez says the real reason for their panic lies elsewhere: the breakdown of the traditional heterosexual family and the shifting role of women in society and the church itself. As the American family fractures and the majority of ...
Read more : Why churches fear gay marriage | Views : 6410 | Replies : 3

Ohioans!

Mom was going over our caller ID this morning, and noticed we had a missed call! Specifically, it was from the 14th of this month, from a "Joseph Baker" from a 614 area code, which is Columbus Ohio apparently (thank you internets~). Did someone from RPGWW try to call?
Read more : Ohioans! | Views : 6893 | Replies : 4

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 127608 • Total topics 4001 • Total members 141

Yalogank