It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:10 pm

News News of Discussion Forum

Site map of Discussion Forum » Forum : Discussion Forum

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Freelancin'

I don't know if I spelled that right.

So! After a pretty brutal couple of days of work after which my employment status was pretty much in the air, I went and offered my skills of an artist to a customer at work who was looking for some things done up for her sons birthday party. I may or may not have violated some ethics policies at my work place by doing this, but fuck ...
Read more : Freelancin' | Views : 10510 | Replies : 11

Stop RFK Jr.'s appointment

Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. is on the current list of potential appointees for President-elect Obama's cabinet. While RFK Jr. has had a very successful political career, the positions for which he's being considered are the EPA or the Department of the Interior.

This cannot be permitted to happen. Why? Because he's a total crank when it comes to science. He believes the vaccine/autism link is plausible and has praised antivaccination movement leaders Dan Olmsted and ...
Read more : Stop RFK Jr.'s appointment | Views : 5280 | Replies : 0

I HAS VOTED! HAS U?

Seriously, though, waited for an hour and a quarter to get into the voting station. Then had to explain to the electoral person that yes, there was more than one person with my surname, and got my ridiculously HUGE ballot (about 3 feet in length) to fill out. And what did my country reward me with? What prize do I get for doing my patriotic duty?

I got a sticker.

Awesome.
Read more : I HAS VOTED! HAS U? | Views : 26812 | Replies : 26

My life, updated!

So the RPGWW legacy post on the spam forum finally motivated me to write up what I've been doing for the past year or so in an attempt to get back in touch with some friends who I have not spoken to in a long time. This is actually a facebook note, which I am simply copying over to here, since I thought that some of you might be interested in it as well. Enjoy. ...
Read more : My life, updated! | Views : 5590 | Replies : 1

US Patent Law changes?

http://www.itexaminer.com/us-court-thro ... tents.aspx

I don't know how accurate this news source is, but if it's real then I thought it would be worth talking about.
Read more : US Patent Law changes? | Views : 5119 | Replies : 0

Italy issues over 100 warrants in mafia crackdown

Go Italy!

Let's hope this does some good, and nobody gets killed over it. Italian organized crime... tends to do that.

Italy issues over 100 warrants in mafia crackdown

NAPLES, Sep. 30, 2008 (Reuters) — Italian police issued more than 100 arrest warrants in a crackdown against suspected mafiosi in Naples Tuesday, detaining dozens, including three men suspected of one of the region's bloodiest shootings.

Police said several suspected high-ranking members of the Casalesi clan ...
Read more : Italy issues over 100 warrants in mafia crackdown | Views : 6233 | Replies : 2

Privatization of space travel has another success

This is just amazing; there's not much else I can say about it. Space X Did It: Falcon 1 Made it to Space

SpaceX has made history. Its privately developed rocket has made it into space.

After three failed launches, the company founded by Elon Musk worked all of the bugs out of their Falcon 1 launch vehicles.

Eight minutes after leaving the ground, Falcon 1 reached a speed of 5200 meters per ...
Read more : Privatization of space travel has another success | Views : 2013 | Replies : 1

Obesity+Statistics=Whoa

Found a link to a study about The Spread of Obesity in a Large Social Network over 32 Years on Neuroanthropology.

I have no idea what to think of it. Apparently having strong social ties to people as they become obese means that you are statistically more likely to become obese.
<blockquote>A person's chances of becoming obese increased by 57% (95% confidence interval , 6 to 123) if he or she had a friend who ...
Read more : Obesity+Statistics=Whoa | Views : 1547 | Replies : 0

Gender gap in salary influenced by attitude about gender gap

This is wild. A 25-year study that just recently concluded suggests that attitude about the salary gender gap is a big factor in salary for both men and women.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... rss_nation

The differences found in the study were substantial. Men with traditional attitudes about gender roles earned $11,930 more a year than men with egalitarian views and $14,404 more than women with traditional attitudes. The comparisons were based ...
Read more : Gender gap in salary influenced by attitude about gender gap | Views : 2166 | Replies : 1

Poll (actual poll on Livejournal, no account needed)

So I'm researching a question.

Please go to my LJ and follow the instructions there to answer this poll. Please do not post your responses here. I would also prefer that people not discuss their answers here so as not to influence "future voters."
Read more : Poll (actual poll on Livejournal, no account needed) | Views : 2317 | Replies : 2

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 127608 • Total topics 4001 • Total members 141

Yalogank